The Boots Galore remarks thread.

Online music exchange.
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Boots Galore remarks thread.

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

It was probably Barbara Skydell and Frank Barcelona rom Premier Talent Booking who steered those tours to the tertiary markets. SOP really when a big band has toured the same record that many times.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

white man wrote:
Inder wrote:Liverpool 81: I got to track 19 (Stay Free) and figure it must be near the end of the show — there're 31 songs in the set!

* God, LC sounds so much cooler when it's in the middle of the set.
* Amazing Radio Clash. Tops is really grooving.
* Who the hell is playing harmonica in Ghetto Defendant? Paul? This rules.
* Mick makes a crack about the next one being sentimental and the band goes into a great mid-tempo Stay Free. MJ's tone sounds fantastic here (and throughout this show, actually).
I've d/loaded the lossless version on the megalist and LC is corrupt :cry:
Here you are: http://hitdaddy.com/clashpool14.flac

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

San Antonio '83 is the closest STH ever came to sounding like the album version. Something about Mick's FX that night and the more-spare (but pretty inventive) leads really clicked.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Patting myself on the back, but I love seeing the megalist in hard drive form:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:Patting myself on the back, but I love seeing the megalist in hard drive form:
Tasty.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

In the excellent audience recording of the 1979-12-27 Kampuchea Benefit show, in the last 30 seconds of "Armagideon Time" after Joe says "by the by the by the light!", Mickey continues his organ chords and then plays Mick's guitar line on the piano on top of it. I've never heard him play it before. Interestingly, in the video of the same performance, the organ is audible, but the keyboard is not (at 3:46):
[youtube][/youtube]
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

I would characterize Radio Clash from Brixton 7/30/82 as the manliest guitar sound Mick ever wrung.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:I would characterize Radio Clash from Brixton 7/30/82 as the manliest guitar sound Mick ever wrung.
"SEE, DAD? I'M NOT SOME WIMPY HOMO MUSICIAN!"
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wolter wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:I would characterize Radio Clash from Brixton 7/30/82 as the manliest guitar sound Mick ever wrung.
If they were smart they would've secretly put Thomas Jones on the payroll and have him stand silently in the audience most shows with his hand on his chin, occasionally nodding approvingly at the stage. More fire in the belly and illegal fireworks stuffed in the Gibson with dear old Dad in the audience this show than pretty much any other that whole year. Between the chest-hairy guitar and Joe's hyper-amplified vox echo on the SBD I don't even notice that Terry sounds like he's boredly dribbling a basketball the whole set.

The special 'pass-the-mic' version of Bankrobber/Rockers Galore with Mikey's also a one-of-kind highlight.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dammit, I can never find that bizarre photo of the band where Joe looks like a stroke victim bankrobber and Mick a drum major.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

The "Police and Thieves" from the 1988, August 11th Coasters, Edinburgh, Scotland LWR gig is really good. When the audience sing the parts when the music stops it just sounds like magic. "Straight to Hell" from the same gig is also really good.

matedog

Post by matedog »

The 1980-03-07 Palladium version of WMHP has to be the definitive version. Joe's vocals are absolutely searing. There is that Lifetimes video that has a small bit of it, but I can't find it on the 'tube now.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

from the NME:
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (287.49 KiB) Viewed 9480 times

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:from the NME:
Picture 1.png

Once again,the NME clearcuts those pesky trees for a better forest view.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Holy shit, the One Gig Too Far series rules.