What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 7:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 7:08pm
Give Suede a chance.
Things you will never find Flex doing or saying for $1000, Alex
I need reasons because whatever they are, they're wrong.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 6:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 5:53pm
Kory wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 2:59pm
I've been checking out Pulp for maybe the second time lately, mostly because when people are turned off by the Blur v. Oasis crap, they usually cite Pulp as the real band to be listening to. It's ok, but I still prefer Echobelly, Sleeper, and Elastica most of all.
Supergrass are my faves from that Britpop era.
Supergrass and Elastica are the only ones that I still rate highly.
Give Suede a chance. Their latest album (2022) was excellent and they remain an incredible live act. I had lost track of them after their Coming Up LP in about 1997 and was completely blown away by how good they still sounded when I saw them live last year. I went through everything they recorded post-Coming Up and it's really, really good.
Bought the first album back in the day and downloaded some best of awhile back. They’re a shrug for me. No hate, no love.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 7:15pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 6:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 5:53pm
Kory wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 2:59pm
I've been checking out Pulp for maybe the second time lately, mostly because when people are turned off by the Blur v. Oasis crap, they usually cite Pulp as the real band to be listening to. It's ok, but I still prefer Echobelly, Sleeper, and Elastica most of all.
Supergrass are my faves from that Britpop era.
Supergrass and Elastica are the only ones that I still rate highly.
Give Suede a chance. Their latest album (2022) was excellent and they remain an incredible live act. I had lost track of them after their Coming Up LP in about 1997 and was completely blown away by how good they still sounded when I saw them live last year. I went through everything they recorded post-Coming Up and it's really, really good.
Bought the first album back in the day and downloaded some best of awhile back. They’re a shrug for me. No hate, no love.
Fair enough.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

The first four songs on Dog Man Star are amazing. It can't be denied.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm listening to the new Husker Du live album, Tonite Longhorn, which presents 3 shows from 79-80 before they started playing hardcore. Now, I LOVE their hardcore stuff, so this is no knock on those ultra classic records but this shit RULES. Real late 70s gritty punk rock with some great chops - definitely shows these guys could play real good right out of the box. Essential edition into their catalog. Highly recommend it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 4:37pm
I'm listening to the new Husker Du live album, Tonite Longhorn, which presents 3 shows from 79-80 before they started playing hardcore. Now, I LOVE their hardcore stuff, so this is no knock on those ultra classic records but this shit RULES. Real late 70s gritty punk rock with some great chops - definitely shows these guys could play real good right out of the box. Essential edition into their catalog. Highly recommend it.
Intriguing. To the music theft machine!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparked to one of my answers to this week's Top 5 category, I've been listening to Marnie Stern's albums in order. I'm up to her third one, the self-titled one. It and her last one, The Chronicles of Marnia, are my favourites. It's out of character for me to highlight a musician's skill, but she is shit-hot interesting.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 1:29pm
Sparked to one of my answers to this week's Top 5 category, I've been listening to Marnie Stern's albums in order. I'm up to her third one, the self-titled one. It and her last one, The Chronicles of Marnia, are my favourites. It's out of character for me to highlight a musician's skill, but she is shit-hot interesting.
I think I went to camp or was in youth group with her or something. :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mr. Shifty is extra mysterious in this case. Explain yourself toot sweet!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 3:00pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I didn't know if that would have been the right emoji or not. Marnie Stern just sounds like your average Jewish girl from the 80s that I would have gone to camp with. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 3:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I didn't know if that would have been the right emoji or not. Marnie Stern just sounds like your average Jewish girl from the 80s that I would have gone to camp with. :mrgreen:
Ha! Gotcha.

(I went to school in the 80s with two Marnies—that I can recall—and I'm not sure I've encountered one since.)

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 3:27pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ha! Gotcha.

(I went to school in the 80s with two Marnies—that I can recall—and I'm not sure I've encountered one since.)
I know a 13 year old Marnie!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 3:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 3:27pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Ha! Gotcha.

I know a 13 year old Marnie!
Tangentially speaking, I remember in the 80s when Wheel of Fortune became really popular, supposedly tons of girls were being named Vanna. I've never met a single one. On the other hand, Splash genuinely did unleash a shit-ton of Madisons on the world.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Not released until August. 6 disc set 5 cds 1 dvd.

Looking forward to it. Dr Medulla need not apply. Well he won't be able to see this post anyway.
Attachments
51mJCcyoCzL._AC_AA320_.jpg
51mJCcyoCzL._AC_AA320_.jpg (15.32 KiB) Viewed 912 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 6:53pm
Not released until August. 6 disc set 5 cds 1 dvd.

Looking forward to it. Dr Medulla need not apply. Well he won't be able to see this post anyway.
Five blank cd's and a blank dvd? A fool and his money …