The Black Flag Thread

General music discussion.
modskin
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Black Flag Thread

Post by modskin »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
modskin wrote: Did Ginn only reunite his version of Flag after Rollins and Morris filed their claim in order to show that he is still using the Black Flag name?
Interesting point.

Whatever the case may be, I bet Henry and Keith have something personal against Ginn to do that originally.
Hah. Not to mention any other musician that released a record through SST. He's notorious for not paying his artists or pursuing legal methods to cut them out or buy them off.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

modskin wrote:The plot thickens... From the Black Flag website/Greg Ginn:

"The dispute over Black Flag is not motivated by an effort to stop anyone from covering Black Flag songs. Quite to the contrary. Henry Garfield (Rollins) and Keith Morris made an effort to hijack the name for their own use. Behind everyone’s back Garfield and Morris last year filed a fraudulent trademark application in which they are claiming to own the name. Had we not taken action, this pair could have snuck this false application through enabling them to stop Black Flag from playing and use of the name for themselves."

– Black Flag

Fishy stuff going on. If this isn't about stopping anyone from covering Black Flag songs and is about Rollins and Morris trying to file ownership of the trademark, then why are they going after Chuck, Bill, Dez, and Steve.

Did Ginn only reunite his version of Flag after Rollins and Morris filed their claim in order to show that he is still using the Black Flag name?

Has anyone considered the possibility that Ginn is insane? Like for real insane?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Did we have a thread specifically for OFF? I Can't remember. Anyways, here's a new song: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/whats-next- ... steal-cars

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Flex wrote:Did we have a thread specifically for OFF? I Can't remember. Anyways, here's a new song: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/whats-next- ... steal-cars

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Sweet!

Side note: Is it just me, or did anyone else think Mario's VU shirt was a Raymond Pettibon design?
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Raymond Pettibon ‏on Twitter (@RaymondPettibon) is on fire tonight...

PnkRckFcytsMaam.Whuyts it been?35+yrs since SST declared me dead .GG(noyt Allin),Markey,Jordan,Carducci,Mugger,GG(Gary),Davo lol.Yall at????

The groupie enablers Dave Markey,Jordan Schwartxz,Davo lol,Chuck,etc are part of the cult and,of course,feeling wronged.Sob,Sob...

Mike V zero charisma luvs cats scks GG dck(for now):wish U best;wnt be my knife stck in yr bck;welcome 2 GG(noyt Allin) wrld

PnkRckFcytsMaam.Henry was loyal as cld be to GG(noytAllin)Returnd in favor knife in his back.This is all Junior HS s--yt. PnkRck.Yall growup

Tell you what:Henry deserved better.The unfounded jealousy toward Rollins was f'd uyp.And he withstooyd iyt above n beyond.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Chris Shary helps show some support to the FLAG side.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

IIII FLAG IS FREE IIII

The good guys won!

(1) the court found that SST had no rights in the trademarks;
(2) Ginn seemed to have no individual rights in the Black Flag trademarks;
(3) even if either had had any rights in those marks, they had abandoned those rights through a failure to police the mark for nearly 30 years;
(4) the defendants’ claim that the Black Flag assets were owned by a statutory partnership comprised of various former band members – even if these members only consisted of Henry and Ginn, based on (a) accepting Ginn’s argument that he never quit and given that there is no evidence or allegation that Henry ever quit – has merit;
(5) that even if the plaintiffs had some trademark claim in the marks, there was no likelihood of consumer confusion between Black Flag and Flag given the ample press coverage over the dispute; and
(6) the trademark application and registration that Henry and Keith made was done in good faith (e.g. not fraudulently) – and is thus not necessarily subject to cancellation – given that they understood their actions to have been done on the part of the Black Flag partnership (see No. 4, above).

http://www.spin.com/articles/flag-black ... pintwitter

Flex

Post by Flex »

That's genuinely great news. Good on 'em.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Does this mean Ginn and Biafra are going to form a band called the Legal System?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

[youtube][/youtube]

A balm for the soul.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

http://www.nme.com/news/black-flag/73654

22 tracks! On SST Records! No word on the eagerly awaited next Good For You album... X(

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Ron Reyes cuts his losses and goes OFF!
Black Flag or “What The…”
November 26, 2013 at 5:21pm

“On November 24th 2013 the last night of the Australian Hits and Pits tour with two songs left in the set Mike V comes on stage stares me down, takes my mic and says “You’re done, party’s over get off it’s over…” He said something else to me but it was a lie so I won’t repeat it here. So with a sense of great relief that it was finally over I left the stage and walked to the hotel room. They finished the set with Mike V on vocals. There is much more that can and perhaps should be said. But for now I will spare you the gory details.

The writing was on the wall since before we played our first show. So many things went wrong from the start. I was into things like having a good drummer, rehearsing and spending time on things like beginnings and endings of songs, being a little less distracted with tour life and a little more on the ball. You know things that would make our efforts worthy of the name Black Flag… Yes it is my opinion that we fell very short indeed and the diminishing ticket sales and crowds are a testament to that. However It was made clear to me that raising these issues was tantamount to a blasphemous stab in the back to Greg. How could I question him, his efforts and hard work?How could I dare be a fan of OFF! And or be friends and a fan of Flag? I was told that I had to chose sides. But I refuse to treat someone like an infallible Pope figure. No guitarist deserves such unquestioning blind devotion.

And so I have been excommunicated in a very strange fashion. I truly feel sorry for anyone who had to witness the infantile behavior and the relentless provocation I was subjected to both on and off the stage. I regret that under such fierce provocation and taunting I sometimes responded in manners bellow my standard. I am grateful for the opportunities Greg gave me. There were some magical moments at first. I was naive enough to believe in the promise of potential. But in the end the good was no match for the overwhelming bad. I am proud of my contributions including the new album and it’s cover. Come on folks it’s only rock n roll.

I would not be surprised if Mike V becomes the new singer for Black Flag. It is my opinion that they have been planing this for some time. I wish them well. Mike is a true disciple of Greg and so they have a good working relationship. And ironically the tension over the last weeks has brought out some of Greg’s best playing. So it could be interesting.

I will miss playing with Dave Klien. He is a great kid and truly an outstanding bass player. Dave was an anchor that kept me from losing my place on a nightly basis. Trust me that was no easy task for either of us. I truly apologize for being in or more accurately “appearing” to be in competition with “Flag”. They know my heart on this matter. From the beginning I was happy for them and fully supported and understood why they would want to rock those songs and have a good time with friends and family. Yes I questioned their use of the name and logo but in no way questioned their motivation or right to do their thing. I envy them for they have succeeded in ways that were never possible with “Black Flag”.

And once again for the record, I agreed to do Black Flag before I knew there was a Flag. I mean no malice towards Greg or Mike although they will most likely see things very differently. I wish them luck and prosperity. I have learned many valuable lessons this year. And these lessons will enrich my personal and musical endeavors. Cheers. Ron Reyes.”
http://dyingscene.com/news/ron-reyes-an ... ery-short/

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

That would be awesome if Flag hired Reyes as second singer. Really shove it up Ginn's ass. Black Flag will be playing empty rooms by Easter.

Flex

Post by Flex »

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

BLACK FLAG WEEK V: FLAG HARDER. June 30-July 6, 2014

Pex Lives!

Sonic