Clash MK II - Best Boots (and a new Appreciation!)

Online music exchange.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Clash MK II - Best Boots (and a new Appreciation!)

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:The real Clash never happened.
I wonder what would have happened if the Clash II had burst onto the scene with no Clash before them. Probably laughed out of town in 1984.
Almost certainly. Having the name and legacy gave them a hearing they otherwise never would have gotten. The material just wasn't that good.
Would they have been better or worse than The Exploited (note - Flex isn't allowed to chime in on this one)?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:The real Clash never happened.
I wonder what would have happened if the Clash II had burst onto the scene with no Clash before them. Probably laughed out of town in 1984.
Almost certainly. Having the name and legacy gave them a hearing they otherwise never would have gotten. The material just wasn't that good.
Would they have been better or worse than The Exploited (note - Flex isn't allowed to chime in on this one)?
Different genres, so better or worse depends on your genre preference. I'd pick Clash II, tho I probably wouldn't be bothered if someone stole my Walkman.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Anything over the Exploited.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Anything over the Exploited.
This. Horrific music.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I'll even take Combat Rock over them.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And the new guy begins wondering what breed of dog created the shit he just stepped in …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:And the new guy begins wondering what breed of dog created the shit he just stepped in …
Welcome aboard!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
IrelandCalling wrote:Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

I'm not sure which one to go for next, matedog thanks for the word on San Francisco show, I might try that one if it has great sound

'Five Alive' from Stockholm seems to have a good rep also

I wish to hear stuff like 'Movers and Shakers' live, and 'Cool Under Heat' - I know there is a 'Out of Control' (CTC Revisited) different from the 14-track demos boot, which I think has all of the CTC songs live aswell as some demos.

Is there any video in existence of the Clash II?
I think Cool Under Heat was only played on the busking tour. There are some boots available, mostly of low quality.

Search YouTube for "Clash Roskilde" or "Paul Breakdancing" and you should be able to see some Clash II live footage.
:lol:

I posted Cool Under Heat for Heston awhile back:
[youtube][/youtube]

The busking shows are okay. There's absolutely zero dynamics or nuance in the arrangements, so it's hard to say they are any kind of improvement on the CTC versions. Less shitshowy, more boring. The only footage I've seen is the Roskilde boot (on youtube) which is pretty dreadful and snippets from Entertainment Tonight in early 84:
[youtube][/youtube]
Don't know about video, but I think the "An Acoustic Toon" EP from the Sunderland/Newcastle dates of the 1985 Busking Tour is the sweetest: Johnny Too Bad, Garageland, Police On My Back, and Pressure Drop.
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

IrelandCalling
Corner Soul

Post by IrelandCalling »

Dr. Medulla wrote:And the new guy begins wondering what breed of dog created the shit he just stepped in …
lol! Great stuff!

An entertaining bacth of replies, some very good recommendations though! Hartford..etc

I'll definitely check out the Roskilde footage

Listened to the "Out of Control" Demos again last night, and had on some tracks frm Brixton 7 December '84 - the songs did have quite a lot of promise; 'Dictator' is a great example. I love the version on the live bootlegs, and it sounds good too on the Demos; on the album it's absolutely bizarre! Unlistenable with some radio on in the background and mis-placed horn sections. Hard to hear the actual original song under all of that

'We are the Clash' - though I like the music, it's a bit cheesy, but, again, held promise; not radically diff on album compared to Live versions.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

IrelandCalling wrote:
lol! Great stuff!

An entertaining bacth of replies, some very good recommendations though! Hartford..etc

Listened to the "Out of Control" Demos again last night, and had on some tracks frm Brixton 7 December '84 - the songs did have quite a lot of promise; 'Dictator' is a great example. I love the version on the live bootlegs, and it sounds good too on the Demos; on the album it's absolutely bizarre! Unlistenable with some radio on in the background and mis-placed horn sections. Hard to hear the actual original song under all of that

'We are the Clash' - though I like the music, it's a bit cheesy, but, again, held promise; not radically diff on album compared to Live versions.
Side question - did you ever hear our Cut the Crap tribute album?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
IrelandCalling wrote:
lol! Great stuff!

C'mon Matey, the guy has just arrived, don't scare him off so soon.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

:lol:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
IrelandCalling wrote:
lol! Great stuff!

C'mon Matey, the guy has just arrived, don't scare him off so soon.
images/smilies/icon_lol.gif
I don't know how to put images in eh? Total gadgie.

IrelandCalling
Corner Soul

Post by IrelandCalling »

lol! Have never heard your 'Cut the Crap' tribute album matedog, but reading between the lines of the comment after it sounds like something that should...nay, MUST...be heard!

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Anything over the Exploited.
I agree on the music, but when they first appeared on TOTP I was absolutely gobsmacked and thought it was an incredible comedy stunt. A year or so later I met the 'singer' (was it Wattie?) and the guitarist, and they were alright, not quite what I had expected (and I know we shouldn't have preconceptions, but... I'm only human). The big boy on guitar went on to play with Nirvana on their last gigs, proving there was talent buried within.