The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 4:37pm

Man. that organ in the right channel is overbearing.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Version City Inspired Song in Google Commercial

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 5:16pm
Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 5:21pm

The original turned up on FB the other day, bazarboy dug this one out from somewhere. First time I've heard it outside of the sped up Sandinista sample...

The whole thing is simply nuts
Always had that familiar sound to me but I thought it was from 60's films or TV or something I wouldn't have heard any of those?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Version City Inspired Song in Google Commercial

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 5:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 5:16pm
Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 5:21pm

The original turned up on FB the other day, bazarboy dug this one out from somewhere. First time I've heard it outside of the sped up Sandinista sample...

The whole thing is simply nuts
Always had that familiar sound to me but I thought it was from 60's films or TV or something I wouldn't have heard any of those?
similar thing here although I thought it was from an old 70s advert.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Actually after a bit more research I think the Clash must have had one of these "Optigan" things in the studio, and played it themselves rather than sampled it from the earlier link. See this piece of film...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 6:02pm
Actually after a bit more research I think the Clash must have had one of these "Optigan" things in the studio, and played it themselves rather than sampled it from the earlier link. See this piece of film...

yes that's it I reckon it's just a preset.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:

Do we know anything about the voiceover in that section?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 6:33pm
Heston wrote:

Looking at the guest credits, a certain Gerald Baxter-Warman seems the most likely candidate. Plummy name usually means a plummy voice.

Also, did we ever get to the bottom of whether that is Tim Curry doing the voice over at the end of Sound of the Sinners? It mentions his involvement here...https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/558 ... rospective
Last edited by Heston on 06 Feb 2019, 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 7:03pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Looking at the guest credits, a certain Gerald Baxter-Warman seems the most likely candidate. Plummy name usually means a plummy voice.

Also, did we ever get to the bottom of whether that is Tim Curry doing the voice over at the end of Sound of the Sinners? He is in the guest credits.
I don't think he's in the guest credits? I remember someone kept putting him on the wikipedia page. I believe that was Den Hegarty on SoS.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 7:25pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Also, did we ever get to the bottom of whether that is Tim Curry doing the voice over at the end of Sound of the Sinners? He is in the guest credits.
I don't think he's in the guest credits? I remember someone kept putting him on the wikipedia page. I believe that was Den Hegarty on SoS.
I know it's Den Hegarty doing the bass vocals but not sure the voiceover sounds like him? You may have missed my edit in the earlier post but it mentions Tim's involvement here...
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/558 ... rospective

Though they could have took their info from the wiki article.

Heston

Post by Heston »

The guest list on Sandinista is pretty massive but there's a lot of missing info on who does what. Would have been nice to have it broken down properly.
Tymon Dogg (credited as 'Timon Dogg') - vocals & violin on "Lose This Skin", violin on "Lightning Strikes (Not Once but Twice)", "Something About England", "Mensforth Hill", "Junco Partner" and "The Equaliser", keyboard on "Sound of the Sinners"
Mickey Gallagher (Blockheads) - keyboards
Norman Watt-Roy (Blockheads) - bass guitar on "The Magnificent Seven"
J.P. Nicholson (also one of the album's engineers)
Ellen Foley - co-lead vocal on "Hitsville U.K."
Davey Payne (Blockheads) - saxophone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "The Crooked Beat", "If Music Could Talk", "Lose This Skin" and "Mensford Hill"
Rick Gascoigne - trombone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "Lose This Skin", "Mensford Hill" and "The Street Parade"
Band Sgt. Dave Yates - Drill Sergeant on "The Call Up"
Den Hegarty (Darts) - vocals
Luke & Ben Gallagher - vocals on "Career Opportunities"
Maria Gallagher - coda vocals on "Broadway"
Gary Barnacle - saxophone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "The Crooked Beat", "Lose This Skin", "Mensford Hill" and "The Street Parade"
Arthur Edward "Bill" Barnacle (Gary's father) - trumpet on " Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "Lose This Skin" and "The Street Parade"
Jody Linscott - percussion
Ivan Julian (Voidoids) - guitar
Noel "Tempo" Bailey (aka Sowell, reggae artist/session man) - guitar
Anthony Nelson Steelie (Wycliffe Johnson of Steely and Clevie)
Lew Lewis (Eddie and the Hot Rods) - harmonica on "Junco Partner", "Look Here", "Corner Soul", "Midnight Log", "The Equaliser", "Version City" and "Version Pardner"
Gerald Baxter-Warman
Terry McQuade (had a small role in Rude Boy)
Rudolph Adolphus Jordan
Battersea
Mikey Dread - vocals on "The Crooked Beat", "One More Time", "Living in Fame" and "Look Here"
Mikey Dread on Look Here? And what the hell is "drill sergeant" on The Call Up? What did Noel "Tempo" Bailey play on?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 7:34pm
The guest list on Sandinista is pretty massive but there's a lot of missing info on who does what. Would have been nice to have it broken down properly.
Tymon Dogg (credited as 'Timon Dogg') - vocals & violin on "Lose This Skin", violin on "Lightning Strikes (Not Once but Twice)", "Something About England", "Mensforth Hill", "Junco Partner" and "The Equaliser", keyboard on "Sound of the Sinners"
Mickey Gallagher (Blockheads) - keyboards
Norman Watt-Roy (Blockheads) - bass guitar on "The Magnificent Seven"
J.P. Nicholson (also one of the album's engineers)
Ellen Foley - co-lead vocal on "Hitsville U.K."
Davey Payne (Blockheads) - saxophone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "The Crooked Beat", "If Music Could Talk", "Lose This Skin" and "Mensford Hill"
Rick Gascoigne - trombone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "Lose This Skin", "Mensford Hill" and "The Street Parade"
Band Sgt. Dave Yates - Drill Sergeant on "The Call Up"
Den Hegarty (Darts) - vocals
Luke & Ben Gallagher - vocals on "Career Opportunities"
Maria Gallagher - coda vocals on "Broadway"
Gary Barnacle - saxophone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "The Crooked Beat", "Lose This Skin", "Mensford Hill" and "The Street Parade"
Arthur Edward "Bill" Barnacle (Gary's father) - trumpet on " Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "Lose This Skin" and "The Street Parade"
Jody Linscott - percussion
Ivan Julian (Voidoids) - guitar
Noel "Tempo" Bailey (aka Sowell, reggae artist/session man) - guitar
Anthony Nelson Steelie (Wycliffe Johnson of Steely and Clevie)
Lew Lewis (Eddie and the Hot Rods) - harmonica on "Junco Partner", "Look Here", "Corner Soul", "Midnight Log", "The Equaliser", "Version City" and "Version Pardner"
Gerald Baxter-Warman
Terry McQuade (had a small role in Rude Boy)
Rudolph Adolphus Jordan
Battersea
Mikey Dread - vocals on "The Crooked Beat", "One More Time", "Living in Fame" and "Look Here"
Mikey Dread on Look Here? And what the hell is "drill sergeant" on The Call Up? What did Noel "Tempo" Bailey play on?
Should've said "One More Dub". "Look Here" is just a error. Noel ''Sowell'' Bailey was in the ''Roots Radics'' a highly respected studio band that backed people like Bunny Wailer and Gregory Isaacs. He was also associated with Mikey Dread so it's possible he plays guitar on the Mikey dub tracks.

"drill sergeant" on The Call Up? - A guess maybe he was responsible for the chant "Hut-two-three-four, I love the Marine Corps".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I heard (somewhere, so grain of salt) that the Tim Curry thing was just a myth. Anybody else remember this?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 8:07pm
I heard (somewhere, so grain of salt) that the Tim Curry thing was just a myth. Anybody else remember this?
Yes same here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Also, did we ever get to the bottom of whether that is Tim Curry doing the voice over at the end of Sound of the Sinners? It mentions his involvement here...https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/558 ... rospective
"Tim Curry sang the part of the prosecutor in Roger Waters' 1990 production of The Wall in Berlin and appeared on “Sound of Sinners” on the album Sandinista! by the Clash".

It does sound like him, listening back to the track. The case remains open M,lud.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 6:06pm
Heston wrote:

yes that's it I reckon it's just a preset.
Did they use it in cinema ad's behind the voiceover?
I'm sure it goes with this