matedog wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 7:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 1:34pm
revbob wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 1:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 12:25pm
I like the part where Roger Donaldson ranks it as their best song since "Good Vibrations." I mean, wow, a film director said that? But I'm not sure. I first want the opinions of William "Refrigerator" Perry, Robert Stack, and Ralph Nader before I consider the comparison.
I don't know how anyone could not hate Kokomo.
Hoyston.
Great chorus and Carl vocal. Verses are incidental.
Agreed. Everything else about it is grating (the lyrics, the video, the Tom Cruise movie, Mike Love, etc.) but the chorus kills.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 8:12pm
revbob wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 7:39pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hoyston.
We have a partial confirmation.
The other half is searching for a "superior," Phil Collins version of "God Only Knows."
Gold. Absolute gold.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JoseUnidos wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 10:19am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I like the part where Roger Donaldson ranks it as their best song since "Good Vibrations." I mean, wow, a film director said that? But I'm not sure. I first want the opinions of William "Refrigerator" Perry, Robert Stack, and Ralph Nader before I consider the comparison.
Hoyston.
Agreed. Everything else about it is grating (the lyrics, the video, the Tom Cruise movie, Mike Love, etc.) but the chorus kills.
Kills as in makes you want to kill?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JoseUnidos wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 10:19am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hoyston.
Yup. Carl's vocal on the chorus is awesome. He saves the song from being utter garbage. The success of Kokomo led to the dreadful Summer in Paradise LP...which found Mike and Terry Melcher attempting to stumble into another hit...but coming up empty. That is probably the only BB album I never listen to (other than maybe Still Cruisin' - which really isn't a true album).

Interestingly, if you track down a copy of the Spanish version of the song...you can hear a prominent Brian on the chorus. My guess is that Gene Landy realized he'd made a big mistake by not allowing Brian to sing on the original...so figured he'd better get him on the Spanish version.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I had no idea there was a Spanish version of the song. I'll have to check it out.

Also, I was reading the hype description for the Mike Love Boys Beaver Creek appearance and fucking LOL:
Love’s role as the band’s front man sometimes overshadows his stature as one of rock’s foremost songwriters.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 5:40pm
Also, I was reading the hype description for the Mike Love Boys Beaver Creek appearance and fucking LOL:
Love’s role as the band’s front man sometimes overshadows his stature as one of rock’s foremost songwriters.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
I had no idea there was a Spanish version of the song. I'll have to check it out.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

We seem to have a lot of Kokomo apologists in here. I may have to call up ZOG and do something about this.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 2:12pm
We seem to have a lot of Kokomo apologists in here. I may have to call up ZOG and do something about this.
Between that and the Phil Collins / Billy Joel / Wham stuff, this has been a bad month. The only legitimate comparison is the American secession crisis in 1860–1861.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 6:10pm
Flex wrote:

Wow, Brian is all up in that. Carl's vocals don't sound as strong, he's doing his breathy soft sound he sadly employed on SiP.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 2:25pm
JennyB wrote:
Between that and the Phil Collins / Billy Joel / Wham stuff, this has been a bad month. The only legitimate comparison is the American secession crisis in 1860–1861.
Isn't ZOG down with BJ? I thought Jenny and Matt Patrol were the only Jews that don't like Billy Joel.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
Please do, Ill even become a regular contributor

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 2:42pm
JennyB wrote:
Please do, Ill even become a regular contributor
Warming up the Mossad Van as we speak.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 2:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Isn't ZOG down with BJ? I thought Jenny and Matt Patrol were the only Jews that don't like Billy Joel.
You are correct. Alan Light also dislikes Billy Joel. But ZOG understands that, sometimes, collateral damage is necessary for the greater good.
Got a Rake? Sure!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 3:17pm
matedog wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 2:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
You are correct. Alan Light also dislikes Billy Joel. But ZOG understands that, sometimes, collateral damage is necessary for the greater good.
I'll be at odds with the ZOG until Gene Simmons is dealt with harshly.