Uh, YES. :lol:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I was in a grocery store just now and "More Than a Feeling" came on. And I realized that I associate it entirely with Heston now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 2:20pm
I was in a grocery store just now and "More Than a Feeling" came on. And I realized that I associate it entirely with Heston now.
You will use respect when thinking of our national anthem, Johnny Canuck.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 2:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You will use respect when thinking of our national anthem, Johnny Canuck.
Blame Heston. I mean, in general: Blame Heston.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

"best albums under 30 minutes" is a fun exercise, imho: http://clashmusic.com/features/snapshot ... 30-minutes
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 12:04am
"best albums under 30 minutes" is a fun exercise, imho: http://clashmusic.com/features/snapshot ... 30-minutes
It was, but this line about the Beatles...
Similar to Dylan, no one has time to delve into the archives completely
...is kind of nonsense. You can start listening to the Beatles’ officially released studio albums at noon and be done before midnight.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 12:13am
Flex wrote:
...is kind of nonsense. You can start listening to the Beatles’ officially released studio albums at noon and be done before midnight.
Very true. For example, I've got a couple buddies/bandmates who are both huge Beatles and Dylan officianados/experts, and they both say that the Beatles have almost nothing in the vaults/studio bootlegs worth hearing, as opposed to, say, the Stones, and of course Dylan - with the whole brilliantly curated Bootleg series - fuggetaboutit. Never mind his huge catalog of regular releases.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 1:01am
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Very true. For example, I've got a couple buddies/bandmates who are both huge Beatles and Dylan officianados/experts, and they both say that the Beatles have almost nothing in the vaults/studio bootlegs worth hearing, as opposed to, say, the Stones, and of course Dylan - with the whole brilliantly curated Bootleg series - fuggetaboutit. Never mind his huge catalog of regular releases.
I really doubt the Stones have much. Their recent special editions had very few outtakes with contemporaneous vocals. Hell, Sticky Fingers was seriously scrounging for bonus material and I remember them having the curious excuse that they used it all on the Exile special edition (because those were the same sessions, what?).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I would have been playing imaginary guitar whilst sliding on my knees along the aisles.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 12:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I would have been playing imaginary guitar whilst sliding on my knees along the aisles.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And I'd be making firm separation from you, getting as many aisles away to make clear that I don't know you and that I wouldn't step in if you were thrown out of the store.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 4:11pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And I'd be making firm separation from you, getting as many aisles away to make clear that I don't know you and that I wouldn't step in if you were thrown out of the store.
‘Clean up in aisle 4 please’.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 4:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 4:11pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
‘Clean up in aisle 4 please’.
50 sec in.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

matedog wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 9:43am
muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 1:01am
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
I really doubt the Stones have much. Their recent special editions had very few outtakes with contemporaneous vocals. Hell, Sticky Fingers was seriously scrounging for bonus material and I remember them having the curious excuse that they used it all on the Exile special edition (because those were the same sessions, what?).
Matey, the amount of release quality studio stuff the Stones have is staggering. (they are also notoriously stingy and lazy with their recent deluxe editions. Lazier than even Bruce Inc.). The guy who runs the 'Rocks Off' board, Gazza ( a friend of our TeddyB), should be (and has in fact offered to be) a paid curator for future Stones studio (and live) output. Just do some YouTube sampling (very easy stuff to find), and you'll see what I mean - finished songs, no modern overdubbed vocals, produced and engineered by Jimmy Miller, Glyn Johns, Chris Kimsey, etc.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs