The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
11 May 2018, 4:59pm
Who would have laid any money on this becoming a worldwide hit?

Me! as I met Martin Rushent (R.I.P.) around this time and he was a great guy and a genius producer. Just take a look at the list of who he produced.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
11 May 2018, 5:13pm
If U2 had been fatally electrocuted at Red Rocks and they would be legends in my eyes. Watching the gig now for the first time in ages, they were an incredible live entity at this point.
Nasty :naughty:

But yeah a terrific live band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

eumaas wrote:
11 May 2018, 11:46am
Between people being upset about the Thermals breaking up and the man from Frightened Rabbit dying, two bands I have without exaggeration never heard of, I feel like I've had some kind of stroke. I guess this is what getting older is.
I only know of the Thermals because there was an obnoxious, belligerent White Sox fan at Snews who wouldn’t shut the fuck up about them ever.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
12 May 2018, 8:52am
eumaas wrote:
Between people being upset about the Thermals breaking up and the man from Frightened Rabbit dying, two bands I have without exaggeration never heard of, I feel like I've had some kind of stroke. I guess this is what getting older is.
I only know of the Thermals because there was an obnoxious, belligerent White Sox fan at Snews who wouldn’t shut the fuck up about them ever.
I remember that guy.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
By any chance that guy didn’t have a name like Smokie or with Smoke in it in some form or other?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 May 2018, 5:57pm
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
By any chance that guy didn’t have a name like Smokie or with Smoke in it in some form or other?
I think so.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Wolter wrote:
12 May 2018, 7:32pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
I think so.
It just instantly rang about 10 bells, being from Chicago and wittering on and on in a semi-literate fashion about obscure bands nobody had ever heard the fuck of. I committed the cardinal error once of, very politely, asking him to refrain from continually posting pro-IRA messages and lived to regret it. One of the bands he wouldn’t shut the fuck up about actually was a three word name that spelled out IRA which I didn’t take to be an innocent coincidence. A real charmer.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2018, 6:15am
Wolter wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
I think so.
It just instantly rang about 10 bells, being from Chicago and wittering on and on in a semi-literate fashion about obscure bands nobody had ever heard the fuck of. I committed the cardinal error once of, very politely, asking him to refrain from continually posting pro-IRA messages and lived to regret it. One of the bands he wouldn’t shut the fuck up about actually was a three word name that spelled out IRA which I didn’t take to be an innocent coincidence. A real charmer.
Yep. Yep. That’s the one. I remember thinking “why is the only message board person I know within a day’s drive of me this asshead?”

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Wolter wrote:
13 May 2018, 2:39pm
Low Down Low wrote:
13 May 2018, 6:15am
Wolter wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I think so.
Yep. Yep. That’s the one. I remember thinking “why is the only message board person I know within a day’s drive of me this asshead?”
He was a bit like your drunk uncle at a wedding, uttering a stream of lewd comments and making passes at the bridesmaids. After a while everybody decides the best thing is just to ignore him. After I confronted him, I idly wondered if everybody else on the board was ok with his IRA drivel to which one poster replied, not altogether helpfully I felt: "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." I did think it was a decent board otherwise, at that stage of its life at least.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My kid is in a school play, he has some line that mentions Springsteen, he replaced that with the Ramones.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 May 2018, 8:02pm
My kid is in a school play, he has some line that mentions Springsteen, he replaced that with the Ramones.
I really can't see any of the Ramones working on their car, hoping to find the real America driving in the Midwest, past the closed factories and the broken dreams of the blue-collar worker.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2018, 8:41pm
revbob wrote:
I really can't see any of the Ramones working on their car, hoping to find the real America driving in the Midwest, past the closed factories and the broken dreams of the blue-collar worker.
Those no-good whippersnaps just learned a very valuable lesson about when it's time to get in the fuckin' van, Richie. :naughty:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
Love it. Nice work!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
16 May 2018, 12:42pm
How inspiring was Mark E. Smith's swimming pool?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft