new complete February 25, 1982, Hong Kong

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Slickgonzalez
Dirty Punk

Re: new complete February 25, 1982, Hong Kong

Post by Slickgonzalez »

If the transfer falls through, I'm happy to take on the job. Shoot me a message if you need me. Thanks!

mcintyrepoet
Dirty Punk

Post by mcintyrepoet »

Tapes received safely from the other side of the world and will aim to get mega links for the 4 unedited C90 sides available by the end of this weekend.

Only been able to have the shortest listen but certainly AM not FM and a clearly ill-informed plummy radio presenter has to adlib for about half an hour before the start; the radio station obviously unaware The Clash were invariably late on stage!

Peter

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

mcintyrepoet wrote:
17 May 2017, 8:36am
Tapes received safely from the other side of the world and will aim to get mega links for the 4 unedited C90 sides available by the end of this weekend.

Only been able to have the shortest listen but certainly AM not FM and a clearly ill-informed plummy radio presenter has to adlib for about half an hour before the start; the radio station obviously unaware The Clash were invariably late on stage!

Peter
AM should mean rougher sound?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

mikel
Junco Partner

Post by mikel »

The AM signals usually have a longer range but are poorer in terms of fidelity of the signal they reproduce because the bandwidth of this signal sometimes does not reach beyond 10 KHz. They are sensitive to noise, especially to the atmospheric, ie they are easier to interfere with.

mcintyrepoet
Dirty Punk

Post by mcintyrepoet »

Thanks to poet351 here are the unedited wav files from his 2 C90 tapes of the complete AM radio broadcast (confirmed by a voice over), for those who prefer to edit and process themselves. As a mono source it maybe best to use the best channel (only on end of Charlie and most of P&T is their problems with the right channel.

For those who want to wait a few days to a week I'll later post flac links for the edited and balanced (no processing) files.

Not had a chance to listen properly yet but terrific to have the extra 10 songs and interviews and no edits on Janie and Mag 7 . Sound quality on a par with the 2004 hong king dollars but no station bleed here.

Personally I love this Clash period the band stretch out here benefitting from Topper's abilities and are clearly enjoying themselves despite fighting in the audience.

Lets have some more gems from the vaults please and again major major gratitude to poet 351 from a rainy London to the other side of the globe to a no doubt sunshine filled land of Oz! Cheers mate

Peter

https://mega.nz/#F!msZklBDR!HENkRPELSq6y0BfrDV3dgg

PS let me know if problem downloading

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

The good news. . .
Broadcast quality is 100% identical to the existing boot: full-mixed stereo source fed through a mono AM radio signal. Announcer confirms that it is indeed an AM station that broadcast it. So same thing we had before except for having the complete encores. Zero regressions in sound, however, so the taper knew what he/she was doing and captured it on decent equipment. Having a fresh source there may afford someone with mixing skill on the C90 rip to push it to slightly higher overall sound quality. The boot source is so blown out at the high end it has no wiggle room for improvement, so the fresh rip is welcome for potentially offering a little more headroom to work over the top. Nothing leaps-and-bounds improved because of the fidelity limitations of the AM signal, but minor potential because the blowout on the boot sound strikes me as something bit more compressed than first-gen.

The bad news. . .
Last half of Washington Bullets through the Tommy Gun restart + middle of White Man are still lost because of the radio announcer cutting in, so unfortunately we don't gain anything new there except the announcer's yapping. Holy Grail for this show is still going to be the elusive full stereo mix in the station's vaults that's been rumored to exist but has thus far never been subject to a modern rebroadcast.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

First takes on the new tracks. . .

Jimmy Jazz is amazing. Mick almost takes the vox lead for a spell with his backing, Topper is adding extras all over the place, and there's a long acid bender of a Joe ad-lib-a-thon in the middle.
Joe Strummer wrote:Don't want you ejaculating all over my town!
^^This just made my whole 21st century. Like...boom...a new Top 5'er all-time Strummer verbal utterance on a Friday morning, just like that. :cool:

Complete Control is...I don't want to say "conventional", just because there's nothing conventional about this show...but 'merely' balls-tight and immaculately played. Which is pretty impressive given how fucking long this setlist is. I don't think Mick can scream the choruses any louder than that. They shook off whatever fatigue was starting to creep in on PAT and SEH near the end of the first encore and sound like they could play for another 3 hours here. Nearly every CC-in-encore on this tour is 95th-or-better percentile great, and this is no exception.

Topper punctuates English Civil War with gratuitous extra drumrolls. Otherwise, much like CC in being a second wind of tightness after shaking off the fatigue. Mick's sound is massive.

Mick is completely and totally out of breath racing through POMB and gets rescued by Paul (!) on the choruses. Played much too fast to be all that tight or effective, but a magnificent slopfest. Sort of reminds me of the Shibuya show-closing Complete Control in just being one last massive energy dump before collapsing backstage.

Garageland played properly paced so more like CC & ECW at tightness. Topper is emptying the tank on bag of tricks. Vox harmonies are amazing. Mick's emptying his lungs...extra syllable emphasis on lines like "I don't give a flying FUCK what the rich are doing".

So, yeah...this show just got 25% greater from the addition of these missing tracks. At least as big an addition to the live canon as the One Gig Too Far... boot series with the extra Shibuya encore. And somewhere the full-stereo master tape and a couple more uncut tracks still sit in the station vault, so there's hope this won't be the last new leak from this show.

mikel
Junco Partner

Post by mikel »

Thanks again to all involved. And yes, i like a lot Jimmy Jazz here and never was a personal favourite.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Can't wait to check this out. 😎

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
19 May 2017, 7:38am
First takes on the new tracks. . .

Jimmy Jazz is amazing. Mick almost takes the vox lead for a spell with his backing, Topper is adding extras all over the place, and there's a long acid bender of a Joe ad-lib-a-thon in the middle.
Joe Strummer wrote:Don't want you ejaculating all over my town!
^^This just made my whole 21st century. Like...boom...a new Top 5'er all-time Strummer verbal utterance on a Friday morning, just like that. :cool:

Complete Control is...I don't want to say "conventional", just because there's nothing conventional about this show...but 'merely' balls-tight and immaculately played. Which is pretty impressive given how fucking long this setlist is. I don't think Mick can scream the choruses any louder than that. They shook off whatever fatigue was starting to creep in on PAT and SEH near the end of the first encore and sound like they could play for another 3 hours here. Nearly every CC-in-encore on this tour is 95th-or-better percentile great, and this is no exception.

Topper punctuates English Civil War with gratuitous extra drumrolls. Otherwise, much like CC in being a second wind of tightness after shaking off the fatigue. Mick's sound is massive.

Mick is completely and totally out of breath racing through POMB and gets rescued by Paul (!) on the choruses. Played much too fast to be all that tight or effective, but a magnificent slopfest. Sort of reminds me of the Shibuya show-closing Complete Control in just being one last massive energy dump before collapsing backstage.

Garageland played properly paced so more like CC & ECW at tightness. Topper is emptying the tank on bag of tricks. Vox harmonies are amazing. Mick's emptying his lungs...extra syllable emphasis on lines like "I don't give a flying FUCK what the rich are doing".

So, yeah...this show just got 25% greater from the addition of these missing tracks. At least as big an addition to the live canon as the One Gig Too Far... boot series with the extra Shibuya encore. And somewhere the full-stereo master tape and a couple more uncut tracks still sit in the station vault, so there's hope this won't be the last new leak from this show.
Thanks for the recap, Rattie and thanks for the hard work to all involved. I love getting new shit even in 2017.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Cheers for the work lads, will check this out over the weekend.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Wow. Listening through now and damn, that second encore is so hot. I agree with Rattie's points a lot. Jimmy Jazz is beautiful, Complete Control, English Civil War, and Garageland are tight as hell, and Police On My Back is a bit messy but kicks ass. Both Joe and Mick sound exhausted singing POMB, Paul definitely comes to the rescue on choruses. Probably the most I've really heard Mick's voice crack.

I did notice that the sounds seems to be a touch better than the old source. Its still a bit rough sounding but it still sounds really good. This whole gig just really kicks ass. I love these Far East shows because they bring back the 80 attitude. Play the songs hard and fast while keeping the shows professional. Its one of the later 82 shows where Joe makes a comment about "playing too long in Hong Kong" and they really did. The show comes in at over 2 hours with I believe their record of 34 songs played.
Last edited by River on 19 May 2017, 9:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Nice work, everyone involved. Can't wait to check this out. When the far east tour was at it's best, it's my favorite live Clash.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

poet351
Corner Soul

Post by poet351 »

Thank you to mcintyrepoet for his great work here.

Glad everyone who's posted is enjoying the extra songs not previously available.

And the interview at the end is recorded backstage with Joe and Mick.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Excellent. Also enjoyed the interview at the end. Thanks.