NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Marky Dread »

I still think a track from "The Cost of Living E.P." needs to be used to sell washing powder. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

JohnS wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 1:54pm
This all very exciting... and great to know this project which was first mentioned in an interview with Joe's widow years ago is coming to fruition. And I like the suggestion that there may be more volumes to come, although I'm not holding my breath.

Interesting to see that the 'Rock Art...' album track Sandpaper Blues is listed as being from the compilation album of the same name, released 1995. And it was credited there as being by the name 'Radar' - although I have the Sandpaper Blues set on CDRs and it's the same as the Mescaleros version. Joe obviously let his mate use the song for his Sandpaper Blues project, long before the Mescaleros album appeared. Maybe he chose a pseudonym for legal reasons or something.

https://flashbak.com/joe-strummers-wild ... es-364975/

Info on the album here - and yes all the songs are the same title, but completely different. It's not all covers of one song:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sandpap ... e/11873815

It was a 2CD set I think - I've never seen a real copy, I have it spread over 3 CDRs - although my version has a different running order; the first track is Wayne Kramer's, so CD1 is actually track 16 through to track 35 (Trojans); CD2 is track 1 (Joe) through to track 15 (Maria McKee) and then mine has an extra track by 'M. C. Harg', a country tune about being an artist working with wood/ sandpaper, which I assume is Gordon McHarg himself?
I think in his London Calling BBC programme Joe played Sandpaper Blues and credited it to "Radar"

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

chocolatejesus wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 1:17pm
JohnS wrote:
This all very exciting... and great to know this project which was first mentioned in an interview with Joe's widow years ago is coming to fruition. And I like the suggestion that there may be more volumes to come, although I'm not holding my breath.

Interesting to see that the 'Rock Art...' album track Sandpaper Blues is listed as being from the compilation album of the same name, released 1995. And it was credited there as being by the name 'Radar' - although I have the Sandpaper Blues set on CDRs and it's the same as the Mescaleros version. Joe obviously let his mate use the song for his Sandpaper Blues project, long before the Mescaleros album appeared. Maybe he chose a pseudonym for legal reasons or something.

Info on the album here - and yes all the songs are the same title, but completely different. It's not all covers of one song:

It was a 2CD set I think - I've never seen a real copy, I have it spread over 3 CDRs - although my version has a different running order; the first track is Wayne Kramer's, so CD1 is actually track 16 through to track 35 (Trojans); CD2 is track 1 (Joe) through to track 15 (Maria McKee) and then mine has an extra track by 'M. C. Harg', a country tune about being an artist working with wood/ sandpaper, which I assume is Gordon McHarg himself?
I think in his London Calling BBC programme Joe played Sandpaper Blues and credited it to "Radar"
Wasn't the version he played the original recording with Richard Norris? I remember hearing the name 'Strummerville' being banded about for their recordings, but when he played it the name was Radar. I think (and would appreciate someone who knows better to comment) that the Radar version is from the same time as 'War Cry' from the Gross Point Blanc soundtrack, and wonder if there's more material hidden away there.

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

dave202 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 12:52pm
chocolatejesus wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 1:17pm
JohnS wrote:

[/quot
Wasn't the version he played the original recording with Richard Norris? I remember hearing the name 'Strummerville' being banded about for their recordings, but when he played it the name was Radar. I think (and would appreciate someone who knows better to comment) that the Radar version is from the same time as 'War Cry' from the Gross Point Blanc soundtrack, and wonder if there's more material hidden away there.
I think you are right. If I remember correctly, Salewicz writes about this in Redemption Song.
- Pilled up and rrattling -

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

https://joe-strummer-foundation.backstr ... is-burning

Limited edition single of London is Burning available. It is on the Anthology too.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

Anyone got any info on an iTunes/Apple Music release or preorder for this?
I’d love them to start drip feeding some more tracks in the lead up to release...

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Carpentologist wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 5:24am
Anyone got any info on an iTunes/Apple Music release or preorder for this?
I’d love them to start drip feeding some more tracks in the lead up to release...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/joe-s ... 1403550337

It would’ve been great if the iTunes version included the 3 tracks that are on the super deluxe version or sold them separately.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I'm incredibly famous because I am Jandek, and I am invited to all of the hottest Hollywood parties, some of which I visit. Because of my stature, I have a copy of this anthology. Observations:

-the When Pigs Fly stuff sounds better in this remastering, and brings out a wistfulness in Rose of Erin that I dig
-Before We Go Forward sounds a bit like Dylan on Letterman. Real choppy, I like it a lot.
-Joe's voice is definitely in US North somewhere if you believe hard enough.
-I'm skeptical that this is all that's in the vaults, because the set is missing some obvious songs that are already circulating and has a bunch of previously released stuff. I mean, why is the regular version of Johnny Appleseed on here but not the Blitzkrieg Bop single?

Anyway, I'm not sure who this is for. It's not deep enough for a head and probably too alienating to a casual listener, as it includes all these sketches of songs that grind the momentum down.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

CorwoodRep wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 7:34pm
I'm incredibly famous because I am Jandek, and I am invited to all of the hottest Hollywood parties, some of which I visit. Because of my stature, I have a copy of this anthology. Observations:

-the When Pigs Fly stuff sounds better in this remastering, and brings out a wistfulness in Rose of Erin that I dig
-Before We Go Forward sounds a bit like Dylan on Letterman. Real choppy, I like it a lot.
-I'm skeptical that this is all that's in the vaults, because the set is missing some obvious songs that are already circulating and has a bunch of previously released stuff. I mean, why is the regular version of Johnny Appleseed on here but not the Blitzkrieg Bop single?

Anyway, I'm not sure who this is for. It's not deep enough for a head and probably too alienating to a casual listener, as it includes all these sketches of songs that grind the momentum down.
presumably the 001 subtitle suggests an 002, yeah? in any case, glad you're running your corwood industries cd bulk sale, jandek.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 9:10pm
CorwoodRep wrote:

presumably the 001 subtitle suggests an 002, yeah? in any case, glad you're running your corwood industries cd bulk sale, jandek.
Counterpoint to the likelihood of 002:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

CorwoodRep wrote:

With the press release that came when this set was announced talking about the archive of Joe’s stuff containing 20,000 items, I’m hoping that this is just a beginning of regular releases including expanded, remixed, remastered editions of the wilderness era albums etc.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Carpentologist wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 3:14am
CorwoodRep wrote:

With the press release that came when this set was announced talking about the archive of Joe’s stuff containing 20,000 items, I’m hoping that this is just a beginning of regular releases including expanded, remixed, remastered editions of the wilderness era albums etc.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure (hopeful) that this is the first in the series of many.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

CorwoodRep wrote:

Weird that there's no Joe on US North when this is a Joe Strummer compilation. Is there not a trace?

On your last point, I think that the rarities will be dripped out with officially released stuff to maximise sales.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

CorwoodRep wrote:

Hey Jandek, thanks for taking a break from your celeb studded coke parties and atonal folk records to chime in here.

But seriously, this tempers my expectations.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

New track officially released:

Old version:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.