The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:Sometimes even Hoy suffers for his "Mate's Takes" art.
Tell me about it, have had Mike Love's rape, I mean rap song stuck in my head all afternoon. Hey now hey now it's a love thing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

[youtube][/youtube]
Inexplicable Elton John cover (apparently for a tribute album). Gnome Al Jardine does the lead and sounds pretty good, even if he looks absolutely ridiculous and so uncool in this video. Carl does a verse at the end and sounds great as always. The production is typically abysmal for the period as is the video itself. Fascinatingly awful like everything from the era. And guess who makes a hammy appearance at the end? Hint: his name rhymes with Von Lamos.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I have the tribute album with the song, but was not aware of the video. So... thanks?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:I have the tribute album with the song, but was not aware of the video. So... thanks?
Did you buy the comp solely to be a Beach Boys completist?

matedog

Post by matedog »

I gotta give it up to Mike Love, this touring schedule is pretty impressive:
http://www.setlist.fm/stats/the-beach-boys-3d6c17b.html

Over a 54 year period, they average probably more than a 100 shows a year, having never done less than 50 shows (on record) since the year they released their first single.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Inexplicable Elton John cover (apparently for a tribute album). Gnome Al Jardine does the lead and sounds pretty good, even if he looks absolutely ridiculous and so uncool in this video. Carl does a verse at the end and sounds great as always. The production is typically abysmal for the period as is the video itself. Fascinatingly awful like everything from the era. And guess who makes a hammy appearance at the end? Hint: his name rhymes with Von Lamos.
The Von Lamos would be a great name for a Beach Boys tribute band that only covers songs recorded after 1978.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:In this week's edition of Mike Love's Rape Van, Mike and his van travel to the Far East
[youtube][/youtube]

This video is notable for its very long, uncomfortable close ups of East Asian women. Brian's here and is squinting about as hard as anyone i've ever seen. Typical of the era, Carl brings the most class and talent to the entire affair.

Also, what the fuck is the shot at around 2:18? I'm fairly certain the woman is dead on top of a tv.
Read up on this single recently and the song is actually quite interesting. It's another John Phillips tune and it's about his daughter (the one who says he raped her) calling him on her honeymoon in Guam, begging him to send her money for heroin. A bit darker than I had imagined.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:In this week's edition of Mike Love's Rape Van, Mike and his van travel to the Far East
[youtube][/youtube]

This video is notable for its very long, uncomfortable close ups of East Asian women. Brian's here and is squinting about as hard as anyone i've ever seen. Typical of the era, Carl brings the most class and talent to the entire affair.

Also, what the fuck is the shot at around 2:18? I'm fairly certain the woman is dead on top of a tv.
Read up on this single recently and the song is actually quite interesting. It's another John Phillips tune and it's about his daughter (the one who says he raped her) calling him on her honeymoon in Guam, begging him to send her money for heroin. A bit darker than I had imagined.
So the dead Asian woman is a metaphor for Cosby-ing your own daughter with smack.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
matedog wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]

So the dead Asian woman is a metaphor for Cosby-ing your own daughter with smack.
I would have put serious money on a Mike Love rape (rape van?) scandal over a Cosby rape scandal any day. It's fairly disheartening.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Another shared trait with Cut the Crap, this live version of Summer in Paradise is 1000x better than the godawful studio version (And it's still a very bad song):

Faster tempo, live drums, audible vocals during the chorus, and a rockin' sax solo.

matedog

Post by matedog »

One of the better songs off of Still Cruisin', the lone Brian original, drenched in wretched 80's production. I was hoping the live version would be good, but it's awful in different ways. As a picture, Brian looks great, but moving and singing seems very very off.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Hey Flex, I'm trying to track down your worst of 85-96 Beach Boys? I didn't see it on the Flex' takes thread either.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:Hey Flex, I'm trying to track down your worst of 85-96 Beach Boys? I didn't see it on the Flex' takes thread either.
I'm not sure I ever ended up putting one together. But I certainly am willing to.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:Hey Flex, I'm trying to track down your worst of 85-96 Beach Boys? I didn't see it on the Flex' takes thread either.
I'm not sure I ever ended up putting one together. But I certainly am willing to.
I swore there was one, but the search isn't pulling anything up. The Little Richard and Toby Keith collabs were on there.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I think I might have done an actual "best" of, but not actual worst of.

Pex Lives!