Brexit what Brexit!

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Brexit what Brexit!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

A lot of lazy fiftysomethings who have never endured hardship have got their blitz boners going at the the prospect of the nation going through some No Deal adversity. People are bound to come together in the way that lazy popular memory and a craven nostalgia industry simplifies a pre-1960s world into when there's not enough food and medicine. Churchill, Shakespeare, King Arthur. And May's govt are cynically amping up the fear factor for that adversity for the rest of us.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

I am European and I say that Brexit is a damage for everyone, but a real economic suicide for the UK :scared:
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 1:12pm
A lot of lazy fiftysomethings who have never endured hardship have got their blitz boners going at the the prospect of the nation going through some No Deal adversity. People are bound to come together in the way that lazy popular memory and a craven nostalgia industry simplifies a pre-1960s world into when there's not enough food and medicine. Churchill, Shakespeare, King Arthur. And May's govt are cynically amping up the fear factor for that adversity for the rest of us.
Most of us fiftysomethings came up through the punk generation and we know the score all too well. Three day working weeks etc... no one but no one wants those times back and no one is stupid enough to believe in any dumb-assed bulldog spirit idea. As for not enduring hardship like those in times of war that is true but the early 70's were no fun at all mate. Your generation has had it way more easier so go easy when pointing your finger.

As for fear mongering by the incumbent government they are simply clueless in understanding the British public.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 6:35am
I am European and I say that Brexit is a damage for everyone, but a real economic suicide for the UK :scared:
I am English and I say that Brexit is a damage for everyone, but as to the economic calamities that lie ahead I've no more clue than the next man.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 7:14am
Silent Majority wrote:
Most of us fiftysomethings came up through the punk generation and we know the score all too well. Three day working weeks etc... no one but no one wants those times back and no one is stupid enough to believe in any dumb-assed bulldog spirit idea. As for not enduring hardship like those in times of war that is true but the early 70's were no fun at all mate. Your generation has had it way more easier so go easy when pointing your finger.

As for fear mongering by the incumbent government they are simply clueless in understanding the British public.
Sorry, Mark, I was unclear there. I'm not pissed off at your generation and I don't mean to undersell the suffering resulting from shit government from both parties in the 1970s. My lot has had some very rough economic times too, but in a different way which might be more comfortable and is certainly less disruptive.

What annoys me is people who didn't live through World War 2 and see it as some simplified Golden Age. They could be in their fifties or their twenties or whatever. I've spent time with people who actually lived through the war and they are the last to glamourise actual adversity.
I would argue your point that nobody is nostalgic for bulldog Britain, though, I think its an urge prevalent in the establishment.

The Tory government look at the people of England and can only think the only thing the population want is more xenophobia from the highest level. And some of those tories are confused because for the first time racism seems to be being prioritised over lining the pockets of the rich.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 7:31am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 7:14am
Silent Majority wrote:

Sorry, Mark, I was unclear there. I'm not pissed off at your generation and I don't mean to undersell the suffering resulting from shit government from both parties in the 1970s. My lot has had some very rough economic times too, but in a different way which might be more comfortable and is certainly less disruptive.

What annoys me is people who didn't live through World War 2 and see it as some simplified Golden Age. They could be in their fifties or their twenties or whatever. I've spent time with people who actually lived through the war and they are the last to glamourise actual adversity.
I would argue your point that nobody is nostalgic for bulldog Britain, though, I think its an urge prevalent in the establishment.

The Tory government look at the people of England and can only think the only thing the population want is more xenophobia from the highest level. And some of those tories are confused because for the first time racism seems to be being prioritised over lining the pockets of the rich.
No problem mate. In my experience across the generations I've found that the "all in it together" ideal never existed other than for those who were truly up against it during the war years. All down to a case of having to get on with it as opposed to anyone joining in one big club.

Those who wave the flag for the so called Churchill "Bulldog spirit" are simply deluded. It only exists in the minds of fools and those who believe the this land is my land rhetoric. The whole concept of "Englishman" is a farce if you trace back the history and so on. We are only half English or maybe a quarter or whatever. I simply call myself English because that was where I was born and not out of any proud feeling for this counrty bullshit.

A lot of the people from the generation before mine and including mine voted out because for the first time they felt they were being allowed a real say in what happens here instead of being ruled by Brussels. Also a lot of the underlying racism that was bubbling just under the radar was able to rear it's ugly head again by hiding behind politics. It's not racist to vote out of course not but it is all so easy to vote out because you hate all the so called "foreigners" or "coloured" imigrants and then hide behind your decision. What a fucked up horrible time.

As for you mate I never doubt where your heart lies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 7:17am
Red Angel wrote:
I am English and I say that Brexit is a damage for everyone, but as to the economic calamities that lie ahead I've no more clue than the next man.
I wanted to say that the economic promises made before the vote are fake. In my opinion it all stems from nationalist pride mixed with racism, although many were a good faith. We will see future developments. I do not like barriers of any kind, but the majority in the world at this moment thinks differently. :rolleyes:
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 8:24am
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
I wanted to say that the economic promises made before the vote are fake. In my opinion it all stems from nationalist pride mixed with racism, although many were a good faith. We will see future developments. I do not like barriers of any kind, but the majority in the world at this moment thinks differently. :rolleyes:
It's so very difficult to see if those economic promises will come to fruition or even if they were made in genuine good faith. The whole process just leaves me sceptical and either way the damage has been done.

I feel the government may as well just put up a big sign saying "hey rascists it's ok to come out and play now". To be honest I despise the whole thing. I also feel that there can be no winners now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 8:47am
Red Angel wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
It's so very difficult to see if those economic promises will come to fruition or even if they were made in genuine good faith. The whole process just leaves me sceptical and either way the damage has been done.

I feel the government may as well just put up a big sign saying "hey rascists it's ok to come out and play now". To be honest I despise the whole thing. I also feel that there can be no winners now.
I agree. There was a point when I thought a social democratic Labour party could maybe make use of being away from the rules about nationalising business, making electricity, water, housing, etc, a fairer cost. But I've now got not hope for anything decent coming out of this clusterfuck nor Corbyn getting elected.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 8:56am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 8:47am
Red Angel wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:

I agree. There was a point when I thought a social democratic Labour party could maybe make use of being away from the rules about nationalising business, making electricity, water, housing, etc, a fairer cost. But I've now got not hope for anything decent coming out of this clusterfuck nor Corbyn getting elected.
It feels like the government dug a shallow grave for us. But now they've realised we won't all fit in it it's time to dig a little deeper and deeper....

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I still can’t get my head round the Ireland issue. Was this seriously not debated before the vote? How could it not have been a glaring red flag of a problem.
As for the Bulldog spirit my Nan tells some stories of raising 2 kids under the shadow of a Spitfire and amunitions factories whilst my Grandad was overseas fighting for 6 years. Barrel of laughs.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Like Trump, Leave didn't expect to win so no prep was done at all.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 2:31pm
I still can’t get my head round the Ireland issue. Was this seriously not debated before the vote? How could it not have been a glaring red flag of a problem.
As for the Bulldog spirit my Nan tells some stories of raising 2 kids under the shadow of a Spitfire and amunitions factories whilst my Grandad was overseas fighting for 6 years. Barrel of laughs.
Old people huh all they do is moan moan moan. ;)

As for Ireland they've won the Eurovision song contest a record seven times so they'll be fine.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 3:12pm
Like Trump, Leave didn't expect to win so no prep was done at all.
It was also more of tantrum than a considered policy shift. Canada's gone thru two referenda where Quebec has each time narrowly voted to stay in confederation. What makes me roll my eyes about that is that it's more romance than realist. When asked during the second referendum, back in the 90s, about economic hardships and the like from the break-up, one of the French sovereignist leaders likened independence to a magic wand that would be a reset and wipe away all the problems. That's either painfully naive or cynically conning the painfully naive. I always compare that to the Southern secessionists in 1860 and 1861. They were under no illusions that everything was go to be rainbows and unicorns; secession meant hard times ahead, but it something that had to be done. They were a bunch of vicious white supremacists, but I will give them more clarity than the either Quebec nationalists or the Brexit crowd. If you don't own up to how devastating these kinds of moves will be for perhaps decades, you're a dope or a conman.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft