muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 5:48am
Silent Majority wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 5:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 9:04pm
revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 9:00pm
I want to say there was a correlation between the time the Springsteen started receiving large scale broad acceptance and when Bryan Adams started getting big(in the US). And i can see marketing types wanting to frame things that way.
The subtext of the two for marketing was that after all that faggy black disco shit, goddammit, this was real white male rock—guys who change their own oil, drink beer, wear Levis, and fuck girls.
This is one of the many reasons why the gay as anything Frankie Goes to Hollywood cover of Born to Run is so good.

Even now, would Bruce's audience accept him covering something like Jet Boy Jet Girl or Glad to be Gay?
Speaking of "Glad to Be Gay" and Tom Robinson, the 2nd track on the Tom Robinson Band's debut ('Power In the Darkness') - "Grey Cortina", features the line "...8-track playing Brucie Springsteen/bomber jacket, dressed to kill".

Bruce's audience is a hell of a lot more versatile and open than certain parochial-minded peeps might assume, especially his large younger fan base. Think of his blessings (and copyrights) for 2 Live Crew's controversial hip-hop cover of "Born In the USA" in the early '90s.
Sure, but there's an undeniable conservative side to the fanbase too.
No shit. And I don't dig that aspect of his fan-base. I really don't dig it.* But I don't think that's Bruce & Co's fault anymore than Public Enemy's conservative and "old" fan-base is.

EDIT- *I mean I really, truly detest that element of his so-called "fan-base". In maybe the same way that someone might despise a neo-Nazi skinhead who claimed to be a Clash fan.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: We Built This City On Rock and Roll appreciation thread

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 7:45am
Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 7:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 7:20am
Silent Majority wrote:
This is one of the many reasons why the gay as anything Frankie Goes to Hollywood cover of Born to Run is so good.
I'd never really thought of that aspect before, but it is a nice little poke in the eye.
Just a great version and pisses on Bruce's.
Actually, Frankie's version is almost a note-for-note cover of the E Street Band original. Except the singer lacks character and personality. Or, as was said back in the day - before you were born - soul.
Bruce's version is sluggish and over-emoted.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 8:56am
The best part of this comment is that it applies to any of his songs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I'd never really thought of that aspect before, but it is a nice little poke in the eye.
Actually, Frankie's version is almost a note-for-note cover of the E Street Band original. Except the singer lacks character and personality. Or, as was said back in the day - before you were born - soul.
You actually think Frankie's version is somehow superior to the original? And do you even like the tune in the first place? Or are you just winding me up here, as you know I dig Bruce?

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:06am
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You actually think Frankie's version is somehow superior to the original? And do you even like the tune in the first place? Or are you just winding me up here, as you know I dig Bruce?
I honestly love the Frankie version. Bruce's is ok but just doesn't have the zip of the cover. Also, Norman Watt Roy.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:16am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

I honestly love the Frankie version. Bruce's is ok but just doesn't have the zip of the cover. Also, Norman Watt Roy.
Mate - I love you and respect you as a great musician. But you're fucking weird. :scared:

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:18am
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Mate - I love you and respect you as a great musician. But you're fucking weird. :scared:
You've just noticed? Yes, I have some strange tastes, though I think a few may have my back on this one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The absolute adoration that Springsteen inspires in his fans is one of the most baffling things in pop music. Treating him as anything less than the saviour of rock n roll, the working class, and the American Dream is somehow heretical.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:30am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

You've just noticed? Yes, I have some strange tastes, though I think a few may have my back on this one.
You can't beat the original for me. But that FGtH cover is a decent one and does give the track a bit of sparkle.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Oh yeah, who?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:46am
The absolute adoration that Swans inspires in their fans is one of the most baffling things in pop music. Treating them as anything less than the rape-iest of rock n roll, the working class, and the American Dream is somehow heretical.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:48am
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Oh yeah, who?
I'll take the Bruce one first but like I said FGtH version is a good if not just a straight cover with a bit of 80's sparkle. The FGtH doesn't have the same emotion or power but it's well played.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Ahem read the thread title for your answer. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:58am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Ahem read the thread title for your answer. ;)
Yeah good point. But still, it's like saying you prefer Micheal Bolton's cover of Otis' "(Sitting On the)Dock of the Bay". It's just not cricket, chaps.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:46am
The absolute adoration that Swans inspires in their fans is one of the most baffling things in pop music. Treating them as anything less than the rape-iest of rock n roll, the working class, and the American Dream is somehow heretical.
Sit Heston in a room with a CD player and two CD compliations on of The Swans and one of Bruce. Heston will go mad either way but he ain't dying listening to no Swans music.

When it comes to god damn awful cover versions this takes the biscuit.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia