What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In anticipation of a new Bruce Gilbert album coming out in a couple weeks, I dip my toe in some older stuff, starting with one that I was always lukewarm towards. A lot of variety here—drone, ambient, noise—but it's never grabbed me much.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Talking Heads - The Name of this Band is Talking Heads. Not Stop Making Sense. I usually go to Stop Making Sense when I'm leaning towards Talking Heads. This is a much different sound that Stop Making Sense - much more spare and herky-jerky/quirky/arty - the guitars are more prominent. I really like this sound as well as the fuller sound of SMS. If all you know of the Talking Heads live is SMS, you should listen to this.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

gkbill wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 6:34pm
Hello,

Talking Heads - The Name of this Band is Talking Heads. Not Stop Making Sense. I usually go to Stop Making Sense when I'm leaning towards Talking Heads. This is a much different sound that Stop Making Sense - much more spare and herky-jerky/quirky/arty - the guitars are more prominent. I really like this sound as well as the fuller sound of SMS. If all you know of the Talking Heads live is SMS, you should listen to this.

Personal taste and all, but I prefer this to SMS.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

The best Beatles album released in 1967...

Yeah, I'm pandering to the Inder demographic.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Wolter wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 7:43pm

Woldertown, baby. 😎

(Indter? Woltnder?)

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 7:50pm
Wolter wrote:

Woldertown, baby. 😎
I forgot how brilliant a debut this is.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 7:51pm
Inder wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 7:50pm
Wolter wrote:

Woldertown, baby. 😎
I forgot how brilliant a debut this is.
It's a quality album for sure.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

David Bowie, 'Cracked Actor: Live Los Angeles '74' (2017).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Had to do a shitpile of walking today, so I spent it reacquainting myself with Pylon, who may have a real claim to being the best band out of Athens, GA. They would have fit in perfectly with the UK post-punk scene, particularly early Scritti Politti, A Certain Ration, Au Pairs, and Girls at Our Best, with hints of Wire in there. Very spare, not especially melodic songs built around bass lines, with vocals that seem like snippets of commentary.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 4:27pm

Had to do a shitpile of walking today, so I spent it reacquainting myself with Pylon, who may have a real claim to being the best band out of Athens, GA. They would have fit in perfectly with the UK post-punk scene, particularly early Scritti Politti, A Certain Ration, Au Pairs, and Girls at Our Best, with hints of Wire in there. Very spare, not especially melodic songs built around bass lines, with vocals that seem like snippets of commentary.
I like Vanessa's voice when she gets really aggressive, as in "Dub."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 5:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 4:27pm

I like Vanessa's voice when she gets really aggressive, as in "Dub."
Her style certainly wouldn't be for everyone, but there's an anti-singing quality to what she does that complements the music so well. I know I'm a broken record on the topic, but that period between 1978 and 1982 is so often where my head and heart return. There's a skepticism of rock even while playing with the tropes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

After reading this:
http://thequietus.com/articles/24193-to ... f-all-time

I've dialled up on Spotify this:

I've heard of not a single band on the disc, but so far it's been pretty darn good. The romantic in me loves compilations like these and the great punk series Killed By Death, that there's this largely unknown history of bands that released a couple singles in small batches and then disappeared. Just these weird little documents that serve as evidence that they existed, made their small bit of art, then stopped. And someone managed to save the records and make these records to keep them alive in some way.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Theres a lot of great little gems out there. Bands that only releases one or a couple of songs but the fury is there. Gotta love it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Hawkwind's debut.
Attachments
Hawkwind - Hawkwind.jpg
Hawkwind - Hawkwind.jpg (653.88 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 7:08pm
After reading this:
http://thequietus.com/articles/24193-to ... f-all-time

I've dialled up on Spotify this:

I've heard of not a single band on the disc, but so far it's been pretty darn good. The romantic in me loves compilations like these and the great punk series Killed By Death, that there's this largely unknown history of bands that released a couple singles in small batches and then disappeared. Just these weird little documents that serve as evidence that they existed, made their small bit of art, then stopped. And someone managed to save the records and make these records to keep them alive in some way.
You've never heard of the Spunky Onions?!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc