matedog wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 9:58am
JennyB wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 9:52am
$100 actually seems a bit steep: https://www.cameo.com/mikeloveofcl
When is Flex's birthday????
Wait, I thought we just for-funsies hated Flex. :huh:
Fun things can be done sincerely!
A real Xer wouldn't say something so heretical! That better have been uttered with rolling eyes or air quotes … :naughty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: The Thread to Ruminate About Mike Love's Rape Van

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Please enjoy this twitter roasting everyone!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"If it's me and yer granny on bongos, and I'm doing 'Kokomo,' it's the Beach Boys."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A Beach Boys-Limp Bizkit supergroup makes too much terrible sense.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I sent this to Flex earlier, but nothing like disparate worlds colliding:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 2:02pm
I officially like the Ramones a little less.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 2:02pm
So yesterday revbob posted KISS playing with Celine Dion and today matedog posts Marky Ramone drumming for Mike Love on Rockaway Beach...what's this world coming too? Man, my heads about to explode!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog

Post by matedog »

It's early May, so I'm going with my summer avatar. :cool:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

How much money would it take for Mike to endorse a Mike Love-brand douche?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Potential Hot Take Tuesday: Beach Boys 85 has aged worse than Still Cruisin' tracks. The keyboards on 85 are stifling and at least Still Cruisin' has a greater guitar emphasis.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 8:01pm
I missed this earlier. He does resemble a younger Mike Love. It's interesting that Fred Durst has become less of a villain as years/relevance have gone by.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 May 2022, 10:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I missed this earlier. He does resemble a younger Mike Love. It's interesting that Fred Durst has become less of a villain as years/relevance have gone by.
Speaking of, I read yesterday(?) that a LB show was canceled because of expected "chaos." I get that the band doesn't pull the plug on these things, but if you're seeking/struggling to maintain any kind of edgy cred, what a shiv to the gut of a reason to cancel.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 10:39am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Speaking of, I read yesterday(?) that a LB show was canceled because of expected "chaos." I get that the band doesn't pull the plug on these things, but if you're seeking/struggling to maintain any kind of edgy cred, what a shiv to the gut of a reason to cancel.
Just read some articles. It is a weird way to word it. I guess it's probably a good thing to err on the side of safety given the Travis Scott thing and the girl dying at one of their shows back in 01.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 May 2022, 10:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 10:39am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just read some articles. It is a weird way to word it. I guess it's probably a good thing to err on the side of safety given the Travis Scott thing and the girl dying at one of their shows back in 01.
Oh yeah, I agree. But when you're brand is rebelliousness and energy and blahblahblah, you're exposed. The Stones and Altamont exposed their bad boy posturing to be both phony and consequential.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
03 May 2022, 10:12am
Potential Hot Take Tuesday: Beach Boys 85 has aged worse than Still Cruisin' tracks. The keyboards on 85 are stifling and at least Still Cruisin' has a greater guitar emphasis.
You're not wrong. The production on 85 has aged very poorly, which is a shame because that album features some great Carl Wilson vocals. The Terry Melcher era that followed was a welcome return to actual instruments and while not close to groundbreaking, it's not hard to listen to. I've always felt they should have ditched tracks like Wouldn't It Be Nice from Still Cruisin' to include more of the contemporary tracks like Rock 'n' Roll to the Rescue or even their cover of California Dreamin' (which is actually not bad at all).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble