Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 8:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 4:11pm
I would love to know what Jello would think of coming out on top in a Smiths/Morrissey thread. 🤣
The shit I took this morning would come out on top.
I'm sure Jello would be touched you hold him in such high esteem.🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 3:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 1:52pm
There's no persuasive argument for a Morrissey striptease.
The alternative is that he has to get his nakedness out there some other way. I present to you* the inner sleeve to the Greatest Hits album.

* I don't present this to you in picture form because it's horrifying. And it was available as a gatefold vinyl edition for those who needed a lifesize, close-up, high-resolution picture of Morrisseys bum'ole in their life.
I have seen that—the photo, that is—and had forgotten. He's a long way from sixteen, clumsy, and shy.
Everything ends, and Everything matters. - Ron Currie, Jr.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 4:01pm
oliver wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 3:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 1:52pm
There's no persuasive argument for a Morrissey striptease.
The alternative is that he has to get his nakedness out there some other way. I present to you* the inner sleeve to the Greatest Hits album.

* I don't present this to you in picture form because it's horrifying. And it was available as a gatefold vinyl edition for those who needed a lifesize, close-up, high-resolution picture of Morrisseys bum'ole in their life.
I have seen that—the photo, that is—and had forgotten. He's a long way from sixteen, clumsy, and shy.
🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Interesting (to me) post on morrisseycentral.com ( https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messag ... yric-pride )

songs from which Morrissey feels most lyrical self-fulfilment
1. IRISH BLOOD, ENGLISH HEART
2. HOW SOON IS NOW?
3. LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THAT SOMEBODY LOVED ME
4. SMILER WITH KNIFE
5. SEASICK, YET STILL DOCKED
6. TROUBLE LOVES ME
7. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT I WANT
8. PAINT A VULGAR PICTURE
9. ONCE I SAW THE RIVER CLEAN
10 REBELS WITHOUT APPLAUSE
11 GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA
12 HOLD ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
13 FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE
14 WE'LL LET YOU KNOW
15 WHY DON'T YOU FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF
16 A RUSH AND A PUSH AND THE LAND IS OURS
17 ASLEEP
18 READER MEET AUTHOR
19 I WISH YOU LONELY
20 LIFE IS A PIGSTY
21 HOME IS A QUESTION MARK
22 YES, I AM BLIND
23 I WILL SEE YOU IN FAR-OFF PLACES
24 EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY
25 THAT'S HOW PEOPLE GROW UP
26 THE HEADMASTER RITUAL
27 THE GIRL FROM TEL-AVIV WHO WOULDN'T KNEEL
28 THE FATHER WHO MUST BE KILLED
29 JACKY'S ONLY HAPPY WHEN SHE'S UP ON THE STAGE
30 BECAUSE OF MY POOR EDUCATION
31 I'M NOT A MAN
32 LET ME KISS YOU
33 SPENT THE DAY IN BED
34 I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS
35 THE NEVER-PLAYED SYMPHONIES
36 MY LIFE IS A SUCCESSION OF PEOPLE SAYING GOODBYE
37 ISTANBUL
38 SPEEDWAY
39 GANGLORD
40 SCANDINAVIA

My top ten of missing songs:
1) This Charming Man
2) Reel Around the Fountain
3) I Keep Mine Hidden
4) Late Night Maudlin Street
5) Little Man What Now?
6) Now My Heart is Full
7) Tomorrow
8) The Queen is Dead
9) Half a Person
10) What She Said
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 2:51pm
Interesting (to me) post on morrisseycentral.com ( https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messag ... yric-pride )

I'm not sure what this means—that within the song, the narrator is assertive, or that Morrissey himself has listed these as songs that fulfill him? I think that site has access to Morrissey himself, but the author is not clear here.

I guess we could be glad that National Front Disco isn't on there.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 2:53pm
oliver wrote:

I'm not sure what this means—that within the song, the narrator is assertive, or that Morrissey himself has listed these as songs that fulfill him? I think that site has access to Morrissey himself, but the author is not clear here.

I think the site is run by Morrissey's nephew so I assume it's the lyrics Morrissey is most proud of.

I found out not that long ago that National Front Disco and We'll Let You Know are directly influenced by a book called Among the Thugs by Bill Buford. It's hard to believe that Morrissey could miss how pathetic the author considers the attendees of the actual National Front Disco he attended.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 3:10pm
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:

I think the site is run by Morrissey's nephew so I assume it's the lyrics Morrissey is most proud of.

I found out not that long ago that National Front Disco and We'll Let You Know are directly influenced by a book called Among the Thugs by Bill Buford. It's hard to believe that Morrissey could miss how pathetic the author considers the attendees of the actual National Front Disco he attended.
I think there's some ambivalence about the NF at the very least. They might be too direct for him.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 5:04pm
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:

I think there's some ambivalence about the NF at the very least. They might be too direct for him.
National Front > British National Party > For Britain > Morrissey.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 4:18am
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:

I appreciate there r multiple sides to the argument I am making below, but I still say 1980s or 1990s Morrissey does not necessarily equal 2010s Morrissey or current day Morrissey (and cannot necessarily be used to prove the motives or intentions of 1980s or 1990s Morrissey). A lot of people have radicalized in the last 10 years, say, and a lot of people get worse and worse as they age, and I believe both r very true of Morrissey. Not suggesting he was all good on this front before that (and, again I appreciate the other side of the argument here), and clearly part of him was predisposed to what he became, but that is a far cry from any type of solid argument that National Front Disco was endorsing or sympathizing with or attempting to humanize or be cutely ambiguous about the National Front character in that story. Indeed, the lyric makes no sense as any of that. Among other things, the “Disco” part of the song is pretty clearly delivered as a punch line (as the character is being mocked), and it’s very hard to imagine the “you want the day to come sooner, when you settle the score” crescendo or climax being anything other than a condemnation of the character’s mindset.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

drowninghere wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 5:06am
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 4:18am
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:

I appreciate there r multiple sides to the argument I am making below, but I still say 1980s or 1990s Morrissey does not necessarily equal 2010s Morrissey or current day Morrissey (and cannot necessarily be used to prove the motives or intentions of 1980s or 1990s Morrissey). A lot of people have radicalized in the last 10 years, say, and a lot of people get worse and worse as they age, and I believe both r very true of Morrissey. Not suggesting he was all good on this front before that (and, again I appreciate the other side of the argument here), and clearly part of him was predisposed to what he became, but that is a far cry from any type of solid argument that National Front Disco was endorsing or sympathizing with or attempting to humanize or be cutely ambiguous about the National Front character in that story. Indeed, the lyric makes no sense as any of that. Among other things, the “Disco” part of the song is pretty clearly delivered as a punch line (as the character is being mocked), and it’s very hard to imagine the “you want the day to come sooner, when you settle the score” crescendo or climax being anything other than a condemnation of the character’s mindset.
My understanding is Morrissey sees songs as kitchen sink dramas or vignettes. I don't think "National Front Disco" asks the listener to take sides but just to observe.

However Morrissey giving support to For Britain shows a lack of compassion not only to his audience but to British people in general. Morrissey was/is pro Brexit and that is a complete insult to those that fought for a safer society and the freedom of movement. So this once fan is now happy to tell Morrissey the sun no longer shines out of his behind because it's clear he has disappeared up it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The following quote is what did it for me.

"Everyone ultimately prefers their own race – does this make everyone racist?" - Morrissey.

"Hey Stephen I do indeed prefer my own race - the human race" - Marky

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back in the Smiths days, I recall Morrissey making a smart observation, that talent is not elastic and that being skilled in one area does not give one insight into all manner of subjects. He's become steadily tone deaf on that question as he's aged. He's a clever person with a gift for arranging words, and he's especially talented in expressing loneliness and inadequacy and alienation. But when talking about racism and nationalism, he's just punching so out of his weight class. His talent comes from tapping into the personal, but discussing something like racism requires stepping out of oneself and considering these question beyond just how it affects Morrissey. He confuses his feelings with thoughts.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 7:23am
Back in the Smiths days, I recall Morrissey making a smart observation, that talent is not elastic and that being skilled in one area does not give one insight into all manner of subjects. He's become steadily tone deaf on that question as he's aged. He's a clever person with a gift for arranging words, and he's especially talented in expressing loneliness and inadequacy and alienation. But when talking about racism and nationalism, he's just punching so out of his weight class. His talent comes from tapping into the personal, but discussing something like racism requires stepping out of oneself and considering these question beyond just how it affects Morrissey. He confuses his feelings with thoughts.
He is living proof that intelligence and ignorance can quite happily go hand in hand.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 8:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
He is living proof that intelligence and ignorance can quite happily go hand in hand.
One of the amusing aspects of academia is that you meet people who are really fucking smart yet also astonishingly dumb. Experts in their field but, holy cow, have learned nothing at all about the world around them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 8:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 8:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
One of the amusing aspects of academia is that you meet people who are really fucking smart yet also astonishingly dumb. Experts in their field but, holy cow, have learned nothing at all about the world around them.
We call these people Tories here. The best educations money can buy providing unprecedented levels of dumbfuckness.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia