NME Tape Comps from the 80s

Online music exchange.
WeeCat
Corner Soul

NME Tape Comps from the 80s

Post by WeeCat »

Get 'em here.

http://pressplayandrecord.wordpress.com/

Apologies if this is old news, but I'm fucking psyched. So much goodness.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: NME Tape Comps from the 80s

Post by dave202 »

Many thanks. There's a few here I have never heard of, and a couple rotting away in a box. Can't wait to play them again.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I didn't know NME gave away free cassettes back in the 80's. All the music mags that I read in the USA didn't do this.
Some of those cassettes would've been great to have back then.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

The cassettes weren't free, six vouchers and a couple of quid and they were yours. The releases mostly came in pairs, each six months I think. One would be a compilation of contemporary acts with mostly exclusive tracks, and the other would be thematic. 'All African Radio', 'Bushfire' and 'Smile Jamaica' being personal favourites. The first speaks for itself, the second celebrated 10 years of Greensleeves reggae releases in the UK whilst the last had a track a year from the Island label to mark 21 years of Jamaican independence.

There were a couple re-issued on cd at one time, 'Pogo A Go-Go' and 'Ace Case' which I bought and still have somewhere (I think) but that programme never lasted. There are other sites with the earlier releases so look around.

WeeCat
Corner Soul

Post by WeeCat »

I never had the originals, being in the states and broke in the 80s. Just badly dubbed copies, so right now I love the internet. Glad you all enjoyed.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

dave202 wrote:The cassettes weren't free, six vouchers and a couple of quid and they were yours. The releases mostly came in pairs, each six months I think. One would be a compilation of contemporary acts with mostly exclusive tracks, and the other would be thematic. 'All African Radio', 'Bushfire' and 'Smile Jamaica' being personal favourites. The first speaks for itself, the second celebrated 10 years of Greensleeves reggae releases in the UK whilst the last had a track a year from the Island label to mark 21 years of Jamaican independence.

There were a couple re-issued on cd at one time, 'Pogo A Go-Go' and 'Ace Case' which I bought and still have somewhere (I think) but that programme never lasted. There are other sites with the earlier releases so look around.
They did do some tapes free with the magazine, if I remember correctly.

I've got Pogo A Go Go but sadly only on tape, not CD.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
dave202 wrote:The cassettes weren't free, six vouchers and a couple of quid and they were yours. The releases mostly came in pairs, each six months I think. One would be a compilation of contemporary acts with mostly exclusive tracks, and the other would be thematic. 'All African Radio', 'Bushfire' and 'Smile Jamaica' being personal favourites. The first speaks for itself, the second celebrated 10 years of Greensleeves reggae releases in the UK whilst the last had a track a year from the Island label to mark 21 years of Jamaican independence.

They did do some tapes free with the magazine, if I remember correctly.

I've got Pogo A Go Go but sadly only on tape, not CD.
The magazine version of the NME was not until the 90's tho'.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

I stopped reading the NME when it went to a mag version, it wasn't the same writers, coverage or content. In the 70s & 80s it was almost like a 'style Bible' to me in music terms. Sounds was ok, and John Peel did a column there. Melody Maker was in a lesser light, although their 'musicians wanted' seemed to do the trick for many. Record Mirror was a lightweight by comparison, although worth a look. It had a J Edgar Oliver (I think) strip in the inside-back page that was brilliant.

I used to buy all four and pour through every last page word by word until my fingers were covered in the cheap ink that they used. The mag never had that effect.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

NME totally sucks now. Radiohead and Liam & Noel Gallagher hype wankers.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chuck Mangione wrote:NME totally sucks now. Radiohead and Liam & Noel Gallagher hype wankers.
This.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

The NME for me in the late 80's early 90's was like a music bible , I would read every page from start to finish it had much better writers and every time an album got a rating of 9/10 I would buy it. Totally agree when it changed to the magazine format it just wasn't the same.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dirty Harry wrote:The NME for me in the late 80's early 90's was like a music bible , I would read every page from start to finish it had much better writers and every time an album got a rating of 9/10 I would buy it. Totally agree when it changed to the magazine format it just wasn't the same.
I felt the same about the NME from 77-87 after that I stuck with the Beano.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky, being from Dundee I grew up with the Beano and Dandy, as well as many other D.C. Thomson comics and newspapers (loose term), and know a few of the journalists and artists.

A surreal moment was standing at the bar of the Phoenix a few years ago, around this time of year, when I heard two girls behind me as the approached. "Right,you get the Beano's and I'll get the Dandy's" was the word. Only in Dundee could that have signalled the Christmas piss-up for the best cartoon drawers and writers in the country.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:Marky, being from Dundee I grew up with the Beano and Dandy, as well as many other D.C. Thomson comics and newspapers (loose term), and know a few of the journalists and artists.

A surreal moment was standing at the bar of the Phoenix a few years ago, around this time of year, when I heard two girls behind me as the approached. "Right,you get the Beano's and I'll get the Dandy's" was the word. Only in Dundee could that have signalled the Christmas piss-up for the best cartoon drawers and writers in the country.
Ha good story mate. I used to love reading them and Oor Wullie. Also the Whizzer and Chips.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia