The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 5:57pm

This is fucking weird. You got some cool shit like Ray Charles doing Sail on Sailor and the Joe Piscapo doing a Springsteen parody/impersonation. The 80s were fucking weird. And Bruce plays his stupid Disney song. Everly Bros on it too and pretty solid. I thought Jim Belushi did a song because it's the fucking 80s and that guy was everywhere then, but apparently it's the Fabulous Thunderbirds.
Any Xer who goes on about the 80s—the mainstream stuff—being so great needs to have their nuts/ovaries shoved down their throat. Weird stuff in the 70s tends to be what-the-fuck interesting; weird stuff in the 80s is embarrassing, please find the nearest memory hole.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 6:27pm
matedog wrote:

This is fucking weird. You got some cool shit like Ray Charles doing Sail on Sailor and the Joe Piscapo doing a Springsteen parody/impersonation. The 80s were fucking weird. And Bruce plays his stupid Disney song. Everly Bros on it too and pretty solid. I thought Jim Belushi did a song because it's the fucking 80s and that guy was everywhere then, but apparently it's the Fabulous Thunderbirds.
Any Xer who goes on about the 80s—the mainstream stuff—being so great needs to have their nuts/ovaries shoved down their throat. Weird stuff in the 70s tends to be what-the-fuck interesting; weird stuff in the 80s is embarrassing, please find the nearest memory hole.
I blame the 90s on the 80s.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 7:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I KNEW we were y'all's fault
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 7:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Completely. A different flavour of shit, but undeniably shit. With my punk seminar students, when discussion has drifted into generational questions, I've made it known that, sure, dump on Boomers, I'm all for that, but there are very few areas where I'll defend Xers, so go to town. Culturally, the 90s was the worst aspects of Boomers and Xers getting together.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:

I've never seen this before and it's truly woeful. What's with the Carl / Gloria Loring duet of Friends and Lovers? When did that awful song ever have anything to do with the Beach Boys? Also, Mike should be beaten for that initial getup of white baseball cap, no shirt, and child molester towel wrap. Glen Campbell should also have been beaten for his awful 80's gym teacher short shorts. Looks like Mike Kowalski on drums. I'm surprised Stamos didn't weasel his way in there.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've said it before, but I am amused but also sympathetic to the amount of rancid shit involved to being a BB fan. So much more cherrypicking than other fanbases have to engage in.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 12:30pm
I've said it before, but I am amused but also sympathetic to the amount of rancid shit involved to being a BB fan. So much more cherrypicking than other fanbases have to engage in.
In conclusion, the beach boys are a land of contrasts

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 12:30pm
I think it's better now, but in the 80s I'm guessing fans were thankful for whatever they got. You can at least now decide between going to the Mike or Brian show.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 11:47am
matedog wrote:

I've never seen this before and it's truly woeful. What's with the Carl / Gloria Loring duet of Friends and Lovers? When did that awful song ever have anything to do with the Beach Boys? Also, Mike should be beaten for that initial getup of white baseball cap, no shirt, and child molester towel wrap. Glen Campbell should also have been beaten for his awful 80's gym teacher short shorts. Looks like Mike Kowalski on drums. I'm surprised Stamos didn't weasel his way in there.
Stamos got to intro a segment at least. But yeah, he wasn't a big enough star to get on stage for another year or two.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 2:40pm
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:

Stamos got to intro a segment at least. But yeah, he wasn't a big enough star to get on stage for another year or two.
Is there anything good about these people?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 2:46pm
matedog wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 2:40pm
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:

Is there anything good about these people?
That's what I find fascinating about BB fans—they'll acknowledge a lot of awful and then say, "But Carl kicks ass here …" as if, seemingly, that makes up for everything else. It's like this place on EET Week—it's coming sooner than you think, so see your doctor to get vaccinated!—where people will strain to find stuff they like and then extrapolate how it's not that bad or could actually have been really good. Fandom is a weird state of mind.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Okay, I feel like I need to defend the band's honor (and the people who enjoy the music) here a little bit: the Beach boys made some of the best rock music around from about 1962 (well, maybe '63) to 1971 with a couple other high point albums in the rest of the 70s (Matey's disparagement aside, stuff like Sunflower and Surf's Up are very highly regarded critically and Carl and the Passions, Holland, and Love You have been rediscovered as lost gems in the last couple decades. Maybe not to everyone's taste here, but insofar as we can appreciate creativity regardless of our own personal tastes, these guys were doing it). Then, yeah, they started sucking bigly. But it'd be like if the clash doubled their discography by making cut the crap over and over again and then people started asking if the band was ever good to begin with. Yeah, they were fucking brilliant at one point. Practically speaking, they didn't die off fast enough, and a couple of the wrong band members were the first to go when they did, to avoid the disgrace that a lot of other bands probably would have ended up in if they'd stuck together. The bad music exists, it is what it is. I think The Beach Boys are pretty much proof positive of the Neil Young "better to burn out that fade away" line being true from a legacy standpoint.

And, sure, the 80s and 90s were rough - and particularly rough given the way Mike Love conducts the affairs of the band - but they're hardly the only band or artist to put out crap during that period. I mean, Paul McCartney has released, what, 2 good-ish albums since 1973 (and, looking at his discography, I feel like I may be pretty generous with that)? So, yeah, when we're doing these deep dives on the worst periods of the band, we're inclined to just find a few good bits and pieces here. But it's worth keeping in mind that Matey's a lunatic. He's listening to crap I haven't touched in probably over a decade. It's a big world so no doubt there are weirdos who think this stuff is brilliant, but most fans do what clash fans do: spend time with the actual good stuff and just ironically appreciate the garbage every once in a while. Not that different than what we do here.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 3:21pm
Okay, I feel like I need to defend the band's honor (and the people who enjoy the music) here a little bit: the Beach boys made some of the best rock music around from about 1962 (well, maybe '63) to 1971 with a couple other high point albums in the rest of the 70s (Matey's disparagement aside, stuff like Sunflower and Surf's Up are very highly regarded critically and Carl and the Passions, Holland, and Love You have been rediscovered as lost gems in the last couple decades. Maybe not to everyone's taste here, but insofar as we can appreciate creativity regardless of our own personal tastes, these guys were doing it). Then, yeah, they started sucking bigly. But it'd be like if the clash doubled their discography by making cut the crap over and over again and then people started asking if the band was ever good to begin with. Yeah, they were fucking brilliant at one point. Practically speaking, they didn't die off fast enough, and a couple of the wrong band members were the first to go when they did, to avoid the disgrace that a lot of other bands probably would have ended up in if they'd stuck together. The bad music exists, it is what it is. I think The Beach Boys are pretty much proof positive of the Neil Young "better to burn out that fade away" line being true from a legacy standpoint.

And, sure, the 80s and 90s were rough - and particularly rough given the way Mike Love conducts the affairs of the band - but they're hardly the only band or artist to put out crap during that period. I mean, Paul McCartney has released, what, 2 good-ish albums since 1973 (and, looking at his discography, I feel like I may be pretty generous with that)? So, yeah, when we're doing these deep dives on the worst periods of the band, we're inclined to just find a few good bits and pieces here. But it's worth keeping in mind that Matey's a lunatic. He's listening to crap I haven't touched in probably over a decade. It's a big world so no doubt there are weirdos who think this stuff is brilliant, but most fans do what clash fans do: spend time with the actual good stuff and just ironically appreciate the garbage every once in a while. Not that different than what we do here.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Not really. I was more responding to Doc's comparison to beach boys fans as being like IMCT on eet week.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 3:53pm
Not really. I was more responding to Doc's comparison to beach boys fans as being like IMCT on eet week.
I agree with your invocation of NY here, tho I'm clearly more in the camp that the burning out should have happened around the same time the Beatles packed it in. Lauding the 1970s stuff—and I'm far from as well versed as y'all—seems too much like squinting for me.