The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Since "Telephone and Rubber Bands" popped in my head a couple days ago (see above), I've been digging back into Penguin Cafe Orchestra. "Perpetuum Mobile" has been so over-used in commercials and movie soundtracks that it's easy to forget what a joyous, uplifting piece it is.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 6:24pm
Since "Telephone and Rubber Bands" popped in my head a couple days ago (see above), I've been digging back into Penguin Cafe Orchestra. "Perpetuum Mobile" has been so over-used in commercials and movie soundtracks that it's easy to forget what a joyous, uplifting piece it is.
Simon Jeffes (Penguin Cafe Orchestra) was the guy responsible for the string arrangement of Sid's My Way.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 6:24pm
Simon Jeffes (Penguin Cafe Orchestra) was the guy responsible for the string arrangement of Sid's My Way.
Indeed, I knew that. I suspect that was what made me seek him/them out in the first place years and years ago (either that or hunting down who did the closing theme for Talk Radio).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Suzi Quatro's career should have ended at this precise moment …

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 2:40pm

To be fair Happy Days probably should have ended way before that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 4:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The first two seasons were okay. But it jumped the shark several seasons before it jumped the shark.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 5:08pm
revbob wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 4:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The first two seasons were okay. But it jumped the shark several seasons before it jumped the shark.
I certainly remember watching it as a dumb kid. Cant recall for how long. I remember some girl raving about Chaci one day and I was lik e what the hell are you talking about. So I stopped well before there was a Chaci. Honestly I cant imagine how i would have seen any as my dad as I've mentioned had sole control of the tv.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I loved Happy Days until the end, even the episode with Spunkless Spunky in.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Never knew suzi quatro was in happy days. Given i had a mad crush on her it might have made me like the show more but i always thought it naff and unfunny. Phil Silvers was more my shit round that time.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

As I may have previously mentioned...we have a bronze statue of Fonzie in downtown Milwaukee. It's become quite the tourist landmark. Not a single shot was ever actually filmed in Milwaukee, however. Same for Laverne & Shirley.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Happy Days went awry when it abandoned its 1950s setting as something meaningful to the story. By season 3 or 4, yeah, it was late 50s or early 60s, but it was pretty incidental to just another family-and-friends sitcom.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 5:48pm
I loved Happy Days until the end, even the episode with Spunkless Spunky in.
Was essential viewing when I was st school but I’m suprised it kept going 1984. I wouldn’t have watched past 1982.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 7:01pm
As I may have previously mentioned...we have a bronze statue of Fonzie in downtown Milwaukee. It's become quite the tourist landmark. Not a single shot was ever actually filmed in Milwaukee, however. Same for Laverne & Shirley.
One of my happiest random moments after moving to Chicago was finding a statue of Bob Newhart near where I worked.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've become mildly obsessed with this song of late—rather this remix. The original is basically a lullaby, pleasant enough in an indie pop kind of way. But this remix adds some neat effects and spaces that suggest where it could be taken in all kinds of strange, even aggressive places, making it slightly psychedelic (well, dream pop). It's one of the rare moments where a remix noticeably transforms the entire atmosphere of the song.