NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by 101Walterton »

I get confused with all the different offers and packages :huh:

Is this :

The same as the Ltd Edition Super Delux advertised at Joe Strummer.com ?

One is $119 USD and Amazon is 110 quid ??

I want the CD, Vinyl and book what is the best way to do that??????

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

I had settled on getting the book and CD for $39, but after looking over the contents of the deluxe set I'm going to have to get it. I don't want to pay that much extra, but I must have that US North demo. Honestly, I probably won't open it and will download everything. I just want to have the physical thing. Silly, I know, but a guy only gets one favorite band, and the Clash is mine.

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

River wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 11:21pm
Oh hell yeah it's finally happening! I can finally hear the studio version of US North, and I'm so happy about it. I've waited so long to hear this as it's one of my favorite songs ever, I can't wait to see what it sounds like with Joe and Mick. Will be cool to hear the differences in the 10 minute version and the 6 minute version other than lyric changes.
I feel the same! I cannot wait to hear this. I'm imagining it as the last Clash song.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

matedog wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 10:08am
Wow, some really interesting stuff on this. Other than the previously unreleased stuff, we'll finally have cleaned up versions of Burning Lights and It's a Rockin World. Am I reading this right that Pete Howard gets cowriting credits on TIE and Pouring Rain???
I don’t think so. The names listed are the artists, not the writers. Like Electric Doghouse.” It notably credits only Joe, Paul and Pete on those demos. No Nick Sheppard. Also, not “Clash.”

The basement demo of US North will refer to Mick’s old home studio.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 12:30am
I get confused with all the different offers and packages :huh:

Is this :

The same as the Ltd Edition Super Delux advertised at Joe Strummer.com ?

One is $119 USD and Amazon is 110 quid ??

I want the CD, Vinyl and book what is the best way to do that??????
Yes, it seems to be the same thing, the bullet point summary of contents seems to be the same on the Amazon and Joe Strummer sites. 2x CD, 4 x Vinyl, 7” single, booklet and cassette.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 12:17am
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 10:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 7:00pm
Slickgonzalez wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 5:05pm
I'm guessing the Pouring Rain (1984) is a studio version with Clash 2? I sure fucking hope so... Or a pristine SBD live version would be cool too.
As 2. "Czechoslovak Song / Where Is England" is a version of This Is England then I think it's safe to say "Pouring Rain" is the Clash II". Especially as it states "Strummer, Simonon & Howard". ;)
Is Pouring Rain more likely to be When Pigs Fly arrangement than the great live versions?
Sorry was looking on my phone before!!!

I see both arrangements of Pouring Rain are included, 1984 Clash 2 and then Joe's arrangement for When Pigs Fly 1993.
I think someone left the cake out in the rain. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TJM
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by TJM »

Incredibly excited about this! It brought me out of lurker mode, even. I'd nearly given up hope of any Joe package. Anyone else find it odd that the cover art is literally a driver's license photo? One of the super deluxe extras is a replica driver's license. Considering the number of photos of Joe from any period of his life, it just seems weird. But not so weird that I'm balking at making a purchase!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 1:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 12:12pm
What's really funny about the dumb "rebellion into money" barb is that of all the notable bands from that period, the Clash have been notably averse to releasing rehashed compilations. We get a new Sex Pistols best-of or Bollocks release seemingly every two years and the Fall were legendary in slapping together odd mixes and live cuts every few months. Joe's been dead for fifteen-plus years and this is the first proper summary release. Just milking that cow, huh?
I'm not agreeing with the hey-look-me-I-can-quote-a-Clash-lyric bullshit...but

Whilst not in the same league as The Jam when it comes to compilations they (The Clash) still have put out more than you think Let's have a look then doc. Not over milking the cow but us fans have bought their stuff over and over.

Not in any order :

The Story of The Clash Vol. 1
The Singles
Sound System
The Crucial Music : Clash Collection
The Crucial Music : 1977 Revisited
Hits Back
The Clash - The Clash compilation
Clash On Broadway
Black Market Clash
Super Black Market Clash
The Clash - Collectors Series
The Essential Clash

Plus the albums have been reissued at least three times.
Not to be a stickler, but both BMCs provided things to the US market upon their release that did not exist in any other format. SBMC especially was the first CD appearance of a lot of those tracks.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 4:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
What's really funny about the dumb "rebellion into money" barb is that of all the notable bands from that period, the Clash have been notably averse to releasing rehashed compilations. We get a new Sex Pistols best-of or Bollocks release seemingly every two years and the Fall were legendary in slapping together odd mixes and live cuts every few months. Joe's been dead for fifteen-plus years and this is the first proper summary release. Just milking that cow, huh?

Whilst not in the same league as The Jam when it comes to compilations they (The Clash) still have put out more than you think Let's have a look then doc. Not over milking the cow but us fans have bought their stuff over and over.

Not in any order :

The Singles
Sound System
Hits Back
Clash On Broadway
Black Market Clash
Super Black Market Clash
The Essential Clash

Not to be a stickler, but both BMCs provided things to the US market upon their release that did not exist in any other format. SBMC especially was the first CD appearance of a lot of those tracks.
Of course I'm aware of that for you youngsters of the CD age. Us older ones had bought all the vinyl editions. But hey that's not the point I'm making here. I'm just pointing out that there have been more compilations than most folk probably realise.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Interested to hear if Minstrel Boy is the version from the Black Hawk Down soundtrack (which I love) or a different one?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 5:06pm
Wolter wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 4:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not in any order :

The Singles
Sound System
Hits Back
Clash On Broadway
Black Market Clash
Super Black Market Clash
The Essential Clash

Of course I'm aware of that for you youngsters of the CD age. Us older ones had bought all the vinyl editions. But hey that's not the point I'm making here. I'm just pointing out that there have been more compilations than most folk probably realise.
When "The Clash" first appeared on CD it was the US edition that was released leaving UK fans to scratch their heads and buy the 1977 Revisited CD in order to hear the 4 omitted tracks from the UK edition.

Not suggesting that the band had anything to do with this. But I thought it was a dirty trick by Sony/CBS.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 5:11pm
Interested to hear if Minstrel Boy is the version from the Black Hawk Down soundtrack (which I love) or a different one?
It's the version with George Formby on Ukulele. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

“Before We Go Forward”? Is this something from the Lucky Eight demos? Different name? Or are the demos included that credit Joe, Paul and Pete all previous to anyone else joining the fun? Why else is Nick not mentioned?

U.S. North is not an outtake from “Sid and Nancy.”

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 5:19pm
“Before We Go Forward”? Is this something from the Lucky Eight demos? Different name? Or are the demos included that credit Joe, Paul and Pete all previous to anyone else joining the fun? Why else is Nick not mentioned?

It appears that it's an unreleased demo. Strange if it isn't from those Lucky 8 sessions that it should be paired with This Is England. Althought not having Sheppard mentioned suggests it was prior to his joining the band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 5:19pm
Candy Mountain, according to Uncut.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/new-joe-str ... cks-106184

A lot of good info there, if it’s all correct.