General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: We Built This City On Rock and Roll appreciation thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 4:27pm
Something belched up from my memory gut:

A Canadian hit back in the mid-80s, cut from the same shitty cloth as WBTC, so maybe the shittiest Canadian song of the 80s. Maybe.
Typicals 80's pop fodder but I've heard plenty worse than that. That's not to say I like it (I don't) but it ain't the biggest 80's criminal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 6:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

A Canadian hit back in the mid-80s, cut from the same shitty cloth as WBTC, so maybe the shittiest Canadian song of the 80s. Maybe.
Typicals 80's pop fodder but I've heard plenty worse than that. That's not to say I like it (I don't) but it ain't the biggest 80's criminal.
(1) You totally love it, you awful sub-human.
(2) I did say worst Canadian song of the 80s.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 6:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

(1) It's my new favourite best 80's song.
(2) I'm sure you've posted worse dreck than that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 6:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Worse than the following:
Loverboy
Tragically Hip
Crash Test Dummies
Bare Naked Ladies
Celine Dion

Im sure Im forgetting some.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 7:21pm
From Canada in the 80s? And worse? Maybe, but I'm doubtful.
revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 7:22pm
Loverboy
Tragically Hip
Crash Test Dummies
Bare Naked Ladies

I think only Loverboy were from the 80s and, sadly, I'd say this is worse. This is worse than Corey Hart, Glass Tiger, and Honeymoon Suite.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 7:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Loverboy
Tragically Hip
Crash Test Dummies
Bare Naked Ladies

I think only Loverboy were from the 80s and, sadly, I'd say this is worse. This is worse than Corey Hart, Glass Tiger, and Honeymoon Suite.
Oh those other crappy bands werent 80s bands? I didnt care enough to look but seem to recall people in the late 80s professing love for these bands. Vermont is sometimes a victim of Creeping Canadianism and that shit can rear its ugly head. There's even a Canadain version of a classic rock station whose signal reaches down here. Oh and the one Canadian I forgot to mention Bryan Adams.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 8:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Loverboy
Tragically Hip
Crash Test Dummies
Bare Naked Ladies

Oh those other crappy bands werent 80s bands? I didnt care enough to look but seem to recall people in the late 80s professing love for these bands. Vermont is sometimes a victim of Creeping Canadianism and that shit can rear its ugly head. There's even a Canadain version of a classic rock station whose signal reaches down here. Oh and the one Canadian I forgot to mention Bryan Adams.
They may have started in the 80s, but their success was in the 90s. Bryan Adams has (or had) a reputation here as some kind of Canuck Sprinklespleen. Beyond some kind of bullshit "every man, blue collar [white]" rock, but there's marketing for you.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 8:54pm
revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 8:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Loverboy
Tragically Hip
Crash Test Dummies
Bare Naked Ladies

They may have started in the 80s, but their success was in the 90s. Bryan Adams has (or had) a reputation here as some kind of Canuck Sprinklespleen. Beyond some kind of bullshit "every man, blue collar [white]" rock, but there's marketing for you.
I want to say there was a correlation between the time the Springsteen started receiving large scale broad acceptance and when Bryan Adams started getting big(in the US). And i can see marketing types wanting to frame things that way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 9:00pm
I want to say there was a correlation between the time the Springsteen started receiving large scale broad acceptance and when Bryan Adams started getting big(in the US). And i can see marketing types wanting to frame things that way.
The subtext of the two for marketing was that after all that faggy black disco shit, goddammit, this was real white male rock—guys who change their own oil, drink beer, wear Levis, and fuck girls.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 9:04pm
revbob wrote:
The subtext of the two for marketing was that after all that faggy black disco shit, goddammit, this was real white male rock—guys who change their own oil, drink beer, wear Levis, and fuck girls.
This is one of the many reasons why the gay as anything Frankie Goes to Hollywood cover of Born to Run is so good.

Even now, would Bruce's audience accept him covering something like Jet Boy Jet Girl or Glad to be Gay?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 5:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
This is one of the many reasons why the gay as anything Frankie Goes to Hollywood cover of Born to Run is so good.

Even now, would Bruce's audience accept him covering something like Jet Boy Jet Girl or Glad to be Gay?
Speaking of "Glad to Be Gay" and Tom Robinson, the 2nd track on the Tom Robinson Band's debut ('Power In the Darkness') - "Grey Cortina", features the line "...8-track playing Brucie Springsteen/bomber jacket, dressed to kill".

Bruce's audience is a hell of a lot more versatile and open than certain parochial-minded peeps might assume, especially his large younger fan base. Think of his blessings (and copyrights) for 2 Live Crew's controversial hip-hop cover of "Born In the USA" in the early '90s.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
I'd never really thought of that aspect before, but it is a nice little poke in the eye.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 7:20am
Silent Majority wrote:
I'd never really thought of that aspect before, but it is a nice little poke in the eye.
Just a great version and pisses on Bruce's.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 7:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 7:20am
Silent Majority wrote:
Just a great version and pisses on Bruce's.
Actually, Frankie's version is almost a note-for-note cover of the E Street Band original. Except the singer lacks character and personality. Or, as was said back in the day - before you were born - soul.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 5:48am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Speaking of "Glad to Be Gay" and Tom Robinson, the 2nd track on the Tom Robinson Band's debut ('Power In the Darkness') - "Grey Cortina", features the line "...8-track playing Brucie Springsteen/bomber jacket, dressed to kill".

Bruce's audience is a hell of a lot more versatile and open than certain parochial-minded peeps might assume, especially his large younger fan base. Think of his blessings (and copyrights) for 2 Live Crew's controversial hip-hop cover of "Born In the USA" in the early '90s.
Sure, but there's an undeniable conservative side to the fanbase too.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/