Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 4:51pm
Flex wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 4:24pm
Kory wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 1:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 9:53pm
Back from campus and the library. Among the research-oriented crap, I also grabbed the Fugazi one (based on Flex's recommendation), the Banshees (based on Kory's recommendation), and the Raincoats (based on Jen's pick). The rest of you lost out on influencing me. Not that there's one on KISS' Animalize.
I would also recommend the Fugazi one, I highly enjoyed it and kept it in the collection.
Just remember folks, don't dismiss the Fugazi entry just because Kory likes it. I also enjoyed and recommended it.
I'm starting to have borrower's remorse.
Did you guys read the Gang of Four one? I thought the angle of focusing on mondegreens was a really interesting and unexpected one.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 6:02pm
Did you guys read the Gang of Four one? I thought the angle of focusing on mondegreens was a really interesting and unexpected one.
I have read it, but I honestly don't remember anything about it. So much so that I wonder whether I have, in fact, read it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
I have read it, but I honestly don't remember anything about it. So much so that I wonder whether I have, in fact, read it.
Brains are fun

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 7:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
Brains are fun
I have a very love-hate relationship with mine. I identify with the line in Pixies' "Letter to Memphis" where Black Francis says his head was haunted.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bedtime reading: That Fugazi book that Flex (ugh) and Kory (ugh) recommended.

Exercise audiobook:

One of those books that I've seen in bargain bins and used bookstores with numbing ubiquity, but never bit. But I came across the audio version and thought what the fuck. I have enjoyed most of Phillip Kerr's Bernie Guenther novels and I figure this is a close cousin.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Listening to Tim Shipman's All Out War, a Palace intrigue version of the Brexit campaign. The writer, who's got very good contacts with key ministers, is certain that the defining thing that allowed Leave to win was the involvement of Boris Johnson and Michael Gove. A very shallow disregarding of 30 years of economic policy.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 8:14pm

Exercise audiobook:

One of those books that I've seen in bargain bins and used bookstores with numbing ubiquity, but never bit. But I came across the audio version and thought what the fuck. I have enjoyed most of Phillip Kerr's Bernie Guenther novels and I figure this is a close cousin.
Harris is pretty good for alternate-history fiction, though his friendship with Roman Polanski is troubling. His trilogy about Cicero was good.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 9:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Exercise audiobook:

Harris is pretty good for alternate-history fiction, though his friendship with Roman Polanski is troubling. His trilogy about Cicero was good.
I'm about two-and-a-half hours in and my attention is still being held.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 11:42am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Exercise audiobook:

How long is it?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 12:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Exercise audiobook:

How long is it?
11 and a half hours or thereabouts.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 12:50pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Exercise audiobook:

How long is it?
Let me know if you recommend the listen at the end, mate.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 12:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 12:50pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

How long is it?
Let me know if you recommend the listen at the end, mate.
Will do.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Perhaps you'll think better of us when the book turns out to be good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'll be finishing it up tonight. I haven't found it all that compelling, to be honest. It does its descriptive job, but not much else. One question I always have students answer about their term papers is: Why is this important? Why is this a story worth telling? I'm not really sure what Gross would say. But for Fugazi fans, getting that extra detail is quite valuable. I get that. I'm fine with those kinds of books for bands I love. But as someone who's never gotten why Fugazi is such a big deal from an aesthetic standpoint, the book doesn't exactly compel me to rethink things. But I doubt Gross sought to convert the unbelievers, so that's not exactly harsh criticism.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 3:54pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'll be finishing it up tonight. I haven't found it all that compelling, to be honest. It does its descriptive job, but not much else. One question I always have students answer about their term papers is: Why is this important? Why is this a story worth telling? I'm not really sure what Gross would say. But for Fugazi fans, getting that extra detail is quite valuable. I get that. I'm fine with those kinds of books for bands I love. But as someone who's never gotten why Fugazi is such a big deal from an aesthetic standpoint, the book doesn't exactly compel me to rethink things. But I doubt Gross sought to convert the unbelievers, so that's not exactly harsh criticism.
Oh, I didn't realize you weren't a fan already. Why did you pick it up?