The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:55pm
Holland is a solid LP in my opinion. Their last gasp as a working band before nostalgia kicked in.

Sail On, Sailor is a stone cold classic.
Steamboat is a very interesting offering from Dennis.
California Saga is fun. I do prefer the original version of Big Sur, but it's still a good song.

Trader has some corny Jack Rieley lyrics, but Carl's vocal is great, especially on the second part of the song.
Leaving this Town, ably sung by Blondie, doesn't sound at first glance like a Beach Boys song, but it's a solid song and when the harmonies kick in...
Only With You is a nice, understated song from Dennis.
Funky Pretty is great - it's weird, but not Love You weird and the ending is awesome!

It's then topped off with Brian's whimsical and weird and lovely Mt. Vernon and Fairway.
Just did a quickie review on Flex' thread.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Screengrab from the Mike Love is a Douche Facebook group. Knock me over with a feather.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230207-165643.png
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Water will always find its own level.

(Tho, somehow Gene Simmons has been on the non-asshole side of the issue, which still astounds me, even if I can interpret it to mean that dead people don't buy KISS merchandise.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 8:15pm

(Tho, somehow Gene Simmons has been on the non-asshole side of the issue, which still astounds me, even if I can interpret it to mean that dead people don't buy KISS merchandise.)
Yeah, I think it was someone on here who pointed out that you gotta hand it to Simmons as an arsehole who still privileges common sense money making over the increasingly headbanging right wing orthodoxy. Kinda respect it, honestly.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 7:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 8:15pm

Yeah, I think it was someone on here who pointed out that you gotta hand it to Simmons as an arsehole who still privileges common sense money making over the increasingly headbanging right wing orthodoxy. Kinda respect it, honestly.
Wolter, I think.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Making my way through Surf's Up and holy shit these lyrics about Kent State:
Four martyrs earned a new degree
The Bachelor of Bullets
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 4:43pm
The Bachelor of Bullets
Yeah, it's really Mike's most risible song. Sucks because I actually like the slightly gritty sound. Should have just done a straight cover.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 4:43pm
The Bachelor of Bullets
Mike, stick to the fucking formula.

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 5:20pm

Let's talk Stamos' kit for a second. It's an electronic set which isn't off base for the recording, but what the fuck is with those two China cymbals that you practically have to jump to hit?:

(also side drummer rant - why the hell does Stamos choke the cymbal after that intro fill? That always bothered me.)
Digging through my old photos, I found this from drafting the review. Just noticed that the hi hat cymbal is in the middle of the kit. I have never seen this placement in my entire life. Hi hats are either hard left or hard right on a kit. Just a weird thing I have to note.
Attachments
Stamos Beach.JPG
Stamos Beach.JPG (45.55 KiB) Viewed 3744 times

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 1:01pm
matedog wrote:

Let's talk Stamos' kit for a second. It's an electronic set which isn't off base for the recording, but what the fuck is with those two China cymbals that you practically have to jump to hit?:

(also side drummer rant - why the hell does Stamos choke the cymbal after that intro fill? That always bothered me.)
Digging through my old photos, I found this from drafting the review. Just noticed that the hi hat cymbal is in the middle of the kit. I have never seen this placement in my entire life. Hi hats are either hard left or hard right on a kit. Just a weird thing I have to note.
Jesus Christ, that's weird looking. Like, I don't know anything about that stuff and it looks wholly impractical, yet doesn't gain anything aesthetically.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 1:24pm
matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 1:01pm
matedog wrote:

Jesus Christ, that's weird looking. Like, I don't know anything about that stuff and it looks wholly impractical, yet doesn't gain anything aesthetically.
Exactly. Neither functional nor aesthetic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

craiyon_115727_mike_love__antichrist.png

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 11:57am
That's making him way cooler than he could ever be.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 1:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 11:57am
That's making him way cooler than he could ever be.
AI is still a rudimentary technology.

matedog

Post by matedog »

This is fucking weird. You got some cool shit like Ray Charles doing Sail on Sailor and the Joe Piscapo doing a Springsteen parody/impersonation. The 80s were fucking weird. And Bruce plays his stupid Disney song. Everly Bros on it too and pretty solid. I thought Jim Belushi did a song because it's the fucking 80s and that guy was everywhere then, but apparently it's the Fabulous Thunderbirds.