MLB 2019

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: MLB 2019

Post by tepista »

The Play Station Fiesta Bowl will ALWAYS be the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl to me.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 5:23pm
The Play Station Fiesta Bowl will ALWAYS be the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl to me.
I nominate this for the best post of the week! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, over at SoSH, there's a thread about Schilling and the HoF. Someone shared the following:
Curt is a big fan of Advanced Squad Leader. For those who don't know, it's an incredibly detailed squad-level WWII board game. About twenty years ago, its original publisher - Avalon Hill - was planning on shuttering the series. Curt assisted its current publisher - Multi-Man Publishing - in obtaining the rights to continue publishing it. For his help, he was honored by having a "leader" named after him...

...unfortunately, that leader is a Nazi. American forces are represented by green counters, while Germans are represented by blue-grey ones.

So as far as I can tell, Curt helped keep the game afloat. As a "thank you," MMP offered to represent him in the game. He apparently responded by saying "Cool! But can I be a Nazi? Thanks!"

The guy is a fucking creep.
Ever more so, he fits in with the worst of Boston's sports tradition of racism.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 9:27pm
I thought this was a good read.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/258 ... tform=amp
The comment about how skinny players were is something that's always struck me. I have dvd's of the '75 and '79 WS and those guys were so goddamned thin. Greenies were definitely in play. And the pace of play was much faster. Yeah, the length of games nowadays is mostly due to advertising obligations, but shit just rolled back in the 70s.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 9:33pm
revbob wrote:
The comment about how skinny players were is something that's always struck me. I have dvd's of the '75 and '79 WS and those guys were so goddamned thin. Greenies were definitely in play. And the pace of play was much faster. Yeah, the length of games nowadays is mostly due to advertising obligations, but shit just rolled back in the 70s.
Yeah guys were skinny but many still hit for some serious power.

As for pace of play. I recall Yankees home games would start at 8 and generally run 2.5 hrs. There was then 30 min of news followed by Twilight Zone or Honeymooners repeats. I remember getting annoyed when games ran late because that would usually cut into TZ time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 9:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
It helps that the pitchers were also skinny and didn't generate as much consistent serious 90s velocity.
As for pace of play. I recall Yankees home games would start at 8 and generally run 2.5 hrs. There was then 30 min of news followed by Twilight Zone or Honeymooners repeats. I remember getting annoyed when games ran late because that would usually cut into TZ time.
That and afternoon games. Most of my childhood baseball memories are afternoon games. Tho maybe that's because my dad controlled the tv in the evening.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 10:43pm
revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 9:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
It helps that the pitchers were also skinny and didn't generate as much consistent serious 90s velocity.
That and afternoon games. Most of my childhood baseball memories are afternoon games. Tho maybe that's because my dad controlled the tv in the evening.
Saturday and Sunday were almost exclusively day games. But part of my spring/summer memories are of watching those M-F night games including Monday Night Baseball. My dad controlled the TV too but he was a baseball fan and we just had 7 channels including PBS. By summer any "good" (by my dad's standards) TV shows would have been on rerun and my dad refused to watch something he'd already seen. And nearly every Yankees game was broadcast on WPIX back then.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 7:14am
Saturday and Sunday were almost exclusively day games. But part of my spring/summer memories are of watching those M-F night games including Monday Night Baseball. My dad controlled the TV too but he was a baseball fan and we just had 7 channels including PBS. By summer any "good" (by my dad's standards) TV shows would have been on rerun and my dad refused to watch something he'd already seen. And nearly every Yankees game was broadcast on WPIX back then.
My mother was the one who introduced me to baseball. It's weird that my dad didn't watch it because he played the game when he was younger.

("Just" 7 channels? Being Canadian, pre-cable, meant CBC, CTV, and French CBC. :yuck: )

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

https://www.universalhub.com/2019/overw ... enway-park

Pinky Higgins' perma-ban of Nat King Cole at Fenway is still in effect.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 8:30am
revbob wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 7:14am
My mother was the one who introduced me to baseball. It's weird that my dad didn't watch it because he played the game when he was younger.

("Just" 7 channels? Being Canadian, pre-cable, meant CBC, CTV, and French CBC. :yuck: )
We were fortunate in that we lived on a big hill so the radio waves could travel pretty well with very little obstruction. Which is also why I could get so many good radio stations.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Me and Monkey think we're going to Spring Training but I won't believe it til I'm there cuz he says it every year.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Yikesorama

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

tepista wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 4:31pm
Me and Monkey think we're going to Spring Training but I won't believe it til I'm there cuz he says it every year.
Where do the Angels have their st? Arizona?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 8:35pm
tepista wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 4:31pm
Where do the Angels have their st? Arizona?
Yeah, Tempe. 6 hour drive according to the internet