Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 5:06pm
laxman wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 3:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 3:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:17am
laxman wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:13am

Glad you agree with me about Mike Phelan. I think maybe Ole has been a bit lucky with the way the fixtures have fallen (but Spurs away was obviously a tough one), but isn't it obvious that if you have a great array of attackers and a not so good defence then you play an attacking game rather than a defensive game? Also, it is the Man Utd way.
Agreed on all points. I think the schedule is not really relevant whether it's a top 4 side or bottom 4 side there are no easy games in the Prem.
Laxman on paper you could say the fixtures were kind but they were also the gsm s Mourinho wasn’t winning. I thought the big test was beating Brighton after the Tottenham win which was always Mourihno’s problem. He could win the one off games against the big guns but couldn’t back it up devaluing the win.
I put it down to confidence. Rashford is back to his old self not afraid to have a crack. Same with Pogba, he will miscue some passes in a games but then he will hit one like he did to beat Tottenham. That goal would never have happened under Mourinho.
All I was meaning was that those first games haven't included PSG, City or Liverpool. They might have been tricky assignments so early in his tenure. I see similarities between Utd and Arsenal, both with stronger attacks than defences. Arsenal embraced a more attacking approach than Utd did under Maureen and did fine, only coming a cropper when they played the top teams.
Friday night's F.A. cup match will be interesting.
7-6 United!!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:17am

Agreed on all points. I think the schedule is not really relevant whether it's a top 4 side or bottom 4 side there are no easy games in the Prem.
Laxman on paper you could say the fixtures were kind but they were also the gsm s Mourinho wasn’t winning. I thought the big test was beating Brighton after the Tottenham win which was always Mourihno’s problem. He could win the one off games against the big guns but couldn’t back it up devaluing the win.
I put it down to confidence. Rashford is back to his old self not afraid to have a crack. Same with Pogba, he will miscue some passes in a games but then he will hit one like he did to beat Tottenham. That goal would never have happened under Mourinho.
All I was meaning was that those first games haven't included PSG, City or Liverpool. They might have been tricky assignments so early in his tenure. I see similarities between Utd and Arsenal, both with stronger attacks than defences. Arsenal embraced a more attacking approach than Utd did under Maureen and did fine, only coming a cropper when they played the top teams.
7-6 United!!
Think it will be more high scoring than that. 10-11 United!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

When I said make Salah disappear this wasn’t what I meant!!!

P.s too soon?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 3:11pm

P.s too soon?
Poor fucker what a horrible story.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:

P.s too soon?
What happened with Salah? I saw he made some cryptic tweet.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 6:54pm
101Walterton wrote:

P.s too soon?
No was making a bad taste joke about Sala. Striker signed by Cardiff from Nantes but his plane has gone missing on way to Wales.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-13890265

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 1:20am
matedog wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 6:54pm
101Walterton wrote:

P.s too soon?
No was making a bad taste joke about Sala. Striker signed by Cardiff from Nantes but his plane has gone missing on way to Wales.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-13890265
Aaah, my soccer knowledge extends to current/former Liverpool players (and the megastars), so the joke was lost on me. But I get it now!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

7-6 United!!
Bada boom bada Bing! Hear the United boys sing!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 8:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

7-6 United!!
Mrs Walterton turned 50 this weekend and we had a big bash at home. I did a speech and at the end before I did the toast I made everyone toast Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. I didn’t explain who he was or why and 99% of the people who toasted Ole had no idea who he was and presumed he must have been an old friend or something Everyone was asking 25.25W but he was shaking his head saying it’s just my Dad amusing himself 😂

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 10:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 8:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

7-6 United!!
Mrs Walterton turned 50 this weekend and we had a big bash at home. I did a speech and at the end before I did the toast I made everyone toast Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. I didn’t explain who he was or why and 99% of the people who toasted Ole had no idea who he was and presumed he must have been an old friend or something Everyone was asking 25.25W but he was shaking his head saying it’s just my Dad amusing himself 😂
A fine toast. In fact I'll raise a glass to that. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Will they finally put this 'Super Coach' myth to bed now. Football is 80% man management and 20% tactics not the other way round. Sick of hearing about Guardiola, Klopp, Mourihno and even Sarri???? reinventing football. All bollocks.
Ferguson was renown for lacking tactical smarts yet was a serial winner because he got the best out of his players.
Klopp doing alright at Liverpool after buying the worlds most expensive defender and goalkeeper (but still hasn't won anything with Liverpool). His master tactics didn't work until he bought 2 of the worlds best players.
Guardiola has won things at City but he can also buy any player he wants and play any tactics with the best squad in the league.
Sarri did great with a squad of players at his disposal but his tactics were formed around the players he had. Look what happens when he tries to do his 'Sarri Ball' elsewhere, it is a fucking disaster. It was the players not his tactics.
Mourihno was successful at Chelsea because he had a squad of players who would die for him not because of his tactical genius. When his same tactics didn't work at United he blamed the players but truth is he believed his own press and thought it was about him and as a result of his behaviour he didn't have the backing of his players.
You can have the best tactics in the world but if your goalkeeper drops the ball or your striker misses an open goal there is f'all your tactics will do. It is about getting the best out of the players not making the players play out your Masterplan.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 11:05pm
Will they finally put this 'Super Coach' myth to bed now. Football is 80% man management and 20% tactics not the other way round. Sick of hearing about Guardiola, Klopp, Mourihno and even Sarri???? reinventing football. All bollocks.
Ferguson was renown for lacking tactical smarts yet was a serial winner because he got the best out of his players.
Klopp doing alright at Liverpool after buying the worlds most expensive defender and goalkeeper (but still hasn't won anything with Liverpool). His master tactics didn't work until he bought 2 of the worlds best players.
Guardiola has won things at City but he can also buy any player he wants and play any tactics with the best squad in the league.
Sarri did great with a squad of players at his disposal but his tactics were formed around the players he had. Look what happens when he tries to do his 'Sarri Ball' elsewhere, it is a fucking disaster. It was the players not his tactics.
Mourihno was successful at Chelsea because he had a squad of players who would die for him not because of his tactical genius. When his same tactics didn't work at United he blamed the players but truth is he believed his own press and thought it was about him and as a result of his behaviour he didn't have the backing of his players.
You can have the best tactics in the world but if your goalkeeper drops the ball or your striker misses an open goal there is f'all your tactics will do. It is about getting the best out of the players not making the players play out your Masterplan.
Agreed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Excellent post 101. Agree on nearly everything there. I think a lot of the football media have a vested interest in making the game seem more complex and sophisticated than it is and can’t blame them in one way as writing the same article over and over about Jose Mourinho must get deadly tiresome after a while.

For me the last significant tactical innovation was tiki taka which some loved and others found boring. As for klopps “gegenpressing” that’s been in football for decades. In his own way Jack Charlton did it with ireland in the 1980s and it was regarded as a caveman approach at the time.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 9:12am
Excellent post 101. Agree on nearly everything there. I think a lot of the football media have a vested interest in making the game seem more complex and sophisticated than it is and can’t blame them in one way as writing the same article over and over about Jose Mourinho must get deadly tiresome after a while.

For me the last significant tactical innovation was tiki taka which some loved and others found boring. As for klopps “gegenpressing” that’s been in football for decades. In his own way Jack Charlton did it with ireland in the 1980s and it was regarded as a caveman approach at the time.
Tiki Taka is just a variant of Ajax’s ‘total football’ that Cruyff took to Barcelona. Guardiola just expanded on it to make the most of the technically gifted players he had that weren’t physically imposing (Xavi and Iniesta) but keep possession.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 3:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 9:12am

Tiki Taka is just a variant of Ajax’s ‘total football’ that Cruyff took to Barcelona. Guardiola just expanded on it to make the most of the technically gifted players he had that weren’t physically imposing (Xavi and Iniesta) but keep possession.
Yes that’s certainly true. I’d still say it was innovative on lots of levels though and if you were being pedantic about it you’d say total football was a variant of styles that had preceded it too. The burnley team of the 60s was supposedly a forerunner of Ajax 70s team but I can’t personally vouch for the veracity of that!