movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: movies

Post by Inder »

When a Stranger Calls Back is 2/3rds amazing and 1/3rd amazing in a completely different way.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 5:17am
When a Stranger Calls Back is 2/3rds amazing and 1/3rd amazing in a completely different way.
I saw it years ago, I'll check it again. Jill Schoelin is great, and I love Carol Kane
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Whenever the political situation gets this bad I like to make time to watch Spies Like Us.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 12:20am
Whenever the political situation gets this bad I like to make time to watch Spies Like Us.

When was the last time it got this bad?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss has dialed up the 1976 version of A Star is Born. I will never ever gain the insight to understand Barbra Streisand's appeal.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 8:01pm
The Boss has dialed up the 1976 version of A Star is Born. I will never ever gain the insight to understand Barbra Streisand's appeal.
I fall into one of her main demographics and I cannot stand her. Though, evidently, she was super nice to Richard Blade when he DJd her sonn's bar mitzvah, so who am I to judge?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 10:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I fall into one of her main demographics and I cannot stand her. Though, evidently, she was super nice to Richard Blade when he DJd her sonn's bar mitzvah, so who am I to judge?
You also hate Billy Joel, so you are clearly not representative of her true demographic.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
That is an atrocious film on so many levels. I'm sure I'll never view it again - but if I do - I'll be cheering when Kristofferson's character dies. I think Kris Kristofferson is actually a pretty cool dude - but the film is still drivel...and yes - I do not understand her appeal. Maybe I'm too young or something.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 10:51am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You also hate Billy Joel, so you are clearly not representative of her true demographic.
Good point. But my hatred for Billy Joel has lead to a friendship with Alan Light, so it's all good. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 11:06am
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Good point. But my hatred for Billy Joel has lead to a friendship with Alan Light, so it's all good. :mrgreen:
I think you might be two steps away from gaining Stormfront membership.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 11:15am
JennyB wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 11:06am
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think you might be two steps away from gaining Stormfront membership.
:naughty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Tales From the Darkside: The Movie (1990) Film version of the cult TV anthology from the mid-80s. While trying to stall Debbie Harry from cooking him, a kid reads her three tales of terror. First Steve Buscemi sends a mummy after Julianne Moore and Christian Slater. Then David Johansen is a hitman hired to snuff out a murderous cat. In the third and by far best story, James Remar finds the love of his life in Rae Dawn Chong only moments after a near death experience with a living gargoyle in an adaptation of one of the stories from the Japanese classic Kwaidan. A little gory and a lot of fun.

Ginger Snaps (2000) Two goth sisters (Emily Perkins and Katherine Isabelle)see their high school experience take a turn for the unexpected when one of them is bitten by a werewolf in this outstanding coming of age flick from Canada. Also with Mimi Rogers and lots of dead dogs. Don’t miss it.

Ghost Stories (2017) A professor who exposes psychics on TV is contacted by a professor who used to expose psychics on TV and asks him to investigate three particular cases. The cases were mediocre at best, and though it did take an interesting turn at the end, it was an overall “meh.” With Martin Freeman.

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972) Best title of a movie ever? Maybe. A philandering, abusive novelist is suspected of murder when a couple of women he knew turn up dead. When not being beat up by her husband, his wife (Anita Strindberg) is in the midst of a feud with a housecat named Satan. When his libertine niece (the gorgeous Edwige Fenech) comes to stay things change, but there’s still more murders. Very good giallo from Sergio Martino with a good amount of nudity and a huge nod to Edgar Allen Poe. Luigi Pistilli, who was the male lead, played Tuco’s preist brother in The Good, the Bad & the Ugly.

Hold the Dark (2018) In Alaska, a mother calls wolf expert Jeffrey Wright (Westworld) to kill the wolves that snatched her child. Her soldier husband (True Blood’s Alexander Skarsgard) is returning from Iraq sooner than expected. Nothing goes as planned and the body count in this gets pretty high, though I was disappointed in the lack of explanation of what motivated these characters to do what they did. From the director of Green Room.

Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed (2004) Brigitte has been on the run since the events of the first film and injecting herself with a poisonous serum made from wolfsbane in order to prevent her from turning into a werewolf. She gets arrested and put in a hospital for addicted girls, though they can’t figure out why her drug of choice is poison. All the while, another werewolf is on her trail and the entire hospital is in danger, so she schemes an escape plan with a clever little girl who stays there with her burn victim aunt. Emily Perkins returns as Brigitte and Katherine Isabelle as Ginger in dream sequences. I’ve never seen the show, but who would have thought the little girl who played “Ghost” would go on to star in Orphan Black? Very good sequel that had the guts not to imitate its predecessor.

Mute (2018) A weird Sci-Fi Noir that kinda reminded of Blade Runner, visually, at least. In near future Berlin, True Blood’s Alexander Skarsgard plays a mute bartender who goes on a search for his girlfriend when she unexpectedly vanishes. Lots of violence follows. Paul Rudd plays an asshole for the first time ever, maybe? Directed by son of David Bowie Duncan Jones, who previously did the outstanding Moon.

Blood Link (1982) Michael Moriarty is an American doctor who has visions of himself committing murders, and eventually figures out he has a psychic connection with his separated Siamese twin, whom he thought was dead. This leads him to Berlin where he must convince his psycho-sib that killing is wrong. How do you think that goes? Lots of nudity, and despite the outrageous plot from the director of Pumaman, this was pretty entertaining. The second best murderous-seperated-siamese-twins movie of 1982!

Two Evil Eyes (1990) Two one-hour Edgar Allan Poe adaptations for the price of one! First, George A. Romero takes on “The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar”. Trophy-Wife Adrian Barbeau and her doctor boyfriend hypnotize her terminal husband into signing over his fortune, but he dies while under, and somehow this makes him retain consciousness in death. Also with E.G. Marshall. Then, Dario Argento does The Black Cat. Harvey Keitel is a crime photographer who kills his girlfriends cat in the name of art, then later kills her in a drunken rage. Kim Hunter and Marty Balsam play nosey neighbors and John Amos is a cop. I saw this in the theater when it opened, and I still have my VSH cassette!

Glass (2019) M. Night Shamalan’s sequel to both Unbreakable, and Split. If you liked those you would probably like this. I did.

King Cohen: The Wild World of Filmaker Larry Cohen (2017) See the story of the exploitation great through interviews with the man himself and many friends and co-workers. Loaded with clips from his start as a TV writer, then his Blaxploitation films with Fred Williamson, his horror classics (It’s Alive, God Told Me to, Q, and The Stuff to name a few) and finally finding a mainstream niche as a prolific screenwriter. Some great stories about him filming all over the streets of New York without a permit. I highly recommend this one, and it’s on Shudder.

Salem’s Lot (1979) Tobe Hooper directs this 3+ hour Made-for-TV Stephen king adaptation. Starsky & Hutch’s David Soul is a novelist returning to his hometown to write a book about a spooky house on a hill, but it has been purchased by outsider James Mason, who brings an ancient European vampire to live in it and turn the population. Reggie Nalder’s Nosferatu-like make-up is great, as is the iconic “kid-floating-at-the-window” scenes, but man, this was slow and long. Could have easily worked an hour shorter. At least a half hour is dedicated to the real estate agent having an affair with the hillbilly’s wife, and that didn’t have anything to do with anything! All that said, it is worth a watch. There is a 2 hour version that was theatrically released in Europe, if I ever watch it again, I’ll try to find that version.

Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (2017) Animated feature length film, heavy on the SciFi. Godzilla has forced the dwindling population of Earth into space for 20 years, and when they return it’s 10,000 years later for some reason. They kid who resented the Big G the most leads the battle. The first half of the movie was nonstop jargon about atmosphere, biosphere, all kinds of sphere, I was bored to tears. There’s 2 sequels. Not my cup of tea, but I might watch the sequels anyway.

Avenging Angel (1985) Sequel to one of my alltime faves, about a highschool honor student-turned Hollywood hooker trying to avoid getting slashed by a serial killer. In this one, the cop who rescued her gets murdered by the mob and Angel leaves college to find some answers. Sexy Betsy Russell replaces the cute Donna Wilkes as the title character, and Susan Tyrell and Rory Calhoun reprise their roles, but this one was flat compared to the first one. Some nudity, and a little comedy sprinkled in as well.

Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (2019) The title explains it. There’s clips and interviews, and two movies I hadn’t seen that I think I need to, and one I hadn’t even heard of (Eve’s Bayou (1997) anybody know it?) This was very good, watch it.
Blood Tracks (1985) Swedish/American slasher about a hair metal band shooting a rock video in the snow with a crew and a half dozen sexy video chicks when they get trapped by an avalanche, then stalked by a Hills Have Eyes type family. Sounds great, yeah, but no. Some nudity, and lots of kills but most of them took place on a dark screen. Pretty amateur feeling and tough to watch. It had kung fu quality dubbing, even though the lips seemed to be speaking English. Avoid.

Let Me In (2011) I gave a second chance to the American remake of arguably the best movie of the century, and yeah it’s good, but is it really necessary? There wasn’t anything that made it stand out from the original (except maybe the inclusion of the great Greg Kihn tune “The Break-up Song”) so for future I’ll stick with the original.

Velvet Buzzsaw (2019) Snooty art-types promote the works of a dead artist and they die mysterious deaths. I don’t think I’d seen anything like it before, so I found it interesting and while I’d say I did enjoy it it’s highly unlikely I’d ever revisit. For absolutely no reason, here’s some horror movies off the top of my head that are art-based: Color Me Blood Red, Driller Killer, Bucket of Blood.
Last edited by tepista on 15 Feb 2019, 10:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 6:08pm

Let Me In (2011) I gave a second chance to the American remake of arguably the best movie of the century, and yeah it’s good, but is it really necessary? There wasn’t anything that made it stand out from the original (except maybe the inclusion of the great Greg Kihn tune “The Break-up Song”) so for future I’ll stick with the original.
I never saw this American version. I did have the unfortunate experience of seeing the original dubbed into English which was just awful because the dialog was just stupid.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 6:45pm
tepista wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 6:08pm

I never saw this American version. I did have the unfortunate experience of seeing the original dubbed into English which was just awful because the dialog was just stupid.
It's actually not bad at all, but it's like covering a song note for note, what's the point?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I liked Ghost Stories a lot myself
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/