I Need Help Identifying Songs

General music discussion.
weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

I Need Help Identifying Songs

Post by weller259 »

I have a bunch of songs that I recorded off a distant college radio station back in the mid 80's through the early 90's and while I did try to get artists and song titles back then, I couldn't get all of them due to the fact it was the 80's and I was in my 20's ... I would love to find out the artists and song titles for these songs, i've been looking since 2001, I have gotten some but I still have many and this board has so many people with way more knowledge than me, i'm hoping someone might be able to give me some help. I have created videos with the audio in question, the audio quality is like listening to a distant radio station back in the 80's, lol. I figured if anyone could help me find these, this board could. I have nothing to lose, except my pride, so as I say I have nothing to lose by asking.
Here's the first one, please help a geezer out if you can :mrgreen:

From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: I Need Help Identifying Songs

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 8:20pm
I have a bunch of songs that I recorded off a distant college radio station back in the mid 80's through the early 90's and while I did try to get artists and song titles back then, I couldn't get all of them due to the fact it was the 80's and I was in my 20's ... I would love to find out the artists and song titles for these songs, i've been looking since 2001, I have gotten some but I still have many and this board has so many people with way more knowledge than me, i'm hoping someone might be able to give me some help. I have created videos with the audio in question, the audio quality is like listening to a distant radio station back in the 80's, lol. I figured if anyone could help me find these, this board could. I have nothing to lose, except my pride, so as I say I have nothing to lose by asking.
Here's the first one, please help a geezer out if you can :mrgreen:

I never heard this before.

What station was it? I used to be able to pull in a bunch of stations fro. The tri-state area and basically lived on the left side of thr dial.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Damn, the voice is naggingly familiar, but it's not coming to me. Sounds American, early to mid-80s, drawing from early hip hop, so maybe the northeast?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Waitresses? As Doc mentioned, the vocals seem familiar.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 8:54pm

What station was it? I used to be able to pull in a bunch of stations fro. The tri-state area and basically lived on the left side of thr dial.
It was WFDU, Fairleigh-Dickinson University, from 8 PM to 6 AM every night they played new music, they introduced me to so many artists i'd never have heard otherwise.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

gkbill wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 9:15pm
Hello,

The Waitresses? As Doc mentioned, the vocals seem familiar.
I have one Waitresses album and its not on it, I am not sure that the Waitresses had soft vocals with bass-heavy melodies in their arsenal, but I will keep investigating them.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 10:36pm
revbob wrote:

It was WFDU, Fairleigh-Dickinson University, from 8 PM to 6 AM every night they played new music, they introduced me to so many artists i'd never have heard otherwise.
Yeah I definitely listened to them. I had a great tuner and antenna and could really get a lot of stations.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 8:58pm
Damn, the voice is naggingly familiar, but it's not coming to me. Sounds American, early to mid-80s, drawing from early hip hop, so maybe the northeast?
That is a good thought there. With what I think are name drops of desmond dekker and chubby checker, I am hoping someone might know this, the other songs or snippets I have are going to be even more difficult I imagine. lol

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 10:40pm
weller259 wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah I definitely listened to them. I had a great tuner and antenna and could really get a lot of stations.
I had a good audio receiver and my antenna was a copper wire that I ran through my upstairs window outside a couple of inches. As you probably guessed from listening to this. lol

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 11:01pm
revbob wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 10:40pm
weller259 wrote:
revbob wrote:

I had a good audio receiver and my antenna was a copper wire that I ran through my upstairs window outside a couple of inches. As you probably guessed from listening to this. lol
I used to piss off friends because I would rather listen to something interesting/good with static than shit without static.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 10:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 8:58pm
That is a good thought there. With what I think are name drops of desmond dekker and chubby checker, I am hoping someone might know this, the other songs or snippets I have are going to be even more difficult I imagine. lol
I head Spider-man and milkshake in the lyrics, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

We need Marky on the case.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Another thought, if you're really dogged on the case, Emotional Response Records has put out five volumes of a great compilation called Typical Girls, which is loaded with obscurities like these by women artists. Shoot them an email to see if anyone recognizes it. As is, today I'll go thru my set on the off-chance that it's on there.

edit: Ooops, I was thinking more about the compilation Subnormal Girls. Typical Girls is more straight-forward punk. Either way, I zipped thru both but no dice.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

With this kind of thing I usually find a lyric lookup will help, but I can't tell what the hell she's singing.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 2:52pm
With this kind of thing I usually find a lyric lookup will help, but I can't tell what the hell she's singing.
I did that already with the words I picked out and it gave me nuthin'.

edit: Which, I guess, is a useful clue that this is, in fact, a really obscure song, perhaps the only thing the group managed to record, and it hasn't been rescued for digitization/streaming.