What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 5:47am
I love the Lizzy version of WItJ!
Musically it's fine, it's more that it doesn't feel very authentic to me, like it was just for them to make a hit - was never originally intended to be an A side in the first place. I don't mind the Dubliners doing it so much but i might have a snobbish way of looking at it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Always on the jukebox when I was younger. No one ever complained about hearing it on repeat. Yeah I'm a fan.

I also love this earlier version.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 6:07am
Heston wrote:
Musically it's fine, it's more that it doesn't feel very authentic to me, like it was just for them to make a hit - was never originally intended to be an A side in the first place. I don't mind the Dubliners doing it so much but i might have a snobbish way of looking at it.
It's easy to become jaded with our views. I'm constantly guilty of doing this and then have to remind myself a good tune is just a good tune. We will always have our preferred versions. But as long as the tune isn't fucked about with then the majority of covers are solid. And I have to mention that the Lizzy version is how most of us first heard the song. Even though it had been around a very ling time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 7:01am
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's easy to become jaded with our views. I'm constantly guilty of doing this and then have to remind myself a good tune is just a good tune. We will always have our preferred versions. But as long as the tune isn't fucked about with then the majority of covers are solid. And I have to mention that the Lizzy version is how most of us first heard the song. Even though it had been around a very ling time.
Definitely guilty as charged on that front many times over!! But in this case i don't think it's a question of being jaded, I just never really liked the song to begin with. As much as I love both Irish trad and Thin Lizzy, the two just don't quite come together for me in that particular track. Not certain but i think that's how a few of the band felt about it as well. But lots of people loved it and still do, so I'd happily concede it has definite musical merit to it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 8:48am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
Definitely guilty as charged on that front many times over!! But in this case i don't think it's a question of being jaded, I just never really liked the song to begin with. As much as I love both Irish trad and Thin Lizzy, the two just don't quite come together for me in that particular track. Not certain but i think that's how a few of the band felt about it as well. But lots of people loved it and still do, so I'd happily concede it has definite musical merit to it.
That's all fair enough mate. I guess as the new Lizzy members came in they wanted their own stamp.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 9:06am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
That's all fair enough mate. I guess as the new Lizzy members came in they wanted their own stamp.
Yeah, tbh i shouldn't be too harsh on Whiskey, really there's nothing wrong with it at all. Compared to this. There are still people in Ireland traumatised by this 40 years on.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 9:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Yeah, tbh i shouldn't be too harsh on Whiskey, really there's nothing wrong with it at all. Compared to this. There are still people in Ireland traumatised by this 40 years on.

What did I ever do to you to deserve that! :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 11:10am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Apologies! It's all part of the healing process, deflecting my trauma onto others ;)

Apropos nothing, that was actually in the charts at the same time as - and significantly outperformed Know Your Rights, as indeed it would the next 2 CR singles as well.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 11:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Apologies! It's all part of the healing process, deflecting my trauma onto others ;)

Apropos nothing, that was actually in the charts at the same time as - and significantly outperformed Know Your Rights, as indeed it would the next 2 CR singles as well.
Can't help but feel with hindsight that maybe The Clash should've covered it. I can just see the boys in those stockings.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 11:51am
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 11:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Can't help but feel with hindsight that maybe The Clash should've covered it. I can just see the boys in those stockings.
Oh yeah, they were all very well with their slick backed hair and chic urban revolution, but what the people really wanted was middle aged men in leprechaun suits singing about lusty sailors stealing comely maidens virginity. The Clash just never got it!

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 4:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 4:18am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:54am
Low Down Low wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 8:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 8:17pm

Oh definitely I'm not suggesting Lizzy were ploughing the same furrow as Horslips. But there are some traditional elements in their sound and lyrical content. Just like Rory Gallagher and Taste they also have some of that traditional feel just played on heavier electric guitar.
Rory is another terribly under appreciated artist to my mind. Depending on who you believe, might once have joined the Stones! They all definitely did have elements of trad in them for sure, though I think Rory from the start regarded himself first and foremost as a bluesman. Genuinely, i have often regretted not being 10-15 years older so I could have followed all those bands in their prime. Rory was a shell of his former self by the time I got to see him around late 80s.
Indeed Phil was quite jaded of his Celtic rock roots when asked about it in later years. They even refused to play whiskey in the jar live.
Can't blame him really. I think he just got sick of being known for that song. As mentioned further up the thread they had long since moved on from that style musically.
I think the problem with WITJ was it was basically shit and they knew it, fake paddy whackery and when the new guys came in after Eric Bell, they wanted nothing to do with it. But it got them noticed and brought success, so they were thankful to it in that way. My own view is that Phil was hugely into his Irish trad roots, and it's there right from the start thematically, it just took him a little while to fully incorporate it in terms of the sound he wanted.
Black Rose is a much better take on the whole celtic rock thing IMO. Similarly adapted from an old irish folk tune but molded much more into the Lizzy sound.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:35pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 8:28pm

Rory is another terribly under appreciated artist to my mind. Depending on who you believe, might once have joined the Stones! They all definitely did have elements of trad in them for sure, though I think Rory from the start regarded himself first and foremost as a bluesman. Genuinely, i have often regretted not being 10-15 years older so I could have followed all those bands in their prime. Rory was a shell of his former self by the time I got to see him around late 80s.
Indeed Phil was quite jaded of his Celtic rock roots when asked about it in later years. They even refused to play whiskey in the jar live.
Can't blame him really. I think he just got sick of being known for that song. As mentioned further up the thread they had long since moved on from that style musically.
I think the problem with WITJ was it was basically shit and they knew it, fake paddy whackery and when the new guys came in after Eric Bell, they wanted nothing to do with it. But it got them noticed and brought success, so they were thankful to it in that way. My own view is that Phil was hugely into his Irish trad roots, and it's there right from the start thematically, it just took him a little while to fully incorporate it in terms of the sound he wanted.
Black Rose is a much better take on the whole celtic rock thing IMO. Similarly adapted from an old irish folk tune but molded much more into the Lizzy sound.
My fave Lizzy album. Brilliant.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 1:09pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Yeah, probably the first Lizzy album i properly engaged with and made me a fan. Roisin Dubh is spectacular, i think that's what i meant earlier when talking about Phil needing a bit of time to find that right sound for the trad stuff and i think with this, he absolutely nailed it. It's a mix of original tune with a medley of traditional arrangements stirred in and it's utterly brilliant.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 1:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah, probably the first Lizzy album i properly engaged with and made me a fan. Roisin Dubh is spectacular, i think that's what i meant earlier when talking about Phil needing a bit of time to find that right sound for the trad stuff and i think with this, he absolutely nailed it. It's a mix of original tune with a medley of traditional arrangements stirred in and it's utterly brilliant.
It's clearly got quite a bit of Punk/New Wave influence in the sound as well which I really dig. I think Midge Ure co wrote a few of the tracks on the record. For me it's 3 way tie between Bad Reputation, Fighting, and Black Rose. Jailbreak is a wall to wall classic but for some reason never connected with me as much personally. Perhaps overexposure? They really don't have a single bad album in their discography though.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 1:33pm
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 1:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It's clearly got quite a bit of Punk/New Wave influence in the sound as well which I really dig. I think Midge Ure co wrote a few of the tracks on the record. For me it's 3 way tie between Bad Reputation, Fighting, and Black Rose. Jailbreak is a wall to wall classic but for some reason never connected with me as much personally. Perhaps overexposure? They really don't have a single bad album in their discography though.
Midge only helped with a co/write "Get Out of Here" to my knowledge.

So both Lizzy and The Clash played "Shenandoah" well sort of.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia