Do we know about this footage already?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Do we know about this footage already?

Post by Kory »

From the poster:

This footage of Strummer & The Latino Rockabilly War performing "Straight to Hell" has never been seen before. I was one of the 2 cameras that shot it at the Tabernacle in Notting Hill, London in 1988 as part of the Green Wedge Benefit Tour. I found it while going through some old tapes. It was shot on 3/4" Umatic tapes for the technically curious. I was part of a community video group that ran out of Mangrove Studios on All Saints Road which at that time was a "No Go" zone for the police. The video mixing between cameras was done by someone who didn't have much experience doing it which is why it is sort of... well.... messy. And which may be why it was never released. Video quality isn't very good because of standards conversions, dubs etc but still, it is Strummer performing which is pretty cool.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Do we know about this footage already?

Post by Kory »

Ah, another from the same poster:

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Yeah it was posted not too long ago, but that was the first time it seemed we had seen it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Yeah and here's the third one...
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 1:05pm
Ah, another from the same poster:

A) We get it. You're drumming.

B) Imagine performing a song of that quality and at that level of passion and basically nobody notices. Must be a headfuck.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 1:04pm

From the poster:

This footage of Strummer & The Latino Rockabilly War performing "Straight to Hell" has never been seen before. I was one of the 2 cameras that shot it at the Tabernacle in Notting Hill, London in 1988 as part of the Green Wedge Benefit Tour. I found it while going through some old tapes. It was shot on 3/4" Umatic tapes for the technically curious. I was part of a community video group that ran out of Mangrove Studios on All Saints Road which at that time was a "No Go" zone for the police. The video mixing between cameras was done by someone who didn't have much experience doing it which is why it is sort of... well.... messy. And which may be why it was never released. Video quality isn't very good because of standards conversions, dubs etc but still, it is Strummer performing which is pretty cool.
Don't like the lead guitar and I dislike his shirt even more ;)

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Didn't want to start a new thread for this. Has this been posted here? Someone compiled various video clips of Joe with the permanent record theme song.