Help Please

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Help Please

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 8:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 8:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 8:15pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 7:08pm
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 6:47pm
I had a quick go at it (I have a minor in graphic design) and the original image isn't terrible. I was able to pull it into InDesign and export it as a poster sized print ready file. It looks okay - a little grainy, but not bad. I also did a little work in Photoshop and while I didn't spend that much time tweaking some of the settings - I was able to increase the resolution of the image while minimizing image quality degradation. Nothing is going to beat a higher res version of this image, but in my opinion you could get a pretty decent looking poster out of what we have here. I'm definitely interested to hear what Kory has to say on this as he probably has some better ideas!!
How bid do you think it would go?

One suggestion from Kory was to track down the original backing picture to recreate the tour poster.
It could probably go bigger than the 28 x 22 that I tried. I bumped the image up from 96 to 300.
Is this in ye olde inches?
Yes, sorry! :mrgreen:
Perfect size!!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 8:35pm
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 7:08pm

How bid do you think it would go?

One suggestion from Kory was to track down the original backing picture to recreate the tour poster.
It could probably go bigger than the 28 x 22 that I tried. I bumped the image up from 96 to 300.
Perfect size!!
I'm going to have another go at it. I quickly ran a test page on a pretty good color laser printer and I wasn't all that happy with it. I might be able to do better.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 8:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Perfect size!!
I'm going to have another go at it. I quickly ran a test page on a pretty good color laser printer and I wasn't all that happy with it. I might be able to do better.
Thanks, I know Deny is keen on a copy as well if it works!!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 8:45pm
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Perfect size!!
It's a great looking poster. If it turns out - I think I'll get one, too!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 8:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 8:45pm
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Perfect size!!
It's a great looking poster. If it turns out - I think I'll get one, too!
You should start selling them on Ebay to get back at the greedy twat who want drop his $1,500 price for the original :angry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Uh, I, too, would like to express my fondness for and interest in that poster. *wink wink*
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wally, let me know if WK's try is satisfactory, and I'll just wait to see if there's a hi-res version of the backing image. WK, I had some decent results scaling up with bicubic smooth, but I agree that "presents" bit is going to be a problem no matter what. It's just too small.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 9:06pm
Uh, I, too, would like to express my fondness for and interest in that poster. *wink wink*
Hello,

Ditto (I think this is an ancient graphic designer term).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 12:26am
Wally, let me know if WK's try is satisfactory, and I'll just wait to see if there's a hi-res version of the backing image. WK, I had some decent results scaling up with bicubic smooth, but I agree that "presents" bit is going to be a problem no matter what. It's just too small.
Will do, any tips on searching for the original image? I did a Google image search but it just brought up the tour posters.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
I started with scaling up with bicubic smooth, but I felt it still didn't look great - so I ran it through a couple of filters: despeckle to reduce some of the artifacts and then diffuse anisotropic to counterbalance some of the smoothing. I still wasn't sure if I liked it - so ran an unsharpen mask and then added some noise back in. Final step was to create an duplicate layer and run a high pass to pull out some of the background detail - I though that would maybe sharpen up some of the text when I blended it back together. I might play with a few of the filter settings to see if I can clean it up a bit more.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 8:24am
Kory wrote:
I started with scaling up with bicubic smooth, but I felt it still didn't look great - so I ran it through a couple of filters: despeckle to reduce some of the artifacts and then diffuse anisotropic to counterbalance some of the smoothing. I still wasn't sure if I liked it - so ran an unsharpen mask and then added some noise back in. Final step was to create an duplicate layer and run a high pass to pull out some of the background detail - I though that would maybe sharpen up some of the text when I blended it back together. I might play with a few of the filter settings to see if I can clean it up a bit more.
That's exactly what i would have done ;)

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

white man wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 12:10pm
WestwayKid wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 8:24am
Kory wrote:
That's exactly what i would have done ;)
Once in awhile my education comes in handy... :mrgreen:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Redone_Poster.jpg
Here's what I came up with. This is just a .jpeg preview - but I cleaned it up best I could & also recreated some of the text (tried to keep an "old school" poster look to it).

I have it saved as a print quality PDF - but I can't attach PDF files here - so I'd have to email (it isn't a huge file).

It's formatted to be printed as a 28"w x 22"h poster.

It should look pretty good printed out - but until you actually have the finished product in hand you won't know for certain - so there is an element of risk involved (you all have been warned :mrgreen: ).

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I also corrected the color. I found a couple of other versions of the poster and they seemed to lean more red than orange.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Holy crap, that looks awesome.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!