Post by halaldub »

big up to all you good people there!

the clash - 1982-08-19 - carnegie melon gall pittsburgh PA

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=25C0I3OA

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: the clash - 1982-08-19 - carnegie melon gall pittsburgh PA

Post by matedog »

Eh? This isn't listed on BMC. What is the story?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

wmhp2

Post by wmhp2 »

*1982-08-18 Pittsburgh PA
trks 1-16
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GFS52NNK
trks 17-24
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MUSQBBDS

Its this gig above, posted on the megalist.
I actually was given this disc by a friend with artwork done by someone on this board. Thought id found a new gig till i realised it was just that one. Think its really PA stanly theatre.

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

I DLed this boot a long while ago (off the Megalist I think) with the same incorrect spelling (it should be Carnegie Mellon Hall), so it's been out there for awhile. Don't know if they mean the current-day Mellon Arena, which seems like a pretty big venue for the Clash to play, unless they were opening for the Who or something.

Thanks for reuploading it though!
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

wmhp2

Post by wmhp2 »

Still216 wrote:I DLed this boot a long while ago (off the Megalist I think) with the same incorrect spelling (it should be Carnegie Mellon Hall), so it's been out there for awhile. Don't know if they mean the current-day Mellon Arena, which seems like a pretty big venue for the Clash to play, unless they were opening for the Who or something.

Thanks for reuploading it though!

I know what youre saying, and ill try not to confuse matters. The clash played Carnegie mellon hall on aug 19. THERE IS NO KNOWN RECORDING OF THIS. I thought i had been given one, but its actually Stanley theatre from the 18th, with misinformation on the cover art. This is the gig that has been uploaded here.

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

wmhp2 wrote: I know what youre saying, and ill try not to confuse matters. The clash played Carnegie mellon hall on aug 19. THERE IS NO KNOWN RECORDING OF THIS. I thought i had been given one, but its actually Stanley theatre from the 18th, with misinformation on the cover art. This is the gig that has been uploaded here.
Oh, I got it now. Thanks for clarifying.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Post by Guest »

Big Up!

I found this one on the slsk network while ago, from one clash trader, and as matedog said, it is not listed on the BMC, so i thought it would be interesting to post it here and share it with you all.

@wmhp2: I don't think that this recording (allegedly from 08-19) is the same like 1982-08-18 Pittsburgh PA you mentioned. i have that one too in my collection and mine is the same recording as the one on the Megalist. I made a comparison of the 08-18 recording with this one, and found out that the track selection of the alleged 08-19 show is different to 08-18 recording, and the sound quality is of inferior quality to 08-18.

regarding the alleged 08-19 recording, version of london calling is cut, there is a reprise version of the magnificent seven, and there are some songs (like stay free, spanish bombs, janie jones, english civil war, police and thieves, tommy gun, london's burning) that are not on the 08-18 recording.

those are the differences i found out between those two recordings. I don't know whether the show i uploaded here is really the one from 08-19, as the trader i got it from said, of it might be different version of the recording from 08-18, with misinformation on the cover.

I'm just a clash fan (and the huge one :), not an expert on the issue, but i thought it would be interesting to post alleged 08-19 show recording here, especially since this show is not listed on BMC, so the members of this forum can give they say.

@still216: thx for correct spelling!

cheers!

wmhp2

Post by wmhp2 »

No problems halaldub. Thanks for contributing, im really glad you uploaded this. I think youre right about it being slightly better quality - but it is exactly the same. Im certainly no expert either, just thought id reply to Matedogs question.

'regarding the alleged 08-19 recording, version of london calling is cut, there is a reprise version of the magnificent seven, and there are some songs (like stay free, spanish bombs, janie jones, english civil war, police and thieves, tommy gun, london's burning) that are not on the 08-18 recording.'

Both recordings have London calling cut and the tracks you mentioned ARE on the Stanley theatre one, at least they are on mine. go to BMC, check the playlist for the gig. or even better just listen to joe speaking at the start of both sets. They are identical.

Was it me you got it from on soulseek?

wmhp2

Post by wmhp2 »

Scratch all of the above...Im an idiot. I should check things out before trying to write from memory. Please forgive the above ramblings, heres the correct version. I promise.

The gig is mislabled BUT its not from Stanley Theatre.
The gig IS from Carnagie Mellon BUT it is not the August one.
It is in fact ....Saturday October the 16th ...when they played there again.

Sorry for the confusion...hope this makes sense to innocent bystanders.

WMHP

halaldub
Dirty Punk

Post by halaldub »

thanks wmhp2!

it happened just what I was was looking for, because i was really confused with this recording, so I'm glad it is sorted out now. i corrected the date of the show in my clash folder now, in order not to make any further confusions since i still have it on slsk.

who knows, it might be that i downloaded this one from you, but you probably had (or still have) different nick on slsk then the one you uses here (i do have another one there).

cheers!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Thanks for clarifying. I will not add to the megalist.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.