The Future of the Democratic Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Flex »

The problem is there hasn't been much leadership churn towards the top - the party basically configured itself to run through Obama and then hand off to Chillary and then have a lot of really young folks groom up over that time. Putting all their eggs in that basket has been an obvious leadership disaster.

In the field, I still like Warren, and I even think she has a path towards widespread popularity (her book from some years back, The Two Income Trap, is good broadly popular messaging), but she definitely has her downsides.

A lot got papered over by Obama's preternatural charisma over eight years.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:38pm
Bingo. He seemed so cutting edge that so many missed the fact that he was a status quo managerial kind of guy. And modern politics is especially personality driven at the expense of structures that it's hard to get those conversations going. AOC is so goddamned valuable for being so charismatic, young, and adept at modern communication, plus she's talking about systematic problems, pushing them into mainstream conversation.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
The problem is there hasn't been much leadership churn towards the top - the party basically configured itself to run through Obama and then hand off to Chillary and then have a lot of really young folks groom up over that time. Putting all their eggs in that basket has been an obvious leadership disaster.

In the field, I still like Warren, and I even think she has a path towards widespread popularity (her book from some years back, The Two Income Trap, is good broadly popular messaging), but she definitely has her downsides.

I agree. She's still my favorite - I just worry about that path to widespread popularity. I think she has a message that can resonate with a lot of people - but are they willing to give her a chance?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:48pm
Flex wrote:
Bingo. He seemed so cutting edge that so many missed the fact that he was a status quo managerial kind of guy. And modern politics is especially personality driven at the expense of structures that it's hard to get those conversations going. AOC is so goddamned valuable for being so charismatic, young, and adept at modern communication, plus she's talking about systematic problems, pushing them into mainstream conversation.
Very telling that she has made enemies within the Democratic establishment. The talking of wanting to primary her is ridiculous...but not shocking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Very telling that she has made enemies within the Democratic establishment. The talking of wanting to primary her is ridiculous...but not shocking.
That she's attacked by Republicans and Democrats alike signals a deeper truth about the nature of the two parties.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 1:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
That she's attacked by Republicans and Democrats alike signals a deeper truth about the nature of the two parties.
Yup...

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Is Harris' right leaning stance on crime an asset to appeal to moderates or a liability to limit ability to fire up the base?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 1:03pm
Is Harris' right leaning stance on crime an asset to appeal to moderates or a liability to limit ability to fire up the base?
Hard to say. Her stances on criminal justice are complex and somewhat convoluted. Personally, I think she needs to be honest about her record and if she does that - and doesn't try and spin it - I could be okay with it (maybe). I think there is enough in her past, however, that she's open to attacks from both sides. The left will go after her for being too tough and the right will go after her for the times she wasn't tough enough. There was one case where she apparently didn't seek the death penalty for a cop killer. I don't know the details - but that's something the right will definitely come at her for.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Any thoughts on Sherrod Brown?

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 1:20pm
Any thoughts on Sherrod Brown?
Solid progressive in the Senate...fucking clownshoes party boss in Ohio.

He's great where he is, but would be a comedy-of-errors in any other role.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4298 ... y-exchange

That's how that shit stain should be treated.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 4:44pm
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4298 ... y-exchange

That's how that shit stain should be treated.
But he has lots of experience, a really long cv!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Bernie running is the best political news of the year.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 10:49am
His best function might be as an unofficial attack dog for Warren, to expose the garbage centrists, and then let her be the electable version of him.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 10:53am
Silent Majority wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 10:49am
His best function might be as an unofficial attack dog for Warren, to expose the garbage centrists, and then let her be the electable version of him.
Also: push her away from her worst inclinations. Someone cutting through bullshit vagueness is exactly what the race needs.

The Hillary/Obama coalition still has enough of a finger on the till not to let him through, but if he did miraculously get the nom, while I think Trump will walk it, Bernard is one of the few I think with a fighting chance.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/