Early Scottish Punk?

Online music exchange.
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Early Scottish Punk?

Post by dave202 »

I've been looking for years for copies of some early Scottish punk singles and albums. The Scrotem Poles from Dundee released a five track ep which I thought was great, and some of their material can be heard on You Tube, including scenes of an almost derelict Dundee. The Valves, from Edinburgh, had two releases on Zoom records, For Adolf's Only and Tarzan of the King's Road, and another on some other label. Another Pretty Face, TV21 and quite a few others were about at the same time.
Does anyone have copies of these singles? What about TV21's Thin Red Line album?
If the tracks could be made available by posting or if someone was willing to sell to me I'd be most obliged.

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Re: Early Scottish Punk?

Post by rcs »

If you don't hate the Clash, you don't love them enough - Olaf

wmhp2

Post by wmhp2 »

I have two copies of the valves single...For adolfs only.

1st one is a bit tatty and well used...you can have it for nothing PM me. I picked up a really nice copy at a boot sale some years ago that is fully signed by the band( I think...have no way of Knowing)...I'll hang on to that one.

wmhp2

Post by wmhp2 »

On the same topic, a local band Crimedesk had a single out around '80 but ive only ever seen one copy and never heard what it sounded like. Anybody help with that one?

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

crimedesk is listed in this VA comp

http://jimmybuttons.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... tland.html
If you don't hate the Clash, you don't love them enough - Olaf

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

dave202 wrote:I've been looking for years for copies of some early Scottish punk singles and albums. The Scrotem Poles from Dundee released a five track ep which I thought was great, and some of their material can be heard on You Tube, including scenes of an almost derelict Dundee. The Valves, from Edinburgh, had two releases on Zoom records, For Adolf's Only and Tarzan of the King's Road, and another on some other label. Another Pretty Face, TV21 and quite a few others were about at the same time.
Does anyone have copies of these singles? What about TV21's Thin Red Line album?
If the tracks could be made available by posting or if someone was willing to sell to me I'd be most obliged.
That name almost made me spit coffee.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

mretrain
Corner Soul

Post by mretrain »

dave202 wrote:I've been looking for years for copies of some early Scottish punk singles and albums. The Scrotem Poles from Dundee released a five track ep which I thought was great, and some of their material can be heard on You Tube, including scenes of an almost derelict Dundee. The Valves, from Edinburgh, had two releases on Zoom records, For Adolf's Only and Tarzan of the King's Road, and another on some other label. Another Pretty Face, TV21 and quite a few others were about at the same time.
The CD Messthetics 105 is exactly what you need, Scrotum Poles & all...

http://www.normanrecords.com/records/96484

Modesty forbids reccomending Vertical Smiles' "New Clash Single" on the same CD...

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Thanks WMHP. How do I contact you?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:Thanks WMHP. How do I contact you?
Click on the small pm icon under his username.

Yeah ok he doesn't have one. :meh:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NPW
Corner Soul

Post by NPW »

http://scroungingciderhiddenflagon.blog ... chive.html

This might be what yer looking 4, just scroll down. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink say no more.

wmhp
Junco Partner

Post by wmhp »

dave202 wrote:Thanks WMHP. How do I contact you?
im logged in now...do what Marky d said.

or you could have clicked on the wee members button top fright hand corner.

tommy1962
Dirty Punk

Post by tommy1962 »

Anyone know if the great,Rezillos,evolved from the rez band?I once had a pair of drumsticks from rez band drummer!!Also the Zones drummer Kenny Hyslop was in a band with my brother in the late 60s early 70s,before the Zones he found POP!stardom with slik.Wot happened to them,apert from Mr Ure the others went into obscurity.Also a band called The Strike early 80s Inverness and The Tools(Aberdeen,i think!)TNT(Glasgow!)This post brought back some good memories.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Between Slik and Zones, Kenny Hyslop and the boys had a single out on Bruce's Zoom label as PVC2. Last I heard of Kenny was early '80s with Set The Tone.
Anyone have links to this band? What about the Zones album? It's been so long, I can't remember what the Zones were like, although I saw them support Skids at Dundee University in 1978. What other Scottish punk bands were there? The Jolt? Johnny & The Self Abusers? I remember the shock of "Jerkin'" by the Drive fae Dundee, but that wasn't punk, that was middle aged bandwagon jumping hadn't beens from the local scene who thought a poor ditty about masturbation would be a good one. Not one of their better strokes of genius.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

dave202 wrote: a poor ditty about masturbation would be a good one. Not one of their better strokes of genius.
:shifty:

I think I see what you did there.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

wmhp2

Post by wmhp2 »

The Jolt..'no excuses' was ace
BEE CEE CEE...edinburgh band
The Fakes..i have their depressing single. sang in Scottish accent bit dirge like. John Peel liked it?
The Prats..dunno where they came from but did sing Inverness.What a Mess. so that might be a clue
Red Letters...a bit like the Skids if i remember
The Patrol..Country fit for heroes vol.2...Still going today, check youtube
The Subs.. recorded on Stiff records
Skin Deep...Falkirk supporters by the look of their single Football violence
Alternative..Crass recording stars from fife
Later there were others - Discharge XS, Scroteez, Oi polloi,Threats, Actives, Drongos.

Sorry bout the delay in getting that single to you...wont be long though.