WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 12:33pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 12:31pm
I'm going to attempt to listen to Keepin' the Summer Alive right now...
yeah, sometimes my brain stops working right too ;)
I got as far as Oh Darlin'.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 1:01pm
Great point. It should also be said that Mike's version puts on a good show. It's super enjoyable. Heck, they played the Milwaukee County Sports Complex a few years back, which is just down the road from my office - it was just a stage set up in a field with bleacher seating trucked in.
Yeah, Mike's got a slick band these days. Nothing will beat the 50th - how could it - but The Mike Love Boys put on a perfectly cromulent show. You have to put up with Be True To Your School but he actually mixes in a few deep cuts to go along with the greatest hits so it's less venal than one would assume.

Brian solo used to be the better bet "artistically" but this summer's set wasn't very imaginative and, as I reviewed here, Brian himself is almost a total non-entity now. The better bet musically is probably with Mike & Bruce these days.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 1:05pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Great point. It should also be said that Mike's version puts on a good show. It's super enjoyable. Heck, they played the Milwaukee County Sports Complex a few years back, which is just down the road from my office - it was just a stage set up in a field with bleacher seating trucked in.
Yeah, Mike's got a slick band these days. Nothing will beat the 50th - how could it - but The Mike Love Boys put on a perfectly cromulent show. You have to put up with Be True To Your School but he actually mixes in a few deep cuts to go along with the greatest hits so it's less venal than one would assume.

Brian solo used to be the better bet "artistically" but this summer's set wasn't very imaginative and, as I reviewed here, Brian himself is almost a total non-entity now. The better bet musically is probably with Mike & Bruce these days.
Mike's been playing a surfed up version of Rockaway Beach on his 2022 tour!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 1:19pm
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Ok, now you've gone and piqued my interest, so Google gave me this version of it:

Can't embed it, but if you click on the "watch on youtube" you should be able to see it.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I made it four songs in. It's a reminder that Carl isn't as cool as I periodically think he is.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 3:23pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I made it four songs in. It's a reminder that Carl isn't as cool as I periodically think he is.
I love Carl’s voice and he had a lot of musical skill, but like most of The Beach Boys, his taste and song decisions are…not always very good.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 6:17pm
matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I love Carl’s voice and he had a lot of musical skill, but like most of The Beach Boys, his taste and song decisions are…not always very good.
Pairing with Randy Bachman...

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
He was the least cool Wilson. When Mike introduces the band on the Concert LP, Brian and Dennis far and away get the most female applause/adulation. Mike, Carl, and Al not so much.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Livin' with a Heartache is simply awful.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Carl is an interesting case. He has so many classic leads and then after years of smoking (that would eventually kill him) develops this powerfully soulful voice by the early 80a that really pops relative to the rest of the band. He sounds amazing in that decade when he’s belting. Unfortunately, he does a lot of cooing as well. It doesn’t sound bad, but it also doesn’t sound good, especially when paired with super 80s keyboards.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Sparky wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 1:36pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 1:19pm
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Ok, now you've gone and piqued my interest, so Google gave me this version of it:

Can't embed it, but if you click on the "watch on youtube" you should be able to see it.

Oh god, this took me to

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Deep down, Mike wants to be a muzak performer. Just strip away anything that's "weird" and leave the core of what he thinks people want—inoffensive sounds that don't angry up the chi.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 12:17pm
Deep down, Mike wants to be a muzak performer. Just strip away anything that's "weird" and leave the core of what he thinks people want—inoffensive sounds that don't angry up the chi.
I think it’s also a Gene Simmons case of he’s a businessman first and foremost. He’s looking for sales, and he decided almost 50 years ago that the way to sales is anodyne feel good songs that he’s frankly too out of touch to make well, and has been for almost the same amount of time. He accidentally struck gold one last time during the nostalgic and retrograde late 80s (one of the many nadir points in mainstream popular music) and that’s that.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

It’s very depressing to realize that in the very early days of The Beach Boys, Mike was the one who went to the more integrated high school and was the one who actually listened to R&B when most of the other ones were either folkies like Al or into toothless but technically skilled harmony groups like the Four Freshmen. He was arguably the coolest one for a few months!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 2:22pm
It’s very depressing to realize that in the very early days of The Beach Boys, Mike was the one who went to the more integrated high school and was the one who actually listened to R&B when most of the other ones were either folkies like Al or into toothless but technically skilled harmony groups like the Four Freshmen. He was arguably the coolest one for a few months!
So's a Strummerian nun fucker?

(If Strummerian catches on, I want my cut!)
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft