Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:32pm
revbob wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:26pm
I have a background in electronics and computers. I stick to the safe stuff these days. I used work around/with high voltage. I've had some close calls and a few bites but always hated working with it live. I have a buddy who is an electrician I hire him for anything above changing a switch, outlet or fixture. He works live all the time, as I think most electricians do and it scares me.
When I do the simplest of wiring jobs in the house, breakers are being switched off, even if I know the switch is off and breaking the circuit. I am crazy paranoid when it comes to electricity. If I don't kill myself immediately, I figure I'll burn us up in the night. Again: the milkman's son.
I had to do an electrical safety class and part of it included a recording from a 911 call where a kid made the call while his dad was being electrocuted. It was really hard to listen to. So yeah I'll be the guy who shuts off the breaker too.
I couldn't listen to that. Way too painful for me. But regards this it's always safety first.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:37pm
I did choose a trade when I left school which is Wood Machinist which I took an apprenticeship in and passed with distinction. Trouble being where I live in the south of this blighted isle all the wood machining factories and workshops closed down fairly quickly when the big D.I.Y. merchants moved in and made things easier for people. Hence I became a postman then a security guard/supervisor which is the last refuge of the bluffer. I'm currently not working due to my health issues but as soon as I get my move sorted which is just over the horizon I will be looking to get myself back into some form of employment.
FIngers and toes crossed for you, bud. My dad loathed places like Home Depot because he saw them as taking food out of the mouths of tradesmen. He was right, of course, but that's neoliberalism for you. As much as I feel like less of a man when I hire pros to do various shit around the house, I try to remember my dad's argument.
Thanks mate it's appreciated. Yeah I get your dad's frustration at places like Home depot etc. Food out of the mouths of tradesman but food in the belly's of shelf stackers etc. I still have mixed feelings.
Capitalism makes us all traitors to each other.
Truth.

Just before xmas my emersion heater fails the thermostat is knackered and the wiring has burnt out. Fuck! I think no hot water. I'll call a plumber who wants £60.00 call out charge then more for parts and labour. Sod let's do it myself so a quick trip to my local B&Q DIY merchants and the replacement thermostat is £15.00 then a quick search on Google and bingo I think I can do this. So I isolated all the power replaced the thermostat in the emersion tank (lucky I have the tools here) then I replace all the wiring an hour later and I'm done. Put the power back on and wait to see if the water heats up at first nothing so I'm thinking damn what a disappointment. Then half an or so later my ex partner whom I share the house with says hey genius you fixed the water. I sit there feeling all smug and say well this genius is thirsty put the kettle on.
:lol: Those little moments of redemption. I got a wifi thermostat a couple years ago—fuck you if you think I should have to stand up and walk eight feet to change the heat!—and figured I could install it myself. Ha bloody ha ha ha. There were so many goddamned extras wires involved. So I had to call a furnace guy. My embarrassment was curbed a little by the fact that he had a hard time getting things set up. Moral of the story: milkman's son.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I have a background in electronics and computers. I stick to the safe stuff these days. I used work around/with high voltage. I've had some close calls and a few bites but always hated working with it live. I have a buddy who is an electrician I hire him for anything above changing a switch, outlet or fixture. He works live all the time, as I think most electricians do and it scares me.
When I do the simplest of wiring jobs in the house, breakers are being switched off, even if I know the switch is off and breaking the circuit. I am crazy paranoid when it comes to electricity. If I don't kill myself immediately, I figure I'll burn us up in the night. Again: the milkman's son.
I had to do an electrical safety class and part of it included a recording from a 911 call where a kid made the call while his dad was being electrocuted. It was really hard to listen to. So yeah I'll be the guy who shuts off the breaker too.
My fucking god. So, trained electricians have been traumatized?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:25pm
:lol:

I had to make a promise to my mum never to be an electrician or someone who works with electricity. Due to my dad being electrocuted. Maybe I could've turned out better. :disshame:
Oh crap. :sad: I remember so many of my friends in university who mocked those from high school who went to a trade school. It wasn't for me, but even back then I thought those guys were choosing the more solid career path. No such thing as an unemployed plumber or electrician.
I did choose a trade when I left school which is Wood Machinist which I took an apprenticeship in and passed with distinction. Trouble being where I live in the south of this blighted isle all the wood machining factories and workshops closed down fairly quickly when the big D.I.Y. merchants moved in and made things easier for people. Hence I became a postman then a security guard/supervisor which is the last refuge of the bluffer. I'm currently not working due to my health issues but as soon as I get my move sorted which is just over the horizon I will be looking to get myself back into some form of employment.
You moving far Marky or staying in the Royal County?
I will be going to Cornwall initially to stay with my mum and step-dad. If I can find a property cheap enough once Brexit has been sorted ( :rolleyes: ) I'll stay there. If not I may look to go northwards where property is way cheaper and everyone listens to KISS 24/7.
Nice part of the world mate I could live there.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:50pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I couldn't listen to that. Way too painful for me. But regards this it's always safety first.
Yeah I can't imagine. Like I said I hadn't experienced anything like that yet I found it extremely difficult to listen to, it was a while ago and I think I was close to tears just hearing it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:30pm

Oh crap. :sad: I remember so many of my friends in university who mocked those from high school who went to a trade school. It wasn't for me, but even back then I thought those guys were choosing the more solid career path. No such thing as an unemployed plumber or electrician.
I will be going to Cornwall initially to stay with my mum and step-dad. If I can find a property cheap enough once Brexit has been sorted ( :rolleyes: ) I'll stay there. If not I may look to go northwards where property is way cheaper and everyone listens to KISS 24/7.
The alternatives financially will be a flat or run down property in Cornwall or a three bed house in the north. I will have around £110-115,000 to spend once my sale here is complete. Around £80-110,000 for a flat in Cornwal and around £50-70, 000 for the three bed north somewhere.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The alternatives financially will be a flat or run down property in Cornwall or a three bed house in the north. I will have around £110-115,000 to spend once my sale here is complete. Around £80-110,000 for a flat in Cornwal and around £50-70, 000 for the three bed north somewhere.
Cornwall prices driven up by Londoners buying weekend properties to use once a year unfortunately.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Cornwall prices driven up by Londoners buying weekend properties to use once a year unfortunately.
This appears to be true to some degree. But I think after Brexit prices will drop and I'll be at my mum's for around 6 months at least so who knows. Either way it can only be better than my current situation.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:11pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

This appears to be true to some degree. But I think after Brexit prices will drop and I'll be at my mum's for around 6 months at least so who knows. Either way it can only be better than my current situation.
You would have done alright in Reading though.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

No chance here the property prices are ridiculous.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:23pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That's what I meant, sorry I thought you had just sold in Reading.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:23pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

That's what I meant, sorry I thought you had just sold in Reading.
Yep I have just sold in Reading just waiting on solicitors etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

We got mice in the house since a the binmen went on strike and the devious little fuckers have been outsmarting me like I was a cartoon cat, foiling my attempts to either capture or kill them.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 4:06pm
We got mice in the house since a the binmen went on strike and the devious little fuckers have been outsmarting me like I was a cartoon cat, foiling my attempts to either capture or kill them.
Consult this:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 4:06pm
Peanut butter on a mouse trap! If you use cheese that will half inch it and have it away on their toes!! They can’t resust peanut butter.