Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Megaupload shut down

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Megaupload shut down

Post by Heston »

:( :( :( :(
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Oh boy, I got some work to do...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That *just* happened then, because I dl'd Shibuya Kohkaido this morning.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

So what site should we use instead? Or is there another method of making these available?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Noise Inspector
Junco Partner

Post by Noise Inspector »

Wow. This seriously affects my browsing and downloading habits. There goes the vast majority of my free TV shows (megavideo).

Over the past two weeks the news has been pretty full of internet-related stories. Seems like this year is gonna be a big year for determining the future of the 'net.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:So what site should we use instead? Or is there another method of making these available?
Well, we could migrate to zShare or something.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:So what site should we use instead? Or is there another method of making these available?
I think I might just upload lossless cause I'm lazy and we can provide mp3 per request.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Is there a service that automatically mirrors on multiple file lockers? Just curious whether others who mirror have made the effort to upload to multiple sites or there's something that'll do the work for them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
I think I might just upload lossless cause I'm lazy and we can provide mp3 per request.
Whatever's easiest for you would be brilliant.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Yikes. MU probably is an international piracy syndicate. It seems to have grown a little shadier than some of the other ones of late, based on the ever-sketchier ads the rare times I used it on a non-Adblock browser. Hell, they even signed up celebrity sponsors to shill for it. This is a real shitshow on the fallout. And it fucks over everyone who relied on it for legit uses. Nevermind the Megalist, which operated on strictly Dime-like liberated boot terms. But I use it periodically for work in a pinch when having to move manuscript files around too big to fit in e-mail where my clients have no FTP site. If I still had anything on there for a project in-progress I would be mighty pissed right now.

I've got everything on the list except some inferior sources I tossed (generally on my hard drive I just fold in any missing/cut tracks in a best-source setlist with the inferior tracks and tag them "[alt source]". I re-did all ID tags and corrected any spelling mistakes. Probably would be a good thing to re-audit what I've got. I can pitch in if we find some less ham-fisted way of doing it than MU. That was never a particularly fast site for uploads.

Torrent tracker, torrent magnet links, or something else living in the cloud would be nicer. Both for the faster uploads and protecting against single-source failures like the upload site going belly-up. But I have no idea how to string together distribution of that ad hoc without a host site.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Four people have been arrested in New Zealand as part of an FBI-led crackdown on online piracy.

The four are among seven people facing online piracy charges in the United States, after an FBI investigation resulted in one of the world's largest file-sharing websites, www.megaupload.com, being shut down on Friday morning (NZT).

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom (also known as Kim Schmitz), a 37-year-old German national and New Zealand resident, was arrested by New Zealand police in Auckland on Friday morning, the US Department of Justice said in a statement.

Also arrested were the website's chief marketing officer Finn Batato, 38, and chief technical officer and co-founder Mathias Ortmann, 40, both from Germany, and Dutch national Bram van der Kolk, 29, who is also a New Zealand resident.

Police executed provisional arrest warrants at the United States' request, and other agencies - including the Organised and Financial Crime Agency, Crown Law and the Office of the Solicitor General provided "substantial and critical assistance", the statement says.

The four face charges of engaging in a racketeering conspiracy, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering and criminal copyright infringement.

The charges carry up to 20 years' imprisonment.

Three more people were wanted in connection with the alleged offending.

Two corporations, Megaupload Limited and Vestor Limited, are also included in the indictment, filed in Virginia in the US on January 5.

More than 20 search warrants were executed in the US and eight other countries.

Officials seized about $50 million in assets as well as 18 domain names associated with Megaupload.

Papers filed in the Virginia court allege the group conducted an illegal operation "using a business model expressly designed to promote uploading of the most popular copyrighted works for many millions of users to download".

They also allegedly offered a rewards programme that provided users with financial incentives to upload popular content and drive web traffic to the site.

New Zealand police were to comment on the case later on Friday.

Safer communities working together.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Fuck

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

You could only blow on the pie if you paid for their shitty premium service. It went thermonuclear.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently Kim Dotcom's a prolific conman.

Mediafire's generally quite good, not sure what their size restrictions are.