MLB 2019

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is the name of a pulp era hero: https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... za01.shtml
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Haha Tulo homered off Stro in his first at-bat for the Yankees because Toronto. This year is gonna blow.

Oh well.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 10:50am
Interesting article

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/re ... ix-it/amp/
Yeah, my immediate thought was that starters wouldn't be throwing as hard, which would be better for the older pitchers who get by on location and guile to extend their careers. And more starters shifting to the bullpen later in their careers. Plus, perhaps, fielders who are competent enough pitchers to throw an inning here and there to fake-increase the number of pitchers on staff.

I do actually like the proposed rule of having a new pitcher forced to pitch to three guys or end an inning. Of all the things that lengthen games, that's the only one that really annoys me—having someone pitch to one batter and then leave.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

The sox fans on the board will enjoy this. The rest of you...probably not so much.

https://deadspin.com/it-shouldnt-be-so- ... 1832860940

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Boddington wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 1:30pm
The sox fans on the board will enjoy this. The rest of you...probably not so much.

https://deadspin.com/it-shouldnt-be-so- ... 1832860940
The weird thing about the team last year is that, apart from the monster seasons by Betts and Martinez, everyone else seemed either so-so or worrisome. That is, that team never seemed like a world beater to me, and that's why I didn't get my hopes up. I wouldn't have been surprised at the time if they'd lost any of their playoff series—I still think Houston was a more talented team—because, while they were clearly a good team, they just didn't seem *that* good to me. Which is why it ended up as much fun as the '13 team, who definitely weren't as good as what they accomplished. I much prefer those teams who either overachieve or it just looks that way. Monster teams where you expect them to win always contain that anxiety of what will happen if they fail.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 4:58pm
Son, this is a 75-win team. Do you think you can honestly contribute to a 75-win team?

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I mean, I get it. He can't go out and say they're doing the service time thing — but holy shit could you maybe work on obfuscating more effectively.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 5:08pm
I mean, I get it. He can't go out and say they're doing the service time thing — but holy shit could you maybe work on obfuscating more effectively.
The best part is that the Jays will have tons of AAAA guys on the 25 who, by Atkins' logic, are overall better than VGJr. Yep, Dalton Pompey is better right now, no doubt about it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Harper, 13 years/$300M to the Phillies, with no opt-outs. The average yearly salary is probably tolerable, but thirteen years is crazy long. Safe prediction: fans and player alike will hate the deal well before it ends.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 5:36pm
Harper, 13 years/$300M to the Phillies, with no opt-outs. The average yearly salary is probably tolerable, but thirteen years is crazy long. Safe prediction: fans and player alike will hate the deal well before it ends.
hope he enjoys getting batteries thrown at his head in the back half of his contract.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 5:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 5:36pm
hope he enjoys getting batteries thrown at his head in the back half of this season.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I honestly cannot separate the maga shitheads and the domestic abuse enough to care about the Cubs this year. I mean, I don’t even think I’d care if they did something, ANYTHING, this offseason. Fucking Sinclair? No thanks.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"