Simmo's Bass Smash - Sep 20th or 21st?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: Simmo's Bass Smash - Sep 20th or 21st?

Post by Rat Patrol »

biopunk wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:OK, I listened to "White Riot" on The Guns of Brixton (GDR CD 9001). I can hear something dropped @ 1:38, then something that sounds like Gluggo's organ, but I guess that's feedback from Simmo's doomed bass.
Would that be @ the 30:36 mark here?

[youtube][/youtube]
More like 30:32-33. 30:36 is when the postmortem reverb kicks in.

This YouTube vid seems to be a touch blown-out at the top, like it did an auto- volume boost on the conversion. The bottom (such that it is) is a little more audible on the "Guns of Brixton" boot from the Megalist. The *thunk* of it hitting the floor is a little less buried than in the YT rip.

JohnnyCaramello
Corner Soul

Post by JohnnyCaramello »

I don't know if this has already been posted :

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Today marks the 35th anniversary of "The Smash."

However, according to this, it was the 20th...

http://stealingalltransmissions.wordpre ... nk-77mash/

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Now convinced that it was the 20th.

[youtube][/youtube]

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Well, now I'm convinced.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Well this changes EVERYTHING :scared:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Any more news on the pitch of the elevator bell on Koka Kola? ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

DaveMarin
Corner Soul

Post by DaveMarin »

This should end this question once and for all. I created a video compiling evidence that, in fact, PROVES the Bass Smash occurred on September 20, 1979, and NOT the 21st (as it says incorrectly on the album credits). This topic has been a bit of an obsession of mine for 35 years - ever since I saw the clash smash with my own eyes that September 20th night at the Palladium in NYC. The moment I got London Calling in January 1980, and turned the album over to see the credit saying "Front Cover: New York Palladium 21.9.79",I knew the record company had made a mistake. Here's the proof:

dave

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

DaveMarin wrote:This should end this question once and for all. I created a video compiling evidence that, in fact, PROVES the Bass Smash occurred on September 20, 1979, and NOT the 21st (as it says incorrectly on the album credits). This topic has been a bit of an obsession of mine for 35 years - ever since I saw the clash smash with my own eyes that September 20th night at the Palladium in NYC. The moment I got London Calling in January 1980, and turned the album over to see the credit saying "Front Cover: New York Palladium 21.9.79",I knew the record company had made a mistake. Here's the proof:

dave
Dave...yep, posted your vid above. Great work.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
DaveMarin wrote:This should end this question once and for all. I created a video compiling evidence that, in fact, PROVES the Bass Smash occurred on September 20, 1979, and NOT the 21st (as it says incorrectly on the album credits). This topic has been a bit of an obsession of mine for 35 years - ever since I saw the clash smash with my own eyes that September 20th night at the Palladium in NYC. The moment I got London Calling in January 1980, and turned the album over to see the credit saying "Front Cover: New York Palladium 21.9.79",I knew the record company had made a mistake. Here's the proof:

dave
Dave...yep, posted your vid above. Great work.
Aye. Solid research and presentation.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

What time did the smash occur? If it was after midnight, it would still technically be Sep 21st.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:What time did the smash occur? If it was after midnight, it would still technically be Sep 21st.
Hahahahahaha :mrgreen:

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

101Walterton wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:What time did the smash occur? If it was after midnight, it would still technically be Sep 21st.
;)

DaveMarin
Corner Soul

Post by DaveMarin »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
;)
Actually over the years that thought had also crossed my mind! However, in one of Pennie Smith's emails to me, she was kind enough to include a photo of the watch that Paul was wearing when he smashed the bass. Apparently he gave it to her as a gift years ago for taking the photo. Someone named Pat Gilbert in their book Passion is a Fashion references the frozen in time moment of the smash at 9:50 PM. THIS IS ALSO WRONG!!! (Just like the actual date was wrong). The time on the watch in the photo sent to me by PS is 10:49. This makes a lot more sense than 9:50 considering shows in NY at the Palladium would typically start at 8PM (or a little after) and with 3 bands on the bill and the Clash playing about 80 minutes the 10:49 time makes perfect sense. (Don't know if a photo of the watch was ever made public-was it part of the London pop up exhibit a few years ago?)

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

DaveMarin wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
;)
Actually over the years that thought had also crossed my mind! However, in one of Pennie Smith's emails to me, she was kind enough to include a photo of the watch that Paul was wearing when he smashed the bass. Apparently he gave it to her as a gift years ago for taking the photo. Someone named Pat Gilbert in their book Passion is a Fashion references the frozen in time moment of the smash at 9:50 PM. THIS IS ALSO WRONG!!! (Just like the actual date was wrong). The time on the watch in the photo sent to me by PS is 10:49. This makes a lot more sense than 9:50 considering shows in NY at the Palladium would typically start at 8PM (or a little after) and with 3 bands on the bill and the Clash playing about 80 minutes the 10:49 time makes perfect sense. (Don't know if a photo of the watch was ever made public-was it part of the London pop up exhibit a few years ago?)
That's excellent.

What kind of watch? An Armagideon Time(x)?

I'll get me coat.