Blow-Up free downloads

Online music exchange.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Blow-Up free downloads

Post by Marky Dread »

Grab yourself some really cool free music. Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies.

http://www.blowupband.com/Bootlegs/BootlegSeries.html

Enjoy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: Blow-Up free downloads

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Listenin' now.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Thanks Marky!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

This is a really fine band, their official studio stuff is all I know so far, but I'm looking forward to hearing/DLing these shows as soon as my lazy arsed nephew wakes up and helps clear my 'puter of some nasty virus. :mad:
Thank you Marky and TeddyB!
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

And another thing about Blow-Up: how the hell did they get gigs opening for both the Screaming Blue Messiahs and the Jim Carroll Band? That, to me, is like opening for the Clash and Stones, or maybe Lou Reed.
I guess great music gravitates towards other great music...

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Don't forget the Replacements too. That was a good show.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:And another thing about Blow-Up: how the hell did they get gigs opening for both the Screaming Blue Messiahs and the Jim Carroll Band? That, to me, is like opening for the Clash and Stones, or maybe Lou Reed.
Why were those guys not supporting Blow-Up would be my question. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

:cool:

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Don't forget the Replacements too. That was a good show.
Damn, you boys got around! :cool: When would that have been? '87? '89? '91?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:And another thing about Blow-Up: how the hell did they get gigs opening for both the Screaming Blue Messiahs and the Jim Carroll Band? That, to me, is like opening for the Clash and Stones, or maybe Lou Reed.
Why were those guys not supporting Blow-Up would be my question. ;)
The Messiahs and Carroll? Oh yeah, I can see that. Though both are personnel faves, neither was ever going to be huge record sellers or massive concert draws, whereas Blow-Up definitely had the catchy hooks and songwriting chops to be a semi-big breakthrough band in the mid '80s context, a couple big radio singles, in the then "college radio" vein (as it was called in the US) or maybe even a mainstream breakthrough.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

muppet hi fi wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Don't forget the Replacements too. That was a good show.
Damn, you boys got around! :cool: When would that have been? '87? '89? '91?
May 1st, 1986 at the Roxy Theatre. Tim Tour. One of Bob's last gigs. Bob came through the crowd just before they went on, asking people for coke. Tommy threw our vegetable plate out the window. Paul sat and chatted with me on the stairs and complimented one of our songs from the stage during their set. When Bob Forrest from Theolonius Monater, who opened the show, started to get 86'd for whatever transgressions by the guards after their set, Paul and I both rushed physically to his defense. He was an artist at this show, the guards had no standing to throw him out. Of course, this was long before he was professionally sober. Would Zander Schloss have been in his band then? Anyone? I remember seeing him with The Circle Jerks but I didn't get a chance to see Thelonious at this gig.

About Jim Carroll: I loved that first album and the attending gigs. After Bob Christgau had given the Easy Knowledge a very nice A- review, Mikal Gilmore raved all over it, comparing it (the singing and composing) and its "uncommon innate intelligence" favorably to David Johansen (c'mon, he's the best) and Elliott Murphy in their "come and go primes", and also to Jim Carroll in a "prime he's never had." When Christgau revised his review for his next book compilation, he kept the good stuff, but got territorial enough to add a little slap against L.A. Bands defending that they're "young" and that "Jim Carroll takes imagination." At the Palace gig, Jim had Lenny Kaye on guitar so it was doubly cool. Lenny was a blast to talk to.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Would Zander Schloss have been in his band then?
Don't think so, he was a Circle Jerk in 86, but Keith did his tax thing in the spring, so he could have been a "free agent"...
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Thanks. And to add to the thread, Blow-Up also did two sold out shows supporting Billy Idol at the Roxy. The band's repaired afterward to Steve Stevens' room at the Chateau, where the diminutive guitarist was grabbed by the singer of Blow-Up just as he was tumbling backwards through a second story window behind the bed that had closed curtains but was surprisingly open, as was possible in a hotel in those days. The involvement of the bed isn't as salacious as one might hope (or fear). There just wasn't room for everyone to drink without it. Billy didn't volunteer his presumably larger quarters.

The recording of the late show I believe is slated to be one of the Bootleg Series.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Picked up the Groovy Dynamite comp today great stuff! Spent all day being bugged by that reprise from "Reckless Hearts" 'til I sussed it was Bowie and realized I had completely lost my mind. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Thanks Marky. And glad we could wrap your head around. Lots of references with the samples. The Bowie piano. The Fatboy Slim breakbeat MJ used on Ally Pally and didn't mind if we adopted. Jagger blather from an old Peter Whitehouse clip, Bill Murray as Hunter Thompson, Lou/Jim Carroll/David Jo as the voices of NewYork, something I can't remember to intro the live T. Rex. Did I miss anything? The Merzbow/John Zorn mashup-- wait, that wasn't on this record.

Oh, and Steve Hunter playing cool fretless bass on Reckless Hearts I thought. Pat DiPuccio on EBow guitar solo. Almost sophisticated, like.