movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: movies

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 6:58pm
Silent Majority wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 6:51pm
I just got back from seeing Glass. Loved it. Fucking awful. Shyamalan has the balls, the courage to make this kind of thing and he stands alone.
I am confused by your comments.
It's a terrible film with a coherent message and theme, lots of spectacles and ideas. I respect Night's utter lack of fear in slamming his movie right out there. It's a rare beast nowadays: a truly enjoyable bad movie.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 7:02pm
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I just got back from seeing Glass. Loved it. Fucking awful. Shyamalan has the balls, the courage to make this kind of thing and he stands alone.
It's a terrible film with a coherent message and theme, lots of spectacles and ideas. I respect Night's utter lack of fear in slamming his movie right out there. It's a rare beast nowadays: a truly enjoyable bad movie.
I'm clearly not in the right frame of mind for you at this point.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Do you think he believes it's a mess (even an intentional mess)?

(I really liked Unbreakable, but I'm not thrilled with MNS' work as a whole.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 7:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

(I really liked Unbreakable, but I'm not thrilled with MNS' work as a whole.)

I haven't seen Unbreakable since around whenever it came out. I remember liking it at the time.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

revbob wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 7:13pm
Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
You sound like my wife.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 7:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
No, he was trying to make an intelligent blockbuster classic.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 3:14am
revbob wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 7:13pm
Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
You sound like my wife.
Sounds like you married a great woman.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Recent interview with the ultra awesome Penelope Spheeris: https://film.avclub.com/wayne-s-world-d ... 1833211775
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 8:39pm
Recent interview with the ultra awesome Penelope Spheeris: https://film.avclub.com/wayne-s-world-d ... 1833211775
That fucking rules.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 8:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 8:39pm
That fucking rules.
It does. Also, I always forget what Darby Crash looks like. I always picture him looking like Pat Smear.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Body Count (1986) David Hess (Last House) and Mimsy Farmer (Autopsy) run a camping ground that’s been closed for 15 years, ever since that ghost of an Indian shaman killed all those kids. Now that their grown son has returned from the army and brought a shitload of young adults with him, let the body count begin! Not as gory as you’d expect, coming from Ruggero Deodado of Cannibal Holocaust fame, but as the title implies, the body count was high, and so was the naked lady count. Charles Napier plays a cop, you’ll recognize him from several of his 200+ credits. This forgotten slasher was a blast!

House of Traps (1982) Fun kung fu flick from the Shaw Brothers featuring most of the Venom Mob. Some guys try to recover stolen priceless objects from a booby-trapped house, and a lot of the effects are pretty baddass. The dubbing was among the most laughable I’d ever seen, but it adds to the charm. I don’t believe there was a single female in the film.

Experiment in Terror (1962) Lee Remick (The Omen) is a cute, young bankteller who is approached by an asthmatic psycho-killer, who threatens to murder her kid sister (Stephanie Powers) if she doesn’t rob the bank. Glen Ford is FBI, and Wild Wild West’s Ross Martin is the killer. One really great scene of a dead body hanging from the ceiling of a mannequin factory. The climactic scene is at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. Director Blake Edwards is usually known for comedy, no chuckles in this entertaining black and white psychological thriller.

It’s Alive III: Island of the Alive (1987) The mutant babies have stopped being born, and the five that haven’t been terminated are sent to a remote island to fend for themselves. Michael Moriarty is a parent who accompanies a group of “bad guys” who want to do some further testing. In a short five years the babies have grown into 7 foot tall monsters, who kill everyone and hijack the boat back to Florida, where one of the mothers (Karen Black) lives. They know this because they’re psychic! This was a lot of fun and a good ending to Larry Cohen’s trilogy.

Disconnected (1984) Barbara Ann likes to bang all of her twin sister Alicia’s boyfriends. Big mistake because her new one is that serial killer who’s been murdering all those girls. Alicia also gets constant phone calls with screeching on the other end. Pretty amateur-feeling production from the director of Psychos in Love, one shot is through an apartment window directly into the sun, and at one point the cops wonder out loud if interviewing people in the neighborhood would be a good idea after the sixth murder. I did manage to stay entertained, pretty Frances Raines plays both parts and takes her clothes off a few times, and there was a bad to mediocre new wave soundtrack.

The Scorpion with Two Tails (1982) A young woman’s archeologist husband (John Saxon in a very small part) is mysteriously killed, and when she goes to investigate she finds an underground drug ring and more murders. Sergio Martino is certainly in the top echelon of anyone’s list of 70s giallo directors, but this was as dull, bloodless and sexless as you could imagine. All the murders were heads being twisted 180 degrees, and this special effect was achieved by having the actor wear his or her clothes backwards, and they did it at least five times. If you want to make a drinking game, take a shot every time someone says “Etruscan”, or better yet, don’t watch it at all, it’s awful. Also staring a few thousand maggots. The pretty blond who played the lead, Elvrie Audray, committed suicide in 2000 at age 40.

Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel (2018) A few years after several lives were lost at a haunted attraction, an “investigative report” TV show goes back to film, and find themselves trapped. Not quite as good as the original found footage gimmick from 2015, but it had some moments. Nothing I’d watch twice.

Cam (2018) A popular internet sexcam worker finds one day that an exact replica of herself has taken over her page and her dozens of adoring fans. I’m not quite sure I was satisfied with the ending, but it was a fun, weird ride, and never dull. Good nudity.

Zombie Holocaust aka Dr. Butcher, M.D. (1980) Body parts are turning up missing from corpses at a hospital in New York, so the investigation leads a team the East Indies, where cannibals eat much of the crew, but survivors stumble upon something even more devious, a western doctor experimenting with brain transplants and creating the living dead! Lots of gore, some nudity, and did I mention lots of gore? I used to rent this VHS under its American Dr. Butcher title. It belongs on a triple feature with Fulci’s Zombi 2, and D’Amato’s Anthropophagus.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Watched "The Foreigner" on Netflix last night and really enjoyed it. Jackie Chan does well in a serious role and Pierce Brosnan gives the best acting performance I've seen from him as a corrupt Irish politician. 9/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 5:32pm
Watched "The Foreigner" on Netflix last night and really enjoyed it. Jackie Chan does well in a serious role and Pierce Brosnan gives the best acting performance I've seen from him as a corrupt Irish politician. 9/10
I’ll definitely have a piece of that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 5:32pm
Yep I thought that was decent.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia