The Specials

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Specials

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 5:37pm
The Specials have their first #1 album!!
I’m guessing didn’t sell as many as s/t or MS to get there though :shifty:
No of course not. But hey what a great achievement for the guys and good taste. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I just learnt that Gangsters was written on Joe’s guitar at Rehearsal Rehearsal.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:06pm
I just learnt that Gangsters was written on Joe’s guitar at Rehearsal Rehearsal.
Both were managed by Bernie at the time so very possible. I know the line "the coppers take all your guitars" is about having one of the guitars being held for colateral from damaging a hotel room. Which was caused by "another" English band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:12pm
101Walterton wrote:
Both were managed by Bernie at the time so very possible. I know the line "the coppers take all your guitars" is about having one of the guitars being held for colateral from damaging a hotel room. Which was caused by "another" English band.
Yep they were living at Rehearsal. The equipment (including Roddy and Lynvsl’s guitars) was seized from a hotel in Paris where the Damned had previously stayed and caused lots of damage. Nothing to do with The Specials. The club owners in Paris got the gear back at gun point.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 8:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Yep they were living at Rehearsal. The equipment (including Roddy and Lynvsl’s guitars) was seized from a hotel in Paris where the Damned had previously stayed and caused lots of damage. Nothing to do with The Specials. The club owners in Paris got the gear back at gun point.
Yep I read that also. Damn Damned. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
101 knows, don’t argue ;)

Really cool story if indeed true though

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Isn’t that the time bernie sent them off to france without a penny in their pockets and they spent the whole time bitching about him. What I like about it is bernie definitely acted like a prick but I think looking back, the specials might agree that the trip did really bring them together as a band so maybe their was a bit of method to his madness. Being charitable to him in fairness.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 9:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Isn’t that the time bernie sent them off to france without a penny in their pockets and they spent the whole time bitching about him. What I like about it is bernie definitely acted like a prick but I think looking back, the specials might agree that the trip did really bring them together as a band so maybe their was a bit of method to his madness. Being charitable to him in fairness.
Yep. Nearly broke them but yes you are right probably brought them closer together as a band. Bernie also credited with getting them to dress like a gang. Whether or not he can take the credit for the Rude Boy look ( which I doubt) he did advise them to get a look.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 9:38pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Yep. Nearly broke them but yes you are right probably brought them closer together as a band. Bernie also credited with getting them to dress like a gang. Whether or not he can take the credit for the Rude Boy look ( which I doubt) he did advise them to get a look.
Whatever he did or didn’t do for them, i reckon the specials operated the correct bernie template, as did dexys too: get whatever early benefits they could out of his madcap plans and schemes, then fire the prick and, most crucial of all, STAY FIRED! The Clash fucked up on that last detail.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
Was the guitar playing a record of Al Capone by Prince Buster?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 8:34am
101Walterton wrote:
Yes with full sound effects.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
:mrgreen:

The writing credits are a bit cheeky.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 10:00am
Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
:mrgreen:

The writing credits are a bit cheeky.
Yeah maybe it should've been The All Stars / The Specials.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 6:36am
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Whatever he did or didn’t do for them, i reckon the specials operated the correct bernie template, as did dexys too: get whatever early benefits they could out of his madcap plans and schemes, then fire the prick and, most crucial of all, STAY FIRED! The Clash fucked up on that last detail.
Yep.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 6:36am
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I dunno, both those bands could have had a Combat Rock-esque resurgence with a little Bernie in the backseat.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc