Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:57pm
Kory wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 9:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 9:16pm
Oddly enough whenever I see that quote it for some reason reminds me of Mark Hollis and Talk Talk's music. There is something resplendent yet melancholic going on there.
It's such a curious thing to see Talk Talk—the latter period, that is—described as melancholy. I mean, yeah, it isn't uptempo energy and all, but I've always found it uplifting. There's a fundamental hopefulness to it all. I'd be cool with having Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock played at my funeral just to say, no worries, it's okay.
Done and done
Or Swans, to let people know that I never resolved my frustrations.
Sorry. Canadian law has decreed you can only have the Tragically Hip.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:07pm
Mimi wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:39pm
I grew up dirt poor and had a shitty childhood. I was depressed then but stuffed all those feelings away. Although my relationship with someone who has a great career allows me to live a much better life now, I suffer from all the emotions I repressed as a kid. It hit me in my early 40s, and I've been dealing with it ever since. My brother, who actually was the target of abuse, is still poor and still suffers from depression. I don't doubt that our materialistic culture has an impact on some people, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with comparing that kind of depression to clinical depression or something like PTSD. The former can be easily fixed by adjusting your mindset; the latter two, well, not so much. But, and I probably should have said this first, I don't like minimizing anyone's pain. I'm not in your brain, your heart, your soul and will never know the depths of another's burdens.
My apologies if my comments made it seem that I believed all depressions / anxieties / etc are basically the same and can be treated similarly. There are some people who clearly went thru traumatic episodes that horribly altered the way they perceive and interact with the world. I was speaking more to where revbob was coming from, that place where someone can look at their material comfort and think, What have you got to be depressed about? It's maddening for all involved, and can just encourage further feelings of poor self-worth because you think, Yeah, asshole, why aren't you happy with all you got? You're faking this, you little attention whore. Nothing demonstrates how powerful the human brain is than when it weaponizes itself against its host, making sure the answer to all scenarios ends with, You're a loser.
No, you're fine. I wasn't thinking that. In this country, not sure if it's a USA Fuck Yeah! thing or not, but there's this attitude that complaining is wrong and self-indulgent. Folks get blasted if they come across as a whiner who can't pull themselves up from their own bootstraps. For those suffering with depression, where it's already hard to talk about, that mentality just makes it harder, and when I hear of studies or of folks who are somewhat unsympathetic, I get words coming out of my mouth. I may have lost my point. lol I just ate lunch and man I feel like someone clubbed me upside my head. I need a nap.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Oddly enough whenever I see that quote it for some reason reminds me of Mark Hollis and Talk Talk's music. There is something resplendent yet melancholic going on there.
It's such a curious thing to see Talk Talk—the latter period, that is—described as melancholy. I mean, yeah, it isn't uptempo energy and all, but I've always found it uplifting. There's a fundamental hopefulness to it all. I'd be cool with having Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock played at my funeral just to say, no worries, it's okay.
Done and done
Sorry. Canadian law has decreed you can only have the Tragically Hip.
So, I have to emigrate before dying. Crap—more hassles.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Done and done
That will save me the plane fare.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:07pm
Mimi wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:39pm
I grew up dirt poor and had a shitty childhood. I was depressed then but stuffed all those feelings away. Although my relationship with someone who has a great career allows me to live a much better life now, I suffer from all the emotions I repressed as a kid. It hit me in my early 40s, and I've been dealing with it ever since. My brother, who actually was the target of abuse, is still poor and still suffers from depression. I don't doubt that our materialistic culture has an impact on some people, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with comparing that kind of depression to clinical depression or something like PTSD. The former can be easily fixed by adjusting your mindset; the latter two, well, not so much. But, and I probably should have said this first, I don't like minimizing anyone's pain. I'm not in your brain, your heart, your soul and will never know the depths of another's burdens.
My apologies if my comments made it seem that I believed all depressions / anxieties / etc are basically the same and can be treated similarly. There are some people who clearly went thru traumatic episodes that horribly altered the way they perceive and interact with the world. I was speaking more to where revbob was coming from, that place where someone can look at their material comfort and think, What have you got to be depressed about? It's maddening for all involved, and can just encourage further feelings of poor self-worth because you think, Yeah, asshole, why aren't you happy with all you got? You're faking this, you little attention whore. Nothing demonstrates how powerful the human brain is than when it weaponizes itself against its host, making sure the answer to all scenarios ends with, You're a loser.
No, you're fine. I wasn't thinking that. In this country, not sure if it's a USA Fuck Yeah! thing or not, but there's this attitude that complaining is wrong and self-indulgent. Folks get blasted if they come across as a whiner who can't pull themselves up from their own bootstraps. For those suffering with depression, where it's already hard to talk about, that mentality just makes it harder, and when I hear of studies or of folks who are somewhat unsympathetic, I get words coming out of my mouth. I may have lost my point. lol I just ate lunch and man I feel like someone clubbed me upside my head. I need a nap.
The culture is improving here, but, yeah, it's still that "get over it" and "you're making my life tough with your whining." My dad was especially like that—people with mental health issues or addictions were just weak-willed. They couldn't "handle" life. And as much progress as I've made with understanding that that's completely false, when I'm going thru a bad period, that shit comes back, asserting itself as true.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Done and done
That will save me the plane fare.
Much :lol:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Aug 2014, 9:41pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Basically, everyone has always assumed he was a paedophile and got on with their lives.
This might actually be my favourite ever post on IMCT.
I love 101's method of explaining stuff that's about to happen. Round about Pearl Harbour, there'd be a single, correct post with no context about how the tides might be erratic on December 7th.
Can't exactly spell it out!!
This is the start far more serious stuff to come.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... use/04/03/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:30pm
Mimi wrote:

The culture is improving here, but, yeah, it's still that "get over it" and "you're making my life tough with your whining." My dad was especially like that—people with mental health issues or addictions were just weak-willed. They couldn't "handle" life. And as much progress as I've made with understanding that that's completely false, when I'm going thru a bad period, that shit comes back, asserting itself as true.
Yeah I didn't want to seem to give creedence to the idea that depression is because you do t really have it hard enough. It's just a struggle I have if I try to discuss this with my wife. And not having someone else to talk to it that doesn't have a somewhat vested interest can cause you to question yourself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Yeah I didn't want to seem to give creedence to the idea that depression is because you do t really have it hard enough. It's just a struggle I have if I try to discuss this with my wife. And not having someone else to talk to it that doesn't have a somewhat vested interest can cause you to question yourself.
And, as I've said, one of the most sinister aspects of it all is the tendency to question yourself, to tell yourself you're faking it or could just get better if you wanted to. Hell, at my worst moments, when I could barely get out of bed, I'd tell myself I was faking this because I just didn't want to face up to reality. It's diabolical how it works. Which is why my friend's advice—just let yourself be fucked up—was so valuable. Kind of just letting go was that first step to getting out of the trap. It's why I readily acknowledge that I'm fucked up. Partly because I'm not much of a liar—less that I'm a virtuous person than fearful of getting caught or having to build more and more lies to avoid being caught (too much work)—but also a reminder to myself not to feed that beast.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I'm sorry you have to go through that. Not being validated sucks balls.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:50am
revbob wrote:
Yeah I didn't want to seem to give creedence to the idea that depression is because you dont really have it hard enough. It's just a struggle I have if I try to discuss this with my wife. And not having someone else to talk to it that doesn't have a somewhat vested interest can cause you to question yourself.
I'm sorry you have to go through that. Not being validated sucks balls.
Thanks. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about my wife because I'm not. I am grateful I do have good peeps here I can chat with though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'v got an electrical mystery for y'all. My office has one of those track lighting rods on the ceiling, with slots for six bulbs (the kind with flat surface, two pins as connectors). It's also got a four-setting dimmer switch (off, low, medium, high). The bulbs were halogen, which used a lot of juice, burned out easily, and ran really hot. I was out getting bulbs for something else when I saw LEDs for that kind, so I picked up a pack and started replacing the old ones. All was going well, taking out a halogen and replacing it with an LED one by one, until I got to the last one. Once I replaced that, the entire string lit up on low despite the switch being off. The only way I could get it back to the off setting was by putting back one halogen. My thinking is that it's dimmer related, but the dimmer function does work—the LEDs' intensity alters as the switch changes. I'm baffled why putting in all LEDs negates the off setting but one halogen restores it. Thoughts?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 5:52pm
I'v got an electrical mystery for y'all. My office has one of those track lighting rods on the ceiling, with slots for six bulbs (the kind with flat surface, two pins as connectors). It's also got a four-setting dimmer switch (off, low, medium, high). The bulbs were halogen, which used a lot of juice, burned out easily, and ran really hot. I was out getting bulbs for something else when I saw LEDs for that kind, so I picked up a pack and started replacing the old ones. All was going well, taking out a halogen and replacing it with an LED one by one, until I got to the last one. Once I replaced that, the entire string lit up on low despite the switch being off. The only way I could get it back to the off setting was by putting back one halogen. My thinking is that it's dimmer related, but the dimmer function does work—the LEDs' intensity alters as the switch changes. I'm baffled why putting in all LEDs negates the off setting but one halogen restores it. Thoughts?
Im not entirely sure I understand the situation. Can you turn the dimmer up all the way and bring allthe LEDs to full power? Are the LED bulbs you have "dimmable"? They aren't by default. In order to handle the variable current they would usually have some extra electronics in them. There are dimmer switches that are specifically designed to use with LED bulbs too. It sounds like even when "off" there is a trickle of current which is enough to power the LEDs. Putting the halogen in creates enough load that there's not enough power at the low setting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Im not entirely sure I understand the situation. Can you turn the dimmer up all the way and bring allthe LEDs to full power? Are the LED bulbs you have "dimmable"? They aren't by default. In order to handle the variable current they would usually have some extra electronics in them. There are dimmer switches that are specifically designed to use with LED bulbs too. It sounds like even when "off" there is a trickle of current which is enough to power the LEDs. Putting the halogen in creates enough load that there's not enough power at the low setting.
Yup, altering the dimmer settings increases or decreases the intensity of the LEDs. The switch would have been installed before LEDs were on the market (or at least common). Your point does make sense, that there is no real off, but only super low current that is enough for LEDs but not when there's a juice-hungry halogen in the string. Thanks!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 7:12pm
revbob wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yup, altering the dimmer settings increases or decreases the intensity of the LEDs. The switch would have been installed before LEDs were on the market (or at least common). Your point does make sense, that there is no real off, but only super low current that is enough for LEDs but not when there's a juice-hungry halogen in the string. Thanks!
I would suggest your track is installed with a power gain higher than the usual 230V to run all the previous halogens and as the LEDs don't require any more than the standard 230V the track is producing too much voltage and thus requires one of the Halogens to keep the voltage relevant.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia