IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back from my first outdoor ride of the year. A crappy final time, tho that's to be expected for the first few rides of the year (I also have a migraine and it's damned windy out there, so that didn't help). Still, it's a better time than I had for the first ten rides of last year, so I can't really complain. There's always that foolish part of me, tho, that thinks my winter conditioning will carry over perfectly and I'll jump right into strong rides.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Saw my spandexed oldsters on their tandem today. What a ridiculous culture.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Anyone have advice for taking up running?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 May 2017, 7:32pm
Get a bike. :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2017, 8:19pm
revbob wrote:
That's been my position most of my life. My current bike is about 25 years old.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 May 2017, 8:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2017, 8:19pm
revbob wrote:
That's been my position most of my life. My current bike is about 25 years old.
Get a new bike. :shifty:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Take it easy, get on some kind of training program (I liked the ones that were run/walk/run intervals to start), maybe sign up for a race to have a goal you're working towards. Male site you have good tunes or a podcast to keep you entertained. Pick routes that will be visually rewarding.

I use the runkeeper app to help design running plans, and that helps me keep on track/motivated to get out every couple of days. If you can find a friend or two to run with, or even just keep you motivated, that's useful.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

So long as Flex is running to the Male Site, he can find the energy.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 May 2017, 10:42am
So long as Flex is running to the Male Site, he can find the energy.
:lol: He has to update his cv to indicate Male Site Runner.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
19 May 2017, 10:16am
Take it easy, get on some kind of training program (I liked the ones that were run/walk/run intervals to start), maybe sign up for a race to have a goal you're working towards. Male site you have good tunes or a podcast to keep you entertained. Pick routes that will be visually rewarding.

I use the runkeeper app to help design running plans, and that helps me keep on track/motivated to get out every couple of days. If you can find a friend or two to run with, or even just keep you motivated, that's useful.
Thanks Flex i'll give rhis a go. and yeah Doc I should get a new bike but I'm part cheap bastard and part paying to much for other shit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If you replace your bike, buy used. Bike shops are horribly overpriced, imo. After that, tho, don't skimp out on getting it tuned up regularly.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 1:33pm
If you replace your bike, buy used. Bike shops are horribly overpriced, imo. After that, tho, don't skimp out on getting it tuned up regularly.
What do bike tune ups consist of?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I haven't started back up running yet this year. I've been mired in a freelance nightmare that's sapping my energy and time, so I can't motivate myself. I've been on a draconian diet to make up for it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 May 2017, 4:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2017, 1:33pm
What do bike tune ups consist of?
Most bike shops will have tiers of thoroughness, with the highest being a dismantling and cleaning of all the parts. But a basic tune-up will involve degreasing the chain and gears then re-oiling, tightening the brake and gear cables and replacing the brake pads, and a spoke check (and replacing any that are suspect).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I haven't done a lot of cycling but I have raced a few Triathlons and a decent bike in good condition makes all the world of difference.