When a new official release for The Clash?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: When a new official release for The Clash?

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:14am
Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 10:28am
On a side note, I was speaking on FB to a guy who was a camera man for the Lewisham show and he reckons only the 2 songs and bits of Bankrobber were filmed. Disappointing
This really doesn't surprise as one would think that if more existed it would have emerged by now. I just don't think there are that many sheds out there containing grails.
Same here. Filming an entire gig - as opposed to videotaping - must cost a fortune. Especially with a band renowned for playing long shows.
I don't think the Shea Stadium gig was filmed in its entirety for the same reason, and that was done when CBS/Epic were really spending a bit of money pushing the band, post-CR.
I'd love to see any outtakes, mind.
We do have some good TV appearances though and maybe upgrades/ uncirculated stuff exists in obscure vaults here and there.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I have been to many shows where the cameras are lined front of stage then they leave after the first 2/3 songs. Usually to use in reviews on TV news or papers next morning etc.
Did that used to happen back then?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JohnS wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 2:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
On a side note, I was speaking on FB to a guy who was a camera man for the Lewisham show and he reckons only the 2 songs and bits of Bankrobber were filmed. Disappointing
This really doesn't surprise as one would think that if more existed it would have emerged by now. I just don't think there are that many sheds out there containing grails.
Same here. Filming an entire gig - as opposed to videotaping - must cost a fortune. Especially with a band renowned for playing long shows.
I don't think the Shea Stadium gig was filmed in its entirety for the same reason, and that was done when CBS/Epic were really spending a bit of money pushing the band, post-CR.
I'd love to see any outtakes, mind.
We do have some good TV appearances though and maybe upgrades/ uncirculated stuff exists in obscure vaults here and there.
Crazy that they/Bernie were so loose with their money for filming Bonds. At least as the story goes.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 1:13pm
Flex wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 12:55pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 4:46am
True, Gil. BTW, a quite successful UK film producer friend of mine (and Mick’s) has asked by Sony to produce a new making of LC documentary. He said only with Mick’s blessing. Mick laughed when he heard about this, since Sony had already approached the guy. I told Mick he likely wants you to participate, which Mick found less amusing. Anyway, i haven’t spoken to either in the past week, but I would expect the project to go forth. The 40th is coming, whatever form it actually takes.
I'm up for a new documentary, especially if Mick is involved. The dream would be a nice, new doc and some official live audio and video releases, I suppose.
I guess having read the ridiculously comprehensive Route 19, I have no interest in a LC doc. Particularly since we had that shitty makeshift one for 25. I guess there could be appeal from more mainstream audiences.
I thought we already had a making on LC Doc but then I thought I must have imagined it. Wasn’t it with the Vsnilla Tapes?

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 5:07pm
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
True, Gil. BTW, a quite successful UK film producer friend of mine (and Mick’s) has asked by Sony to produce a new making of LC documentary. He said only with Mick’s blessing. Mick laughed when he heard about this, since Sony had already approached the guy. I told Mick he likely wants you to participate, which Mick found less amusing. Anyway, i haven’t spoken to either in the past week, but I would expect the project to go forth. The 40th is coming, whatever form it actually takes.
I'm up for a new documentary, especially if Mick is involved. The dream would be a nice, new doc and some official live audio and video releases, I suppose.
I guess having read the ridiculously comprehensive Route 19, I have no interest in a LC doc. Particularly since we had that shitty makeshift one for 25. I guess there could be appeal from more mainstream audiences.
I thought we already had a making on LC Doc but then I thought I must have imagined it. Wasn’t it with the Vsnilla Tapes?
Yes Walter - the grainy footage of Guy Stevens?
Joining the Street Parade

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

deny wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 6:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Yes Walter - the grainy footage of Guy Stevens?
Sweeping the studio?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 2:02pm
matedog wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
It doesn't really surprise me either. Bruce is the only other artist I know as well and was active around the same time. He didn't have anything fully professionally filmed until 1984 except for one show in 1975. His River tour has 2/3 of a show filmed in video (the Tempe show he released in 2015). Random songs in the middle of the set weren't filmed...for some reason. Darkness had one show where they filmed a handful of songs and b-roll. Sounds like a similar approach was taken for Lewisham. Film costs money and I don't know if cameramen get paid differently for filming part or all of a show if they have to be there for a whole concert.

Hes, can you link me the discussion? The COP fb group is quite active and hard to sift through.
Still, there's at least 4 decently filmed shows out there (Munich and Paris for TV, New Jersey and Tokyo for fun, if I'm recalling correctly) that could perhaps be cleaned up and released in an official capacity. And obviously the Bonds footage is out there somewhere waiting to be baked. I don't understand wanting to leave money on the table like that. A full live footage box set or something would sell like crazy, I'd think.
I was never impressed with the Paris show. Awful mix and not one of their better nights.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Yes, but it wasn't that good. Re-used Westway To the World footage seemed to make up the bulk of it. An album like this needs a proper in-depth take on it. See the recent Kinks Village Green Doc.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 8:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Yes, but it wasn't that good. Re-used Westway To the World footage seemed to make up the bulk of it. An album like this needs a proper in-depth take on it. See the recent Kinks Village Green Doc.
True. There is a great series of documentaries called Prime Rocks and each episode features the making of different albums. Really interesting even if it is an album you have no interest in.
The band always talk about the making of LC as the best time and it features heavily in LGIT and of course Route 19 which I teally enjoyed.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Totally agree, very excited to hear there may be something in the pipeline. Assuming the idea would be to have it in the shops by December though, I’d have thought the pre production process would want to be in place pretty sharpish, unless these things can be put together quicker than I imagine.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
London Calling. A mono version?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Expect something later in the year for London Calling 40th. No further comment from me at this point .
Is the Spotify/BBC eight part podcast on the Clash out yet? If not, it will be soon.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

True, Gil. BTW, a quite successful UK film producer friend of mine (and Mick’s) has asked by Sony to produce a new making of LC documentary. He said only with Mick’s blessing. Mick laughed when he heard about this, since Sony had already approached the guy.
Phil Hunt?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

06 Feb 2019, 1:25am
Expect something later in the year for London Calling 40th. No further comment from me at this point .
Is the Spotify/BBC eight part podcast on the Clash out yet? If not, it will be soon.
Great news thanks TB.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 1:54am
True, Gil. BTW, a quite successful UK film producer friend of mine (and Mick’s) has asked by Sony to produce a new making of LC documentary. He said only with Mick’s blessing. Mick laughed when he heard about this, since Sony had already approached the guy.
Phil Hunt?
No, however Phil is releasing a documentary on Don.