London SS

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: London SS

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 10:19pm
matedog wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 9:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 7:59pm
Flex wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 7:47pm
more and more, those london ss tapes are turning out to be one of the last great missing pieces of early punk rock history. i mean (and this is a genuine question, i don't do a very good job keeping this stuff straight in my head), what else is left of similar historical importance in terms of 70s punk?
Not very much really left that's not been bootlegged or officially released over the years. One interesting artifact maybe whether the backing tracks that The Clash laid down in Maida Vale for the John Peel session still exist. John Waters said they definitely laid down a couple of backing tracks before walking out of the session.
Eh? What/when?
Peel and Waters have both claimed the band laid down something before they walked out. The engineer is not so sure and the band don't seem to know too much either.

One attempt, scheduled for 24 April 1978, was abandoned. Peel noted in his diary the circumstances surrounding this: "They actually got as far as recording the backing tracks, but then they were so out of their heads they couldn't finish it, and decided the BBC's equipment wasn't good enough. It was one of those things where you thought: How do you argue with stupidity on this level? Not a very punk attitude, I thought.

However, Ken Garner's The Peel Sessions contains an anecdote by Bill Aitken, the engineer on that date, which casts doubt on Peel's recollection. Aitken suggests that, when he inquired after Topper Headon's dog, the rest of the band made fun of Headon because of this. The session then became increasingly negative and was finally cancelled by the group.

In an interview for BBC6Music broadcast in October 2013 the three remaining members of The Clash - Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon recalled the session:

"It didn't work, so we just walked out and left it, it didn't sound any good," says Topper. "It was us, I'm sure," says Mick, magnanimously. "Speak for yourself," retorts Topper. "John Peel never forgave us.
Can't be it be all three?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 10:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 7:47pm
more and more, those london ss tapes are turning out to be one of the last great missing pieces of early punk rock history. i mean (and this is a genuine question, i don't do a very good job keeping this stuff straight in my head), what else is left of similar historical importance in terms of 70s punk?
Not very much really left that's not been bootlegged or officially released over the years. One interesting artifact maybe whether the backing tracks that The Clash laid down in Maida Vale for the John Peel session still exist. John Waters said they definitely laid down a couple of backing tracks before walking out of the session.
Eh? What/when?
Peel and Waters have both claimed the band laid down something before they walked out. The engineer is not so sure and the band don't seem to know too much either.

One attempt, scheduled for 24 April 1978, was abandoned. Peel noted in his diary the circumstances surrounding this: "They actually got as far as recording the backing tracks, but then they were so out of their heads they couldn't finish it, and decided the BBC's equipment wasn't good enough. It was one of those things where you thought: How do you argue with stupidity on this level? Not a very punk attitude, I thought.

However, Ken Garner's The Peel Sessions contains an anecdote by Bill Aitken, the engineer on that date, which casts doubt on Peel's recollection. Aitken suggests that, when he inquired after Topper Headon's dog, the rest of the band made fun of Headon because of this. The session then became increasingly negative and was finally cancelled by the group.

In an interview for BBC6Music broadcast in October 2013 the three remaining members of The Clash - Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon recalled the session:

"It didn't work, so we just walked out and left it, it didn't sound any good," says Topper. "It was us, I'm sure," says Mick, magnanimously. "Speak for yourself," retorts Topper. "John Peel never forgave us.
All three are wrong? Or all three just have bad memories? How do you mean mate?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 10:24pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Eh? What/when?

Haha bad grammar, can't it be all 3 is what I meant to say. Bit of truth in all of them from different perspectives.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 11:34pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 10:24pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

Eh? What/when?

Haha bad grammar, can't it be all 3 is what I meant to say. Bit of truth in all of them from different perspectives.
Obviously I've no idea how much music the Clash played that day. But if they were saying it sounded crap then they must've at least started to play something. So lets hope the tape was rolling.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia