Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: PiL Stuff?

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: No, Sigue Sigue Sputnik were the heirs to the Sex Pistols—the up-front scam. The Spice Girls were Motown girl group redux.
So were the Sex Pistols...just without the motown sound or the uteruses.
Yup, tho the open greed was different—where the branch forks off.
Maybe it's a perception difference, but the open greed is apparent to me in both.
Were girl groups promoted with a manifesto that it's all about the money? That's not what the fans thought it was about. The Pistols and SSS flaunted the idea that the music was secondary to raping the music industry. The Spice Girls were back to that slyer (is that spelled right? Doesn't look right), "Of course it's about the money, dear" with a wink, "but we'll say it's about empowerment."
I grant you that. I suppose really it's a matter of degree.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really
really really wanna zigazig ha.

Down down down down and Ill take you down on the underground
Down in the dark and down in the crypt
Down in the dark where the typewriter fit
Down with your pen and pad ready to kill to make me ill
Down wanna be someone wanna be someone
Make it as someone you wanna be me ruin me
A typewriter God a black and white king
Pvc blackboard books black and white
I wanna be me

Some chance.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Frippstopher

Post by Frippstopher »

I just wanted to add that even though Levene said he was influenced by Steve Howe, you can hear pretty much every lick he ever played in Easy Money by King Crimson.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Frippstopher wrote:I just wanted to add that even though Levene said he was influenced by Steve Howe, you can hear pretty much every lick he ever played in Easy Money by King Crimson.
So are you saying he was influenced by Robert Fripp?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

lufcbrain
Corner Soul

Post by lufcbrain »

Anyone want to trade any pil shows?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Public Image...you got what you wanted.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Seems a few weeks ago there was a radio broadcast/podcast on the 30th anniversary of Metal Box that included playing the album in its entirety (from original vinyl, no less) plus interviews with Wobble, Dudanski, and Atkins. Haven't listened to it yet, so no comment from me as to whether its worthwhile. I've downloaded it for the future, tho.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Seems a few weeks ago there was a radio broadcast/podcast on the 30th anniversary of Metal Box that included playing the album in its entirety (from original vinyl, no less) plus interviews with Wobble, Dudanski, and Atkins. Haven't listened to it yet, so no comment from me as to whether its worthwhile. I've downloaded it for the future, tho.
Cheers for the heads up on this one Dr. M will check it out when I finish work. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Seems a few weeks ago there was a radio broadcast/podcast on the 30th anniversary of Metal Box that included playing the album in its entirety (from original vinyl, no less) plus interviews with Wobble, Dudanski, and Atkins. Haven't listened to it yet, so no comment from me as to whether its worthwhile. I've downloaded it for the future, tho.
Cheers for the heads up on this one Dr. M will check it out when I finish work. :mrgreen:
I'm listening to it right now. Neat little factoid that I just learned/heard—the vinyl for side 2 of disc 1 ends with "Death Disco" (or "Swan Lake"), and the groove runs straight to the label, resulting in an endless skip. That kind of intentional glitch on such a hi-fidelity record is a decent gag.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I'm listening to it right now. Neat little factoid that I just learned/heard—the vinyl for side 2 of disc 1 ends with "Death Disco" (or "Swan Lake"), and the groove runs straight to the label, resulting in an endless skip. That kind of intentional glitch on such a hi-fidelity record is a decent gag.
Yeah I remember playing my copy and watched the needle being fucked by trying to play the label .Also on my copy part of the label (the yellow label) was torn away from it's correct position and was pressed into the grooves of the previous track most likely a Virgin pressing fuck up as there were many of those.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah I remember playing my copy and watched the needle being fucked by trying to play the label .Also on my copy part of the label (the yellow label) was torn away from it's correct position and was pressed into the grooves of the previous track most likely a Virgin pressing fuck up as there were many of those.
You have an original? I have a minor fetish to get one (I do have the Metal Box cd in the simulated can). My understanding is that it was very difficult to remove the vinyl from the canister because it was such a tight fit—anything to that in your experience?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Yeah they were packed in so bloody tight that you had to damage the thing to get it out. You would be hard pushed to find one in anything resembling good condition unless unplayed. The cannister / tin will be oxidised. 4 Men with beards did a nice reissue a couple of years back my best advice would be for you to source one of those.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:Yeah they were packed in so bloody tight that you had to damage the thing to get it out. You would be hard pushed to find one in anything resembling good condition unless unplayed. The cannister / tin will be oxidised. 4 Men with beards did a nice reissue a couple of years back my best advice would be for you to source one of those.
I was working in a record shop when it came out and as the lowly rack stacker I cursed the can.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:Yeah they were packed in so bloody tight that you had to damage the thing to get it out. You would be hard pushed to find one in anything resembling good condition unless unplayed. The cannister / tin will be oxidised. 4 Men with beards did a nice reissue a couple of years back my best advice would be for you to source one of those.
JennyB has a story about the unhip nature of the reissue …

Given that I don't even have a turntable anymore, getting a copy—original or reissue—would be a total fetish art object.
101Walterton wrote:I was working in a record shop when it came out and as the lowly rack stacker I cursed the can.
I had the same attitude toward the cd can—damn thing kept rolling off the shelf if there were any free space. Lyyyyyydonnnn!!!!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm envious of anyone who has worked at a record store that would actually have had the kind of consumer base to stock some PiL.

It's all I can do to keep Ramones, NoFX, Dead Kennedys and The Clash on the shelves. Take up room that could be used for Grateful Dead albums, ya know?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!