Public Image Limited

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread »

Hardly new news and really quite boring. He is entitled to suoport who he likes if he really likes Trump as much as he says. It's obvious that he still enjoys getting up people's noses and maybe he has that in common with Trump.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 11:16pm

I spoke too soon...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic ... ette.html
Ugh. Sympathizing with monsters, past and present, you're nearing Morrisseyville, John. It ain't clever or edgy,
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 6:47am
revbob wrote:

I spoke too soon...
Ugh. Sympathizing with monsters, past and present, you're nearing Morrisseyville, John. It ain't clever or edgy,
Who is he sympathizing with from the past?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 7:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I spoke too soon...
He spoke sympathetically of Thatcher when she was finally recalled back to hell. He also saw/sees George W. Bush as a good man.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

It is heartbreaking to see one of your heroes go this way, poor man seems in a terrible state, I hope he's ok

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 7:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I spoke too soon...
He spoke sympathetically of Thatcher when she was finally recalled back to hell. He also saw/sees George W. Bush as a good man.

Unaware of the George W. Bush quote. But I thought all he said about Thatcher was he wouldn't speak ill of the dead.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 11:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I spoke too soon...

Unaware of the George W. Bush quote. But I thought all he said about Thatcher was he wouldn't speak ill of the dead.
WIth Thatcher it was a "let bygones be bygones" thing. As if it was a disagreement over what colour to paint the living room thirty years ago. The guy carries a white-hot grudge against record company execs and lawyers—and I don't begrudge him that one bit—but he's become a lot more charitable to the memories of greater evil. My guess is that his loathing of the sensationalist media is so great that he kneejerk sympathizes with other people ripped by the press, not pausing to wonder if all cases are different and that some people are genuine assholes who deserve our unending scorn.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 11:10am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

WIth Thatcher it was a "let bygones be bygones" thing. As if it was a disagreement over what colour to paint the living room thirty years ago. The guy carries a white-hot grudge against record company execs and lawyers—and I don't begrudge him that one bit—but he's become a lot more charitable to the memories of greater evil. My guess is that his loathing of the sensationalist media is so great that he kneejerk sympathizes with other people ripped by the press, not pausing to wonder if all cases are different and that some people are genuine assholes who deserve our unending scorn.
I think you're on the right track...but I always thought he was smarter than that...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 11:10am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Okay I'll take your word for it on Thatcher. I certainly don't remember him ever saying the "let bygones be bygones" thing only that he wouldn't speak Ill of the dead a similar stance he took with McLaren's passing. So what was the George W. Bush stuff?

The problem I have with all this is how people get narked when he's no longer the Johh Rotten of 1977 etc. As if he's let everybody down in some way due to any possible change in his political view. He has not been that guy for 30 plus years and made it quite clear to me when he sang this "I'm going over to the other side, I'm happy to have, not to have not".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 11:46am
Okay I'll take your word for it on Thatcher. I certainly don't remember him ever saying the "let bygones be bygones" thing only that he wouldn't speak Ill of the dead a similar stance he took with McLaren's passing. So what was the George W. Bush stuff?
Mind you, I'm not quoting him re. Thatcher—just capturing the sentiment. With W., he said that he wasn't the smartest guy around, but you could tell he was doing his best for his country and deserved people's support. This wasn't right after 11 Sept, but well into the occupation of Iraq and the revelations of torture by American agents and their proxies.
The problem I have with all this is how people get narked when he's no longer the Johh Rotten of 1977 etc. As if he's let everybody down in some way due to any possible change in his political view. He has not been that guy for 30 plus years and made it quite clear to me when he sang this "I'm going over to the other side, I'm happy to have, not to have not".
It doesn't have to be so binary. I don't expect him to be an angry young man until he's in the ground, but becoming an apologist for nasty individuals and institutions is way to the other side. Maybe he always was purely self-interested and his criticism was just about his personal exclusion from the good life, not a more collective outrage, and once he got in, the hell with us all. Maybe, dunno. But it is depressing when a figure who was quite instrumental in gain a healthier critical perspective towards real evil in the world becomes seemingly more sympathetic to those people. It doesn't change my values, but it's easier to appreciate the art when you don't have to increasingly push the artist to the side in your head.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 12:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 11:46am
Mind you, I'm not quoting him re. Thatcher—just capturing the sentiment. With W., he said that he wasn't the smartest guy around, but you could tell he was doing his best for his country and deserved people's support. This wasn't right after 11 Sept, but well into the occupation of Iraq and the revelations of torture by American agents and their proxies.
It doesn't have to be so binary. I don't expect him to be an angry young man until he's in the ground, but becoming an apologist for nasty individuals and institutions is way to the other side. Maybe he always was purely self-interested and his criticism was just about his personal exclusion from the good life, not a more collective outrage, and once he got in, the hell with us all. Maybe, dunno. But it is depressing when a figure who was quite instrumental in gain a healthier critical perspective towards real evil in the world becomes seemingly more sympathetic to those people. It doesn't change my values, but it's easier to appreciate the art when you don't have to increasingly push the artist to the side in your head.
I agree very much with this "but it's easier to appreciate the art when you don't have to increasingly push the artist to the side in your head".

However I never looked towards John or the Pistols for any kind of Political inspirarion that came from elsewhere. I was always an admirer of the personal politics and their idea of fun. They always struck me as cartoon characters just thumbing their collective noses up at all the futillity of large institutions and stuffy attitudes. They went against the grain of the time and the stupid acceptability that just because something has been this way for years then so shall it remain.

I've only been interested in him as a musical force of nature now some time with obvious diminishing returns. I don't get offended that he's a arrogant asshole at times and that he is always right by some ill judged way of proxy.

We always have those two great albums NMTB and Metal Box and I won't let him ruin my pleasure of listening to those ad infinitum.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 12:35pm
We always have those two great albums NMTB and Metal Box and I won't let him ruin my pleasure of listening to those ad infinitum.
However critical or jaundiced I get with Lydon these days, I do remind myself that, holy crap, for a three- or four-year period, he was *vital*. Metal Box still doesn't sound like it belongs to any time period before or since. And, as I mentioned, the guy helped change my life for the much, much better.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im well passed looking at people who I admire for one reason or another as heroes because people are people and hero worship or whatever you want to call it tends to see the person as perfect/infallable and if you take that approach you will ultimately be disappointed. But don't be a dick isn't too high a bar to set for your fellow human is it?

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Not much more I can add to that, well said, First Edition was pretty mind blowing too

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

coffeepotman wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 1:11pm
Not much more I can add to that, well said, First Edition was pretty mind blowing too
I sometimes can't decide between the two. First Edition has a rawness that I really enjoy, and Jim Walker's drumming is great too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc