US North

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: US North

Post by Silent Majority »

I thought I could hear Joe's guitar on this from the start, but I'm bowing out completely from the discussion on his presence on the track effective now.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 4:46am
matedog wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 10:39am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 10:57pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 1:02am
Give it a try. It's possible Marky's edit may be derived from a non-brickwalled source.
I tried more than once. Still no Joe joy.
Try on the 10:30 minute version at exactly 2:39, you can very distinctly hear Joe on the second "tell me whyyyyy." Joe holds the note a good bit longer.
This. You can quite clearly hear Joe on that bit.

Arguments about Joe's vocal aside, what a fucking fantastic track, I'm loving it more with every play, though I'm inclined to go with the two edited versions rather than the whole shebang.
Someone said once you can hear him, you can't unhear him. In other words, it took my awhile, but I hear him on almost every line now. Mick is definitely mixed higher, so it's very understandable why so many are having a hard time hearing it.

But yeah, this song is way better than I had expected it to be.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:25am
Someone said once you can hear him, you can't unhear him. In other words, it took my awhile, but I hear him on almost every line now. Mick is definitely mixed higher, so it's very understandable why so many are having a hard time hearing it.
Spot on.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 1:05am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 1:01am
The Joe Strummer 001 liner notes give Joe a guitar credit:

JS001 CD Booklet 3.jpg
I'm sure it would be easy to stop the doubters. Just ask TeddyB to confirm from Mick how much Joe contributed vocal wise.
I doubt I can quell the doubters. However, per Mick, Joe is singing through the entire track and also plays guitar. If the song had been used on the proposed 2011 BAD album, Joe was to have been specifically credited.

I haven't discussed this with Mick in terms of this thread, but my take is close to Marky's. Both Joe and Mick recorded lead vocal tracks (Mick's is doubled as well). We see in the 001 notebook that Joe had at one point given a name to the "group" (Joe Strummer & the Dragsters), as he did with the Sid and Nancy tracks. In the end, the mix they did favors Mick's.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

22 Oct 2018, 8:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

JS001 CD Booklet 3.jpg
I'm sure it would be easy to stop the doubters. Just ask TeddyB to confirm from Mick how much Joe contributed vocal wise.
I doubt I can quell the doubters. However, per Mick, Joe is singing through the entire track and also plays guitar. If the song had been used on the proposed 2011 BAD album, Joe was to have been specifically credited.

I haven't discussed this with Mick in terms of this thread, but my take is close to Marky's. Both Joe and Mick recorded lead vocal tracks (Mick's is doubled as well). We see in the 001 notebook that Joe had at one point given a name to the "group" (Joe Strummer & the Dragsters), as he did with the Sid and Nancy tracks. In the end, the mix they did favors Mick's.
Cheers Teddy appreciated. It's such a great tune and it's been getting daily plays at mine. It really does feel like the great lost B.A.D. track from No.10, Upping St. I think it's a really nice gesture from Mick allowing it to be used on the Joe box. I also wish we could still get a remastered No.10, Upping St. I've been playing the hell out that recently.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

JS001 CD Booklet 3.jpg

Interesting that per Joe's notebook, he gives himself a vocals credit only.
Last edited by BR16ADE_R055E on 22 Oct 2018, 10:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 9:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

JS001 CD Booklet 3.jpg

I do just barely hear Joe now, but does Joe play guitar on the track? Per 001 liner notes, he does. Per Joe's notebook, he doesn't (gives himself a vocals credit only).
Irrespective of the liner notes mate you can clearly hear Joe's guitar more than the vocal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:12pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

JS001 CD Booklet 3.jpg

I do just barely hear Joe now, but does Joe play guitar on the track? Per 001 liner notes, he does. Per Joe's notebook, he doesn't (gives himself a vocals credit only).
Irrespective of the liner notes mate you can clearly hear Joe's guitar more than the vocal.
Ah. I re-read what Teddy wrote and caught that Joe does play guitar.

Still interesting that per Joe's notebook, he gives himself a vocals credit only.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:12pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Ah. I re-read what Teddy wrote and caught that Joe does play guitar

Still interesting that per Joe's notebook, he gives himself a vocals credit only.
Maybe he wasn't happy with his guitar performance.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Guitars are more prominent in the mix than recorded BAD material of that era.

It's a shame the 2011 album never materialised.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 4:55pm

It’s the mastering to some extent. The 001 album overall is quite compressed.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

23 Oct 2018, 4:58pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 4:55pm

It’s the mastering to some extent. The 001 album overall is quite compressed.
Quite. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 2:28pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 12:57pm
If i didnt know better i would say this is the biggest April the 1st wind up going - i had to re-check the date

Are we really being serious when we are telling each other you can hear him at this and that split second and even then i hear nothing ?
I have spent way to long trying to hear Joe its madness he is not on this song at all :mrgreen:

I think this subject needs a thread of its own :shifty:
So you are suggesting that Mick has sabotaged the Joe 001 box by supplying a track that contains no Joe? :lol:
No not at all but i am suggesting that the only way they could get this BAD song released is by attaching Joes name to it and append it to the album
on a pair of bad speakers i can hear maybe something that you talk of but its so slight and hard to hear it really could be anyones vocals from the Band

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 2:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 2:28pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 12:57pm
If i didnt know better i would say this is the biggest April the 1st wind up going - i had to re-check the date

Are we really being serious when we are telling each other you can hear him at this and that split second and even then i hear nothing ?
I have spent way to long trying to hear Joe its madness he is not on this song at all :mrgreen:

I think this subject needs a thread of its own :shifty:
So you are suggesting that Mick has sabotaged the Joe 001 box by supplying a track that contains no Joe? :lol:
No not at all but i am suggesting that the only way they could get this BAD song released is by attaching Joes name to it and append it to the album
on a pair of bad speakers i can hear maybe something that you talk of but its so slight and hard to hear it really could be anyones vocals from the Band
Joe's name wasn't "attached" to it. He wrote the words, sings the whole song with Mick (he is low in the mix but can quite clearly be heard), and possibly plays some guitar on it. It is no different to the Pearl Harbour-sang song that appears on the collection, or the Jimmy Cliff song which he has a bit of a minor part in. It's part of an overview of his career and I'm just glad we've got to hear it in any kind of form, it's an excellent track.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

side note: when i was first listening to the new collection I sort of wasn't paying attention and when the Pearl Harbour song came on I thought maybe I'd gotten a mis-pressed record.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!