When a new official release for The Clash?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Red Angel
Junco Partner

When a new official release for The Clash?

Post by Red Angel »

Perhaps the right question is: will there ever be a new official release for the Clash?

A collection of unrealeased on CDs or a new live collection?

We accept bets! :mrgreen:
Music is the only thing that matters

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: When a new official release for The Clash?

Post by Heston »

Best bet is a Joe Strummer 002 with more Clash II stuff on.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Nothing for 40th anniversary of s/t so probably not.

P.S. 40 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

There are still "officially unreleased" recordings out there. Going thru each album:

The Clash (1976/1977)
Enough demos have been released on Sound System I doubt a comprehensive rarities release comes from this era.

GEER (1978)
There's the 3 disc bootleg All The Peacemakers that culls together demos, tv appearances, alt mixes, Rude Boy snippets, etc. Enough for a Disc 2 re-release for sure.

London Calling (1979)
Vanilla Tapes probably covered this.

Sandinista (1980)
Outside some sloppy covers and Blonde Rock N Roll I doubt there's much from Sandinista. Though surely demos and other dub versions exist (like the one for Police On My Back). A photo of a studio-session note shows working titles for Sandinista songs. Im sure most of these resulted in songs we know but maybe there are a couple unheard in the lot?

Combat Rock (1981/1982)
Obviously Rat Patrol, Janie Jones & The Lash, Futura, the multiple vers/demos of songs (Cool Confusion, OBF, etc) and Hell W10 seemed like it had slightly different versions of CR songs. Another photo of studio notes shows different working titles. I thought we'd heard all the demos via the various Rat boots but then Walk Evil Talk, Once You Know and the Hell W10 instru surfaced over the years.

Post Combat Rock (1983/1984)
Are there any 83 sessions with Mick on tape? Would more Strummer/Simonon/Howard demos, November 83 demos or more July 84 demos ever surface in full? Was surprised any of these got released at all so who knows. If more Clash II stuff does get released itll be via another Strummer comp not a Clash release.
Attachments
combatrock.jpg
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

That's a terrific pic from the CR sessions. Unless I've completely forgotten it (possible), I had never heard of any Burroughs involvement. I'm assuming that's who "Burrows" refers to.

As for your list, excellent work. The CR and Clash II era definitely could produce more. Andersen and Heibutzki 's We are the Clash discusses some demos that Strummer nipped off to LA with Kosmo Vinyl to record. I'd love to hear those.

This is tangential to the topic because they'd likely never be released officially, but the book also mentions loads of practice time the new guys were doing while Strummer was away in Spain. It sounds like it was a routine they carried on for months that translated to the tightness they displayed during the last sporadic festival gigs they did. Since I heard about that I've wondered if any of those daily sessions were recorded. Not sure about the rest of you, but I'd love to hear those even though they probably don't even include Paul. In general their book raised my esteem of Nick Sheppard's punk roots and musicianship.

Actually, sticking with the subject of their book it sounds like everything was recorded ad infinitum for CtC as the sessions went on and on. I almost bet there's decent stuff out there that most humans would've enjoyed but didn't meet the standards of whatever fatal mania it was that gripped Rhodes and finally killed the Clash.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Sony obviously want to do something for the 40th of London Calling. The 30th Anniversary release already had the main guts of a mega release (remastered album, Vanilla Tapes and a making-of DVD, without the now de rigeur fancy book and packaging, with good value for money. Sound System, on the other hand, collected the band's entire oeuvre with very cool packaging and multiple books, for a price that other acts are now charging for a mega deluxe of merely one album.

So what to do? What's the solution?

Mick says he has made some "elegant" suggestions to Sony. We'll see how that goes.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I always thought there were some missing tracks from GEER era. Scrawl on the Bathroom Wall, RAF 1810?

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Also, re the rough track list for what became "Combat Rock"...

"Guitars & Men"? "Burning Bush"? "Soul Mercenary"?

The list is clearly from before they recorded "Straight to Hell", which was the last song written, but where's "Sean Flynn"?Could it be"Burning Bush"?

Heston

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 7:21pm
Sony obviously want to do something for the 40th of London Calling. The 30th Anniversary release already had the main guts of a mega release (remastered album, Vanilla Tapes and a making-of DVD, without the now de rigeur fancy book and packaging, with good value for money. Sound System, on the other hand, collected the band's entire oeuvre with very cool packaging and multiple books, for a price that other acts are now charging for a mega deluxe of merely one album.

So what to do? What's the solution?

Mick says he has made some "elegant" suggestions to Sony. We'll see how that goes.
I personally think the best solution would be to get the best possible live footage of the era and put it out on a DVD with the album. I keep getting told only 3 songs were filmed at Lewisham but I refuse to believe it, and they must at least have the audio in full as other tracks featured on FHTE. Someone has footage of the Tribal Stomp festival. Some foreign tv station has footage of the Turku Festival. Get a pristine broadcast copy of the Alright Now TV performance, it was released in poor quality on The Clash On TV DVD, and only English Civil War featured. It's a similar story with the "Fridays" footage, it only exists in lower generation, yet pristine copies were sourced for clips in the 1991 MTV Rockumentary. So much they can do if someone has the will (and budget) to do it.

We've got all the demos, live stuff be it video or audio would probably be the only way to go.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

YoungParisians wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 5:18pm
Combat Rock (1981/1982)
Obviously Rat Patrol, Janie Jones & The Lash, Futura, the multiple vers/demos of songs (Cool Confusion, OBF, etc) and Hell W10 seemed like it had slightly different versions of CR songs. Another photo of studio notes shows different working titles. I thought we'd heard all the demos via the various Rat boots but then Walk Evil Talk, Once You Know and the Hell W10 instru surfaced over the years.
Rat Patrol is the holy grail for me. I'd love to have a crisp copy of the thing. The mood of Mick's mix (heh) is so appealing to me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 8:23pm
YoungParisians wrote:
Combat Rock (1981/1982)
Rat Patrol is the holy grail for me. I'd love to have a crisp copy of the thing. The mood of Mick's mix (heh) is so appealing to me.
Seconded. Outside of live stuff this is the release I want. Obviously setting aside a Cut the Crap remix by Norman Cook.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

YoungParisians wrote:
There are still "officially unreleased" recordings out there. Going thru each album:

The Clash (1976/1977)
Enough demos have been released on Sound System I doubt a comprehensive rarities release comes from this era.

GEER (1978)
There's the 3 disc bootleg All The Peacemakers that culls together demos, tv appearances, alt mixes, Rude Boy snippets, etc. Enough for a Disc 2 re-release for sure.

London Calling (1979)
Vanilla Tapes probably covered this.

Sandinista (1980)
Outside some sloppy covers and Blonde Rock N Roll I doubt there's much from Sandinista. Though surely demos and other dub versions exist (like the one for Police On My Back). A photo of a studio-session note shows working titles for Sandinista songs. Im sure most of these resulted in songs we know but maybe there are a couple unheard in the lot?

Combat Rock (1981/1982)

Post Combat Rock (1983/1984)
Are there any 83 sessions with Mick on tape? Would more Strummer/Simonon/Howard demos, November 83 demos or more July 84 demos ever surface in full? Was surprised any of these got released at all so who knows. If more Clash II stuff does get released itll be via another Strummer comp not a Clash release.
Hello,

Is there still an active link for All The Peacemakers? I lost my copy in a crash a while back.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Here's the Sandinista studio list. It's been posted on the group before but here it is for quick reference.
Attachments
Clash Sandinista Outtakes.png

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

can we not just have this?
Attachments
IMG_9974.jpeg

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

aza wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 8:40am
can we not just have this?
The contents of Mick’s shed?