What documentary are you watching on YouTube right now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What mockumentary are you watching on YouTube right now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 8:42am

Never seen the Rutles before, it's actually a lot funnier than I expected it to be, based on reading the punning album and song titles in Beatles books.
It's great stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:

Never seen the Rutles before, it's actually a lot funnier than I expected it to be, based on reading the punning album and song titles in Beatles books.
It's fantastic. I love making Yoko into Hitler's daughter, capturing how over-the-top some Beatles fans were/are towards Yoko. I've mentioned this before, but when George went on the interview circuit, years after the film was made, he hated to talk about the Beatles, but would light up with asked about the Rutles. Hard not to believe that that movie was therapeutic for him on some level.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 9:00am
Silent Majority wrote:

It's fantastic. I love making Yoko into Hitler's daughter, capturing how over-the-top some Beatles fans were/are towards Yoko. I've mentioned this before, but when George went on the interview circuit, years after the film was made, he hated to talk about the Beatles, but would light up with asked about the Rutles. Hard not to believe that that movie was therapeutic for him on some level.
I found out the other day that Harrison financed the making of Life Of Brian and even took out a mortgage on his home to do so!! Obviously a huge Pythons fan.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 2:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I found out the other day that Harrison financed the making of Life Of Brian and even took out a mortgage on his home to do so!! Obviously a huge Pythons fan.
One of many reasons that George should be everyone's favourite Beatle. Even if some of his music was less compelling than John's or Paul's, he was far and away the coolest and most centred of them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: What documentary are you watching on YouTube right now?

Post by Flex »

Prompted by this thread, I found out this morning that there's a Rutles tribute album and it looks TASTY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutles_Highway_Revisited

Tupi, Das Damen, Marc Ribot, Daniel Johnston, SHONEN KNIFE COVERING GOOSE STEP MAMA. I mean, holy shit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 2:40pm
Prompted by this thread, I found out this morning that there's a Rutles tribute album and it looks TASTY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutles_Highway_Revisited

Tupi, Das Damen, Marc Ribot, Daniel Johnston, SHONEN KNIFE COVERING GOOSE STEP MAMA. I mean, holy shit.
Holy crap. And located, for those interested: http://rocketremnants.blogspot.com/2012 ... light.html

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 2:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

One of many reasons that George should be everyone's favourite Beatle. Even if some of his music was less compelling than John's or Paul's, he was far and away the coolest and most centred of them.
He was a miserable twat.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 3:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

He was a miserable twat.
But for the right reasons and in the right way. Not everyone can be Limahl, baby.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 3:36pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

He was a miserable twat.
But for the right reasons and in the right way. Not everyone can be Limahl, baby.
He was a grumpy old man at 25. Imagine being in the Beatles and complaining all the time!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

He was a miserable twat.
He was a grumpy old man at 25. Imagine being in the Beatles and complaining all the time!
Can you imagine having that much pressure placed on you at that age? Paul's even said that they were never allowed to have a youth—the demands of being Beatles ate it all up. George, quicker than the others, even John, saw thru the bullshit and rebelled against it. He loved making music and experiencing life, but he sensibly hated the artificiality of being a Beatle.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

He was a miserable twat.
This is a rare case where my knee jerk complete lack of sympathy for any millionaire doesn't come through just because of the complete headfuck of being so young and being put it in an unprecedented fishbowl. I mean, still, fuck him for complaining about being taxed in a crap song and whining about his fame and riches, but I see how he got there.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've seen this once before, but, good lord, what a bizarre, haunted man. A gorgeous writer, but it's hard to think he's not damaged to the point of being fascist.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 7:19pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

He was a miserable twat.
This is a rare case where my knee jerk complete lack of sympathy for any millionaire doesn't come through just because of the complete headfuck of being so young and being put it in an unprecedented fishbowl. I mean, still, fuck him for complaining about being taxed in a crap song and whining about his fame and riches, but I see how he got there.
George also has a religious/spiritual born again whatever you want to call it transformation. Imaging being so close to somebody for so long and then them becoming a "born again" holy roller. constantly preaching and proselytising. Follow me I know the way blah blah blah

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 4:11pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

He was a miserable twat.
Can you imagine having that much pressure placed on you at that age? Paul's even said that they were never allowed to have a youth—the demands of being Beatles ate it all up. George, quicker than the others, even John, saw thru the bullshit and rebelled against it. He loved making music and experiencing life, but he sensibly hated the artificiality of being a Beatle.
Oh yeah fucking heartbreaking give me a break. "Never allowed to have a youth" ...this is the sixties were talking about here just how wealthy do you think his mates were that he (they) left behind in Liverpool holding down shitty jobs for even shittier pay. Thousands would've given their right arm to be as talented and as fortunate as George.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 12:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 4:11pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

He was a miserable twat.
Oh yeah fucking heartbreaking give me a break. "Never allowed to have a youth" ...this is the sixties were talking about here just how wealthy do you think his mates were that he (they) left behind in Liverpool holding down shitty jobs for even shittier pay. Thousands would've given their right arm to be as talented and as fortunate as George.
Perhaps there's a happy place in between working class poverty and living in a bubble. I still hear the same kind of cynical comments about Kurt Cobain. Oh, poor baby, couldn't handle the fame he pursued so he blew his head off. Some can't handle living their lives in the spotlight, feeling like they're constantly being run on someone else's schedule. I clearly haven't walked in their shoes, but I have a feeling I'd be pretty miserable having those expectations placed upon me so publicly.